Steroids

Eczema Voice: Creams, Oils, Salts, Therapies (Alternative and New), Tests: Steroids
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fake view on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

rGohcy Only wanna comment that you have a very decent site, I love the layout it actually stands out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best pron on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:05 am:

lkaI62 Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog. Awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lucy ann on Monday, July 10, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

se9vll Usually I donaðÃÂðÃÂñÃÂâÃÂâÃÂðÃÂðÃÂðÃÂðÃÂñÃÂâÃÂâÃÂðÃÂâÃÂt read this kind of stuff, but this was genuinely fascinating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkservice fiverr on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

nc4Wxw It as truly a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By GoJatmqeJkR on Friday, January 01, 2016 - 03:20 am:

QnjuxG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork fiverr on Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

eABoWm Very nice article and right to the point. I am not sure if this is actually the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to get some professional writers? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork service on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

dz9NMo Thanks so much for the post. Keep writing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkservice seo on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

uZat1A Spot on with this write-up, I honestly think this website needs far more attention. I all probably be back again to see more, thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork service seo on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

ojEUkg Very good article! We will be linking to this great post on our website. Keep up the great writing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By backlinks on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 01:04 am:

OPrvX5 Many thanks for sharing this first-class write-up. Very interesting ideas! (as always, btw)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkservice fiverr on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

OwYhA6 Really informative post.Really thank you! Will read on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork fiverr on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

rJsBGv My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By michael crork on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

btcVr8 This website certainly has all of the information I wanted about this subject and didn at know who to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork service on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 04:43 am:

QlvI4t It as actually a great and useful piece of info. I am happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork service on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 02:33 am:

auQfia Im no pro, but I suppose you just made the best point. You certainly fully understand what youre talking about, and I can seriously get behind that. Thanks for being so upfront and so sincere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alex crork on Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

khkVxx Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article. Many thanks for providing this info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By com crorkzz on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:57 am:

ps8ITr Really informative article.Really thank you! Want more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By links crorkzz on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 05:13 am:

iSvxzv I value the post.Really thank you! Fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkzz catz on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

MipsEQ I value the article. Fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkservice fiverr on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

AWMYQ3 It's really a nice and useful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkz on Monday, April 06, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Hy3rqB Right now it looks like Expression Engine is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork mattew on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:43 am:

EF2a6q I've recently started a web site, the information you offer on this website has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crork mattew on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:27 am:

WhuuOg It's in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkz mattz on Friday, January 16, 2015 - 03:05 am:

lYeph7 Of course, what a magnificent blog and instructive posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.Best Regards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By matzcrorkz on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

vMtALj I truly appreciate this article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkz matz on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

A1VGhx Major thanks for the article.Thanks Again. Really Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By matzcrorkz on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 02:08 pm:

hgtcgc Very neat article post.Much thanks again. Will read on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crorkservice on Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

JyCium Im thankful for the blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nice penalty removal on Friday, July 04, 2014 - 12:40 am:

3vRYKv I really like and appreciate your article.Really thank you! Awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheap seo services on Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 11:29 pm:

FqAcGw I really enjoy the article post. Really Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By good backlinks on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

1dbeoL Looking forward to reading more. Great blog post. Really Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cheap seo services on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 02:26 am:

mrDBzs Looking forward to reading more. Great blog.Really thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seo company on Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

85RrCG Say, you got a nice blog post.Really thank you! Fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best prices on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

PUiYFr Looking forward to reading more. Great article.Much thanks again. Will read on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seo for cheap on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

gevNMv Thanks again for the article post.Much thanks again. Awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nice seo guys on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

cT4QHy I really enjoy the article.Thanks Again. Will read on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best prices on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Tym5DW I am so grateful for your article post. Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By stunning seo guys on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:44 am:

BhVnHT Great, thanks for sharing this article.Thanks Again. Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seo for cheap on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

BBcDLp Awesome article post.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seo for cheap on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:59 am:

ZOFHDe Major thanks for the blog post.Really thank you! Will read on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best prices on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

6YNGAK Hey, thanks for the article.Really thank you! Want more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best prices on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 01:23 pm:

NOh1vb I truly appreciate this article post.Really thank you! Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By awesome things! on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

ndsBQ4 Really appreciate you sharing this blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By awesome things! on Friday, January 31, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

7Qojpo Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post.Really thank you! Really Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By look at this on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

WzHm32 Very informative blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By stunning seo guys on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 01:07 am:

BkE8oL Muchos Gracias for your blog post.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By seo service on Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 07:17 pm:

GysCnJ Thanks for the article post. Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By awesome stuff here on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 05:20 am:

q64Cbi Im grateful for the blog post.Really thank you! Awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By top seo guys on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 11:15 pm:

CYVYbe Thanks for the blog.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By smashing top seo on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 05:27 am:

fev4KZ Say, you got a nice blog post.Really thank you! Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By check out these guys! on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 01:10 pm:

ZY76Iy Appreciate you sharing, great post. Awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By check out these guys! on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 05:55 am:

acBS06 Im obliged for the article.Much thanks again. Keep writing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By best link build on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 06:25 pm:

pt7OVO I really like and appreciate your blog.Much thanks again. Great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pro link building on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:12 pm:

yYcflq Thanks a lot for the article post.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By the best seo service on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 10:47 pm:

x06xmj Thanks for the blog.Much thanks again. Much obliged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gem Thompson on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 11:44 pm:

Hi I'm 28 and suffered with eczema since I was 5 had on my face for almost the whole of that time also have eczema on my scalp, hand, backs of arms and backs of legs. I was admitted to hospital when I was 15 for 3 weeks, Aveeno is the only relief I find for this eczema I eventually had enough and my GP referred me back to a dermatologist I was given a patch test to look at possible causes however on my 3rd visit (last week) he said he wants to re-do in 4 months time as he feels he's missed something. I 1000% believe it is food intolerance related don't give up hope people keep going back to your drs till they help you. I would demand they allergy test you. Steroid creams improve it for the short term but long term just no use creams will not cure the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kristin miller c/o connie harm on Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:08 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Carmen Fernández on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 08:34 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By LovingMother on Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 04:43 pm:

Just wanted to share, this might help you.
I have a 5 year old daughter who also has a problem in eczema due to her skin asthma. Before, it started to get worse when I stopped using any cream knowing they're steroids. The eczema got worse and produced puss. My sister-in-law used this "Ketoconazole Clobetasol Propionate" to her skin and in few days, it got better, Something my daughter had never experienced with other creams. I checked on the net if it is steroidal but it doesn't say. So guess this would be fine compare to other steroidal creams knowing that I have to use a cream to her every now and then because the eczema is coming back if she stops medicating. If you find out that this cream is a steroid or bad for the skin for a long time usage just let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By suzi on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 11:37 pm:

She clearly was not worth it.. Some people live in a perfect world so they think. I was hospitalized again and am back on oral steroids and my eczema is spreading like wild fire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By exzema sucks on Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 12:09 pm:

hi all
i have eczeama and it sucks a lot
im 18, thx to that my gf dumped me
thx exzeama

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jimmynv1vs on Friday, November 02, 2012 - 08:19 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By suzi on Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 01:06 pm:

I've been hospitalized for this curse eczema I've been blessed with im so fed up the dermotologists are selfish and only care about their next pay check we can just suffer as long as they have us guinea pigs to test their harmful creams on. I'm 21 I've had no lucks with all creams and always have allergic reactions to creams such as protopic, eumovate, fucidin, hydrocortisone, betnovate, e45 the only thing I can use is aveno cream. I'm feeling suicidal today as my FACE can't stop weeping and I do not want to be put on oral steroids again as the affects are too much for my body to handel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ked9000 on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:13 pm:

My sister HAD eczema. Her dermatologist gave her steroid creams, light treatments, etc. but did not cure it. She then stumbled across literature about evening primrose oil and was healed, completely. You do have to be patient - 4 to 6 weeks before she saw the results, gradually cured and then gone. She takes Nordic Natural brand of late but any non-chemically extracted brand (cold/expeller pressed - see web articles on this topic) should work - I think even the WalMart brand is expeller pressed at about $6 a bottle. My sister took two 500 mg capsules daily and then once healed, went to one daily. Most people would have to continue taking the evening primrose oil or the ecezma will eventually come back, at least for my sister, but the research indicates this oil is good for you unlike some alternate treatments. Best wishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By buttonbeats on Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 01:50 am:

Before the introduction of topical steroids in 1955, eczema in adults pretty much was non existent,- there is now a 400% increase . It was something you grew out of similar to ashma with puberty... if you have used steroids for more than two weeks, and you are unable to come off them, and your condition is spreading it is most likely NOT eczema but red skin syndrome. At a glance can be wrongly diagnosed and you will be given stronger steroids, which in turn will make the internal problem far worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By AnnaO on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 02:44 pm:

Hi all. Would really like some advice in regards to Hydrochortisone? I have had eczema on and off for about 9 years - always used diprobase and it's worked well. Recently I have got eczema around my mouth and eyes and diprobase is not getting rid of it. I went to a dermatologist today who prescribed me a 1% hydrochortisone ointment. I have put it on my mouth area about an hour ago but now it is really stinging, sore, feels like its pulsing and is much much redder. Is this a normal reaction? I have tried googling it but can't find much, I would really really appreciate any help as I feel helpless.
Thanks!
Anna

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mya on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:28 pm:

Just to let everyone know that the new ITSAN website is up and running on itsan.org.

It is a site dedicated to informing eczmea sufferers about the dangers of steroid cream overuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Blindhelix on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:44 am:

Please, PLEASE try to find an alternative to steroids. Google 'Steroid Withdrawal', 'Red Skin Syndrome', 'Doctor Rapaport UCLA' - people are discovering that years of using topical steroids has caused damage to their adrenal glands, and the process of giving up steroids is torturous. But the rebound effect of steroids is causing severe dermatitis in people who would otherwise only be suffering from minor eczema. Kicking the steroid habit is hard, but possible, and the results are amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By loopy on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:41 pm:

Hi. I stumbled on the "Red Skin Syndrome" websites and found the content fascinating. The steroids aren't treating the condition-they are CAUSING IT! looks like the only cure is to go cold turkey. i'm not looking forward to that at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Arenalbotanicalgarden on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 01:59 pm:

I use Physiogel A1. I have Eczema on both feet.It works well as long as I don't wear socks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By peter on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:38 am:

Another story of what happens when you use steroid cream for more than a few weeks, and maybe your path to cure! w w w.topicalsteroidcream.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By joeyrss on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 08:13 am:

Please read my story and other stories of the dangers of topical steroids addiction and withdrawals. You can get off them, it's hard at first, but you will heal. There are safer alternatives, one being a change in diet to low grain and sugar, lots of raw fruits and veggies. Check out my website "Red Skin Syndrome" and Facebook "Steroid Red Skin Syndrome." God bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mad me on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 07:06 pm:

update on the new cream from purepotions have tried it on my son ..it has soothed him from itching and it doesnt hurt or sting when applied..
but the downside is that its expensive for a small tub of 30ml.. it hasnt cured his eczema its still the same apart from no flaky ot dry skin.. its really greasy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mad me on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 11:37 am:

hi to all
my son aged 4 has had eczema since the age of 6 months.. evey now and again he gets and infection which makes it flare up! its now virtually all over his body.. whenever i go to the doctors he always prescribed steroid creams i really dont want to use them on him as i know the side affects of using them.. i came accross an article in the daily mail about a women who made her own cream to treat her daughters excema
link
maybe it will help all eczema sufferers..

h**p://???.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1368178/How-mothers-homemade-eczema-cure-turned-100-000-year-business.html
please check out this link replace the ** with tt and ? with www

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kera on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:46 am:

ok now am seriously haunted by severe eczema!!
i have read the most of the stories on this site and i dont think anybody has bin on more steriodal cream and pills as i have..
i am 19 yrs old and i have had eczema from i was a child but i didnt have it severe i only hand it on my hands and in the back of me knees.When i turn age 17 i then realize that my skin had took its turn for the worst it is now EVERY WHERE!
i know what your thinkin!.. (oh she hasnt had it that long,she dosnt know how it feels)WELL YOUR WRONG!! waking up in the middle of the night..every night shaking your bed out because you feel like your laying in the sand and its not really sand but the dry scales of your skin,and so are your nails.
i have seen more than one doctor in my years and medications i was told to use where useless! i remembered one time i was told to use prednisone... this drug had many side affects i started to gain weight and i noticed a color change in my skin i started to turn a bit pink!.
I am now on which some of you know advantan milk and it work but only for a period of time,the doctor dosnt have to tell me its steriods because when am out my body shows it needs it! and i know with in my self thats not healthy!
so pretty much to you all the steriod users... steriods is not a safe alternative but i need a doctor to tell me that and also give me something that works !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nf on Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 07:29 am:

hi all,

I stumbled across this website and thought it was great that something like this exists for us all.

I'll begin by telling you i'm 27 and have suffered from eczema all my life. It was very bad when I was young and has gotten somewhat better over the years (until this year it was particularly bad :S)

Anyways the main point of my message that I want to make is that I have no faith in the steroid treatments or the pharmaceutical companies that make them.

From my experience all these steroids do is suppress the symptoms for a while. Ultimately the minute you stop using them the symptoms return.

Now if you are a company who makes money selling medicine to people are you gonna want to sell them something that solves their problem? Or are you gonna want to sell them something they have to end up using their whole life??? The second option means a lot more $$$ for the pharmaceutical companies!

I find it very VERY hard to believe that this disease is not curable in today's day and age of modern science. There are far worse and more complicated medical conditions we've conquered!

I strongly advise everyone to consider alternative medicines.

Peace and good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By julieann on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 01:35 pm:

hi my son has suffered from the age of two and a few years ago my moms friend said to me try and cut down on his sugar intake as sugar boils the blood and can cause itching we have and he dosent suffer half as much now but if he has lots of sugar he itches and then its a vicious circle remmber there is sugar in so much we eat i hope this helps someone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rainrowan on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 12:45 am:

My son is now almost 7 and this year his eczema has cleared up considerably. He had awful eczema all over his lips, flare ups behind his legs, dry skin all over. We've been diligent with his diet, he has a gluten free casein free diet. And recently we incorporated quite a lot of cooked pureed greens into his diet. I think this really did much to improve his gut function. His eczema has cleared and his skin is nice and elastic and soft now.

I recommend before you give your children any steroid creams etc, please go to an allergist and gastro-enterologist to have tests done on your child. IMO there is a definite correlation to diet, the gut, allergies and eczema. Find the offending allergen, take it out of your diet and see how your gut feels. If it improves, less prone to allergies. Less eczema. Eczema is a result of the gut not being able to digest a food allergen properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By hboyd4 on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

I took my four year old son to the doctor for itchy elbows and knees and the doctor referred me to a dermatologist. He gave me triamcinolone acetonide ointment 0.1 % and the doctor told me to apply the above ointment 2-3 times a day for no more than 2 weeks. I stopped after the two weeks and it was pretty much cleared. We waited another week until I could see the dermatologist and the itchy bumps were back. The dermatologist told me that there was no way that the medicine could have worked in two weeks and to start using it again. She also told me that this will be his medicine for life for when he has outbreaks. I started doing some research on this medication since he is using it for life. I quickly found out that it is very potent and can thin the skin and isn't very good for children his age. I stopped the medication. My question is, can this medication cause mood swings in my son? He is SO irritable and his mood is fluctuating like crazy. I just read that you need to taper off of this medicine so there isn't steroid withdrawal??? That doesn't sound safe. Could my son be absorbing to much steroid and having mood swings from it? Thanks for any information. I am very concerned. I am taking him to another dermatologist in two days so I would like to have all the knowledge I can when I go to the appt. This diagnosis is new to me and I am looking for all the help I can get for my son. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MsD on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 04:58 am:

I wanted to list what finally worked for my foot eczema after horrible symptoms lasting almost a complete year.

First, I went to three different doctors during this year. One regular doc, one podiatrist and one allergist.

I was given a RX for Kerol Emulsion(50% Urea) and that softens the skin so the cracks wouldnt bleed in my feet. It didnt cure it...but helped a bit.

Next I was given Protopic 0.1% (RX tacrolimus ointment)...it worked great....my skin started looking much better, but it wouldnt get rid of the flaky, thick skin....but did get rid of the thick yellow skin on the bottom of my feet....I was told that happens as the skin gets thick.
I was told not to stay on this medicine long term as it could cause issues, I was on it 2 months...so no problems.

I then listened to another person from a forum an bought Calendalis Plus Cream for Eczema & Psoriasis by Grahams ....didnt do anything, but stinks bad...lol

Finally I went to an allergist and he really wanted to help me out, so he sais lets try to attack the cause...after determining I wasnt allergic to any food, etc...he put me on the following:
1) sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160 tablets 1 tablet 2x day (this is for an infection...he wanted to make sure if I had an infection thats causing the feet to be so bad, we attack it with meds)
2) Xyzal 5mg tablets 1 x day ...(dont really think I need to be on this, but I think he did it in case it was an allergy reaction)
3)AND THE WONDER DRUG!! he put me on was OLUX-E (RX, clobetasol propionate foam, 0.05%) this is a steriod foam that goes on the affected area 2 x day....its practically completely cleared up my feet eczema after a year!!!
4) Told me to buy VANICREAM Moisturizing ckin cream and soap (sold at Walgreens). It has no dye, fragrances, etc...and was told to use the soap to wash with and ten moisturize with the cream within 3 minutes after showering.

So, I hope this helps someone get the right medicine to cure your eczema. I know I am thrilled I finally got it beat (for now) and wanted to help whoever I could with my story.

Take care!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Hiding on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:24 am:

Hey, I have had Eczema since I was about 13 and it has gotten worse and worse and I am now 17. I had three different steroid creams which I used at different times and they did work but my face was almost too smooth looking and it was weird. At the time I did not know the steroid creams were dangerous. Ever since I used those creams anytime I put on moisturiser it doesn't seem to sink into my skin at all. It just stays there and my face looks seriously greecy! Does anyone else get that? I am so paranoid about the greecy thing and as if the eczema isn't enough. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By shelv11 on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:25 am:

Hi All

Im 19 years old and have always suffered from quite bad eczema, I found the best way to help this was betnovate and therefore are given monthly prescriptions. Oilatum is also very good for in the bath.

My eczema comes on the inside of my arms, shoulders and neck! so its quite bad as you can tell.

I want to try Eumovate does any1 the differences between this and betnovate?

Dont let this stupid skin condition get you down,

p.s with youngsters i was also told to avoid dirty waters but just go for it

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Suzanne on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 09:48 am:

Hey JediKnight,

My heart goes out to you and I can relate to all the hell you are going through. This desease is horrorific!!!! I am by no means an expect and I can only speak from my own experience which is extensive, I am 47 yrs old and have been battling this condition basically all my life but the last seven years it has been cronic and I have been hospitalised several times with it.

I know its hard but try and stay away from the steroid creams if you can, easier said than done, I know! The thing is over time and with continuous use these creams will thin the skin and believe me you don't want that. Only use them when you really have too. Have you thought about taking cyclosporin, just to give your skin a chance to heal and it will also help with the itch. I know there are side effects with this drug and you will have to have blood tests to monitor your kidney and liver function but it might give you a chance to recover physically and mentally. I know how exhausting it is living with this 24/7.

The other things I would say it moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!!!! Don't have hot baths or showers which can be very tempting this will only dry your skin out even more. It's better to apply a thin layer of moisturiser and do so often, every hour or two rather than trying to pile heaps on all in one go. Cetaphil cream I have found to be very good. Try and wear cotton clothing next to the skin as this allows the skin to breath don't wear nylon or synthetic. Start taking some sort of omega oil you need to get moisture back into you skin.

I hope this has been of some help, I like to say there is a magic cure but unfortunately there isn't, it's all trial and error, what works for one person may not work for you, you just have to keep trying until you find something that gives you relief. The people on this forum are wonderful and are going through the same thing you are, take the time and read what they have to say, you might stumble across something that can help you.

Take care of yourself and don't give up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Morpheus on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:40 am:

Please look at this book:

The Eczema Solution by Susan Armstrong-Brown

You can find it on amazon. It's a programme of habit reversal to help you stop scratching. I used it about 6 years ago now and apart from scars am more or less eczema free. I had previously tried the steroids, UVA light treatments, protopic etc and nothing really helped - they were about to put me on immunosuppresant drugs but I decided to give this a go by myself and it paid off.

Hope it works for you like it did for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By JediKnight on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:13 am:

IS THERE A HOPE?

I just woke up SCRATCHING myself YET AGAIN :( and there were dried pieces of my dead skin everywhere on the bed (i know, its gross..) and i just felt like not going back to sleep, so here I am.
wow, and i found this site and it feels weird to see that I wasn't the only person suffering in this world, after all.
okay, so... I'm a teenage girl and i am pretty sensitive about the whole skin disaster issues i have. NO ONE in my school has eczema, and at times I envy them because they seem so... carefree about their skin, which I can never even dream about.
i dont know, my eczema wasn't that bad but starting from the second half of this school year it got worse. i have it everywhere, so theres no need to name the parts.

hmmm, where should i begin? i've had it as long as i could remember, and I used to tell my friends that i got my scars from tripping on the ground or falling down the stairs. At night, I constantly scratch myself; I try not to, and i've tried everything to prevent it. I tried putting on bandages, which end up being ripped apart by my scratch-hungry fingernails. I also tried wrapping around my arms with old t shirts, which didn't work.
There are spots and dark marks on my legs so I basically can't wear any shorts and what not.. or else I'd be overwhelmed by embarassement. I know, I dont want to feel embarassed, but... yeah.

Weird thing is, no one in my family has eczema. One of my relatives has it, but she has recovered from it a long long time ago. When i see other people wearing shorts or skirts, I get so depressed. I truly believe that depression can be one of the scariest effects of eczema. Sometimes thoughts of suicide were racing in my head. But I stopped myself. When I got stressed out from school or couldn't freaking stop myself from worrying about all the scars i've left on my body, my skin got worse and I felt like crap. I took it out on my family, parents.... which I really shouldn't have.
Seeing how nobody around me has it, I felt even more depressed and isolated and lonely. My dad always tells me not to scratch myself like a maniac, but HOW CAN I FREAKIN STOP? No one really knows how it feels unless they have this disease.

GRRRR I think i might even be suffering from insomnia soon cause i can't sleep at night. my skin's too itchy and everywhere feels like its burning. I just can't go to sleep. I even fear going to sleep cause i know im gonna end up scratching the barely healed parts of my skin. The next day, when i see my arms and legs all marked with tints of blood and scaly pieces, I get so depressed and I feel like crying. I have it on my fingers too, and they are kinda bloated and they dont look normal for sure. I'm so sick of getting all these cuts and scaly spots and redness... I dont know how things could go worse (BELIVE ME, they actually do....)

as for medication, I currently use aloe gel/cream and Epicerum, which is comparatively alright. I also use this steroids ointment and cream, but I think I really shouldn't. I've been getting these big, itchy red spots all over my belly, and they look like the pictures i've found on the side effects of steroids on the web. yeah, but steroids seem to work the best for me, so idon't really know. The thing is, I really do take eczema seriously, but my family doesnt care about it enough. they're really passive about it.

yeah.... so thats just some wretched part of my life i had to talk about. I'd greatly appreciate any facts or useful info about whether i should use steroids or not. thanks for reading and sorry its too long!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jay on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:16 am:

Hey guys,
I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. I had eczema ever since I was a small child. Now, I am 20 and it has become severe, over most of my body. I tried numerous ointments and creams, herbal medicine. The dermatologist prescribed me prednisone for the first time. It's at a dosage of 20mg/day for 2 weeks. I was hoping to see if anybody took this before and what problems did they experience if any? I guess it's the similar question to earthbiscuit. I would appreciate any help.

Keeping a healthy diet of more veggies/fruits have definitely helped, staying away from fried, oily food would be key. Eczema is hard to deal with, wishing everyone the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Liz500 on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

Hi

I have had eczema all my life and have had varying levels of intensity. Through the years, I have found ways to keep it at bay and now I hardly get any eczema at all. (only when I am very stressed) and I know how to keep it from getting out of control.

I don't use steroids anymore but just stay away from substances I know will cause me to become itchy such as almost any material apart from cotton, food preservatives and colourings, harsh chemicals, perfume among others. I found an excellent site that just compounds what I discovered myself.

It is remedyforeczemablog.com

This site includes many aspects of eczema and ways to treat it. It is worth checking out.

All the best.

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tammy on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 05:52 pm:

I am a 37yr old woman who has been living with exzema all my life. When I was 12yrs old a doctor percribed topicort(desoxometasone) .25 for me. I was broke out on the neck, arms, hands, mouth, legs... seems everywhere. It was my mirical cure. I only use in sparing amounts and only while needed. I have never noticed any ill effects and I recomend it to anyone with eczema.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Earth Biscuit on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

Thanks Miss Allergic.
I can only imagine if this were my own wedding.
I keep thinking in the back of my head, "when it's time for me to get married, I have to look flawless...but can that ever happen?"

The tip on the nude panty hose is a good idea. I was thinking of doing that anyways.

My nails are perpetually short. From all the moisturizing, I feel I have the shiniest strongest nails which don't work well with my constantly inflamed fragile skin. Catch 22 I suppose.

Anyways, I will take the presnidone. Why do I feel guilty? (just thinking out loud).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By miss allergic on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 03:26 pm:

Hi there Earth Biscuit I know your pain. I had the same worries when I got married myself. Noone really understands how worrying it really is. I would suggest that as it is only a week away to the wedding you should cut your nails down as far as you can take them to prevent yourself from scratching. Make sure that you keep moisturising your skin as much as possible also to prevent further outbreaks. I would take the medication as I know there are longterm problems with the medication but worrying about your skin does a lot of harm aswell. When my skin breaks out on my legs I wear two pairs of natural coloured tights and it covers up a lot of the eczema.From far away it looks like you are in bare legs. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By earthbiscuit on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:46 pm:

I just wanted to get all of your advice before I decide to take any presnidone. I have taken it before but only as a last resort.

In a week, my older sister is getting married. I am the maid of honor and I have a beautiful strapless knee length dress to wear. This is an outdoor wedding and I just want to look and feel normal. Curently, my eczema is the worst of my legs and back. Having eczema makes me so depressed and robs my of my self esteem. I want to take the steroids so that in time for the wedding, I am eczema free. I know that it will only be a fleeting moment where this is true, but do you think it'd be okay to take it to calm the rash for the wedding?

If I get a dose pack, what day should I start taking it if the wedding is in a week. I don't want to start too soon becuase if I end my last pill before the wedding I fear that I will start scratching. I don't want to take it too late because I want to give myself time for the presnidone to work.

I know this all sounds so vain, but this is my sister's wedding. This is her special day and I don't want my nasty skin and mood to disrupt any of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By stacey on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:50 am:

my son is 6 years he i started to see eczema on his face from about 2 years old i took him to the doctors concerned and jus got told when his happy it will go and when his sad it will come this did not ease my concerns. i went back and doctor gave me hydrocortisone creams this is all i seem to be able to get from docs to treat this ive asked for endless skin tests and have just been put on endless waiting lists i see it that eczema is part of an allergic reaction so if i could find what it is that irritates it in order to flare up i could then stop giving this to him. had a test eventually they wasnt much help at all so back to the docs for yet more steroid cream. now he has white patches all over his face neck and arms so really im jus looking for something that will help me even his complextion back to how it was before i started using these creams th\at have bleached his skin precribed by my doctor. i refuse to use the cream anymore jus try creams with no purfume in it if anyone knows of any creams i could use for his skin tone please let me know as i hope his not left with the patches permently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ballin09 on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:24 pm:

Alright.. So i have been doing some general research and haven't found much. I am dealing with the fact that my skin bleaches out from the steroids in my medicine. I cant use the non steriod creams because they arent strong enough.
I find myself losing the battle to this, and i feel I am running out of options and not to mention my body is covered in white splotches.
Anyone have any ideas??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rainrowan on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:23 pm:

Chestnutty, it's been several months but to answer you, if you google the following it will come up:

" Analysis of Chinese herbal creams prescribed for dermatological conditions "

The description of the ointment and pot was similar to what I was given. I decided not to take any chances. In the meantime, my son's eczema cleared up with vigilant applications of Aquaphor and Vanicream

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Chestnutty on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:15 am:

Rainrowan, What did you google if cream came without a label?! Herbal Creams by definition contain no steroids. I got the best results from the herbal cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rainrowan on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:12 am:

Does anyone know about Chinese herbal creams for eczema? I was recently given a jar of it and was told it worked wonders. I appreciated the gesture, but I am leery of it's herbal claims since the jar came without a name, nor a label of its ingredients and possibly not government approved. I googled and came up with mention of dexamethasone which is a potent steroid (40 times more than hydrocortisone) used in some of these herbal creams. Can anyone comment if they know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Google on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 03:22 am:

google.com.. use me..

Really... if you are that concerned.. do some real research or go see a doctor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By NCA on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:46 pm:

Dear Smithy

Are you still taking the steriods and if so are you still seeing the benefits as you reduce.

My 9 year old has been taking 30mgs of prednisolone for 2 weeks so far, prescribed by GOSH, she also takes azathioprine. The eczema especially on her feet and fingers was so severe that she was unable to do a lot of daily activities and making her feel so low. The skin would flare up every day during the day. The steriods have been started as a trial to see if they help and then decide on a longer plan of action, we are going to reasses after 4 weeks of treatment. She had already tried PUVA and all the very potent steriod creams and the eczema got worse. At the moment the skin is improving each day. Still have a way to go as the skin still flares up during the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By GetHelp on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 07:21 am:

I'm currently dealing with a big flare-up. I can't use any steroid creams because my skin's in the weepy stage. In fact I can't put anything on it at the moment because it just oozes-out again and it stings and itches. Therefore I'm staying in the house (I look really bad) and taking warm salt baths (very soothing) while listening to the radio. It's gradually improving, but my face is very painful and tight and my ears are constantly weeping. I'm looking forward to the dry stage when I can use moisturizer again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By m@ on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 01:40 pm:

Hi Ecezma
what natural medications did you use for your facial eczema to "cure it"
cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eczema on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:16 am:

concerned,

Hi i use to have really bad eczema on my face, body, legs and arms and i was presribed prednisone to suppress it. It work really well initially but the effect eventually wears out and i have to increase the dosage.

This seems to be the favourite choice of dermatologist but i realize that it causes a very bad ache in my back which is also where my kidney is.

I will like to appeal to everyone of you to please stop using it as the side effects are

no 1 ) decrease in bone mass
2 breakdown of immune system
3 kidney and liver function deteoriation
4 bloating of body.

I have since stop using it and I am now completely cured from my eczema through natural medication.

Trust me...it works better

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CIDESCOgrad on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 07:54 am:

Good Day to all..... I am a certified Esthetician which I see skin disorders all the time. I would first like to say that Steroids are way way toooooo over prescribed. The Steroid itself actually breaks down the skin making it thinner thus causing new skin cells to regenerate in hopes of genarating new healthy skin cells. However this makes the skin weaker and more likley to spilt and weep.

I think the easiest cure for Ezeama or other dermatis is the following:

1)Apply pure glaxsobase cream to the skin which the glaxso hydrates the skin helping it to heal.

2)Then apply pure glycerin cream to the skin over the glaxso the glycerin acts a humectant which basically attracts moisture by holding it in. This will act as a barrier keeping the glaxso on the skin and prevent moisture evaporation of the skin.

Also try to wear gloves at night with plenty glaxso to keep moisture in and to prevent you from scatching while you sleep as the Eczema is itchist at night.

3)Second natures greatest cure the SUNNNNNNN VIT D and UVA exposure. Vit D is only produced in the body by the sun naturally of course within limits and dont sunbath but 20 mins outside everyday will do wonders. Or the tanning bed two mins per day no more than that as the UVA omitted from the tanning bed produces the Vit D in our bodies as well the Sun and the Sunbed UVA is a natural healing agent and is antibacterial this will also help with Acne.

If you are using a high SPF on the effected areas more than SPF 20 this will contribute to your acne or eczema making it worse.

I hope this helps many people.

Let me know how this works for you. :) :) :)

Best of Luck :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By smithy on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 05:59 pm:

Hi everyone, i have just found this website and was glad that i did. I am 32 and have had severe eczema all my life that is constantly weeping and is also very raw. I recently saw a new dermatologist who has put me on prednisolone 30mg for a month and then 25mg a month and so on untill it drops to 0 untill i come off them. I have been on them four days now and the results are very good but i am a little worried of the side effects as they are already upseting my stomach. I was wondering if anyone has been treated like this and if so do you have any advice which would be grately apprciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kompagirl on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 02:51 am:

Hi,
My name is Edeline. I'm 30 years old and I have been seeing dermatologists for a long time for the intense itching all over my body--and my face is,well, let's just say that it's hard to leave the house. The bumps, scars from scratching, and holes left behind are just unbearable. The problem is that all the derms that I've seen have told me that it's acne when I know for a fact that it's eczema. After reading the messages posted, I realize that I was right all along. Every posting I read described exactly the same problem I have, if anybody has found new information on this matter please let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Georgia on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:14 pm:

Hi I am Georgia and I am 16 and I live in Essex [but I am not a typical Essex girl]

I was put on Prednisolone steroids for my eczema, and they did clear it up a lot. But I would not recommend them to anybody as they made me have terrible mood swings [them as well as the normal teenage ones] and made me go to the loo constantly. Also, they may have caused severe damage with my insides, meaning I may be unable to become pregnant when I am older.

It sucks.

I am also on a milk free diet, and that has completely stopped my hayfever!! Wayhey!!

In response to Lauren, I know just how you feel. People always say 'don't itch' but its not that simple. As I am writing this, my arms are in bandages.

In regard to scars, I have many all over my body, but they do fade eventually. I have learnt to love them, and they are part of me.

Dont give up hope.

Love to you all x

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emma r on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:27 pm:

Kaz........... please look in to your sons diet for answers first like "wheatfreecured" says they have Celiac, where as on the flip side my son is allergic to milk, no milk in his diet = no eczema..........doctors tried to give me steroids and scoffed at me when i said my son had a milk allergy, but my gut told me he did and i was right!

My sons eczema started around 3months and this is when eczema connected to allergy often rears its ugly head, from 3months onwards.

Of course its your decision at the end of the day, but think to your self for a moment, could it be connected to food.

Good luck, its a tough road xxxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ninaanne on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 01:52 am:

Does laundry detergent, fabric softener, bleach play a role in this eczema problem? My fiance has it really bad on his wrists. I am trying all sorts of different things but he is so stubborn! He can only stand one type of detergent which is Gain. Anything else makes him itch to no end.

Also, his nephew has it as well and we found out that when he visited family in Mississippi and went to the ocean, his outbreaks decreased dramatically. So does this mean that the salt water helps as well? What about chlorinated water from a pool? Will that help? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jamie on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:35 pm:

hi everyone, ive sufferered with facial eczema for many years,I am now 27yrs old. I was recently using moderately strong steroids, but didnt want to use them regularly so decide to use a mild steroid which is effective but not as effective the moderate one. Does anyone know whether it is ok to go back to the moderate steroid as just a one of then continue with the mild steroid. I would appreciate any positive feedback. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wheatfreecured on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 05:46 am:

Kaz........

Please get another opinion; read what is on this site....

medicinenet.com/prednisolone/article.htm

I have Celiac... was misdiagnosis for 47 years...
I was told by a derm that I had eczema.... this course of treatment is serious... what does the Pediatric Doctor have to say about it..?
Do you live in the United States ?

Your gut is telling you that this is not a good idea and I agree..please research, for your son's sake.

j

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kaz on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 08:47 pm:

My 21 month old son is suffering from severe eczema and has done since he was 3 months. We saw his dermatologist yesterday and she has prescribed a course of prednisolone oral steroids. I was very unsure when she told me the side effect of it stopping him growing while he is taking it. We haven't started it yet as I have to wait for an appointment at the doctors to have his blood pressure checked to get a base reading then his blood pressure will have to be checked every week while he is taking the medication. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had experience of this steroid with a toddler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By getHelp on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:43 am:

Sherry - I'm prone to weepy scalp, which is a revolting feeling all around the back of the head and behind the ears. The solution is anti-dandruff shampoo containing zinc pyrithione (spelling?) - massage it in then leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing. Repeat for a few days and it'll go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Chiqqy on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 04:14 pm:

Can anyone get me any FUCIBET cream??
My Doc won't give it to me as he says the government have banned it cos of MRSA or something.
I will pay you!!
PLEASE!!!!!!! HELP!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jean9v on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 04:39 pm:

mumfo,
Your son is having an allergic reaction if his eys are swelling... have him tested for food allergies... animal... milk...go to a pediatric allergy doctor.

j

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mumof2 on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 04:41 am:

my 11months old gets excema very bad all over but his cheeks are the worse even to the stage where his eyes swell, went to a dermatologist today and he told me water is the worst enemy, im only allowed to shower or bath him 1 time every 2 weeks and he is to be in there no longer than 2 minutes, then i have to apply 2 whole tubes of advantan oinment to him for 2 weeks and it should clear.. ive tried soooooo much and i really hope this works..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By borko on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:08 pm:

hi,i`m borko from serbia,nis city(student of medicine).as you already know,Dyshidrosis(or Eczema palmoplantaris vesiculosum,pompholyx) is special type of eczema with selective localisation on both hands and feet.it is the reaction to some stimulantes.also,the caracteristic are blisters on the palms and the feet.causes are unknown.irritating chemicals,microbes,season,microclime,sweating,stress are external factors.there are also internal factors:constitution and atopic.also,contact with some proteins from food(urticaria syndroma) and latent sensitivity to some metals like nickel.also,fungal infection and allergy.there a lot of things to say about,but there is no space.it is important to avoid scratching the rash ,because of secondary bacterial infection.The blisters often cause intense itching and once the blisters dry, they often leave cracks and painful grooves (fissures) in your skin.so,moisturize with a hand cream after washing your hands,take measures to protect your hands from irritants.D. is very boring,it can back from time to time.therapy is with high potency corticosteroids creams or ointments,you can try one with BETAMETHASONUM.and Antihistamines like AERIUS 5mg(desloratadine)from schering-plough.you can also drink B-vitamin preparates,anyway they are good for skin generaly.as i said,to cure the D.is very boring and in most cases with no much efficiency,if you don`t find the cause,it is just symptomatic.it backed again and again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sherry on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 05:43 am:

Hello everyone. It is quite a relief to hear that I am not alone in this ongoing battle with eczema. I also have terrible flare-ups and always carry cortaid in my bag. I've tried everything on my skin, and now within the last 2 years I've been allergic to salon hair color treatments for coloring gray. I'm only in my early 30's and my scalp literally weeps by the evening after having my hair colored. I've been on prednisone numerous times and I'm at the end of my rope with my skin. Any thoughts on hair color that is eczema-safe?
I fully appreciate any feedback...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By S on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 04:22 pm:

where do i get ADVANTAN MILK CREAM?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sadsufferer on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:32 am:

Every day I take 2 fish oil capsules, apply QV to my, chest, stomach, arms and legs. then apply "Advantan". It helps heal, but how can I heal if I am still itchy? i just keep scratching unwillingly. I think it would probably work on someone who can control their itch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dom on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:44 am:

I think the danger is that whilst it may clear the problem up short term, in the long term the problem could come back with a vengeance. Of course, it varies from person to person but the general advice seems to be to try not to use steroid based solutions on the face

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By peaches on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:08 am:

when my son started nursery at the age of 22 mnth there was also a baby 2 mnths younger with a terrible amount of eczema,her mom told me that she was using e45 but nothing seems to work.her brother-in-law brought her a jar of wau wa cream and i saw the child the other day and it properly heal up,so why are you advicing not to use wau wa cream.because im thinking of buying a jar myself to use on my son .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By stef on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:23 am:

hiya. i have really bad eczema on my legs, which flares up practically every summer, i was wondering the fact that sunbeds are meant to be good for it but how is that if the summer makes it flare up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gina on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 07:07 pm:

Hi Noodlz

Have you had allergy tests done? They have worked wonders for my daughter who sounds very much like you (the eczema on the face I mean). Now I have cut out all the allergens and cut down on foods containing histamine she is clear. She is unrecognisable form the child who barely had no skin on her face. There are solutions out there I promise. Do a search on the net for Dr Adrian Morris, his consultation costs £140 but my daughter now has no eczema and I never would have believed it. Let me know if you need any more advice.

Good luck

Gina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By xxxxxx on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:41 pm:

Ever since i was born i have suffered from eczmea. When i was a young child growing up, they found out that it was a result of an allergy to dairy produce, i was put on creams such as 'diprobase' and it was cleared up. The only time i was ever affected was when i ate something of pure dairy. The most horrific thing about my skin condition was-- the people around me at school. From the age of 9 to the age i am now (15) i have been ridiculed and had spiteful comments made to me by the people who call themselves 'friends.' i can eat chocolate in moderation now, but whenever i do i face vicious verbal attacks from the people in my class. just the other week they tried to force me to eat a scotch egg in front of them- knowing what it would do to me. Well a few weeks ago i had a week of exams and the pressure brought up my skin and you could not see my face for eczema. Finally the people around me realised how severe my skin condition is and they do now understand. but it took something that bad to happen to make them understand. If you know anyone with this condition i beg of you- be understanding. And yes- my eczema has gone now- until the next outbeak that is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Christie on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 04:01 am:

To Noodlz,

Your e-mail almost made me cry. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I don't have eczema but my son does. I can't say I know a lot but here are some things to try:

Drink Aloe Vera (my 5 year old takes about 2 tablespoon from Forever Living everyday)

Take Omega 3 (he takes 4 ml almost 1 tablespoon) and one capsule of Evening Primose Oil

He takes a multi-vitamin w/ high Vit B, takes about 2000% of vit C throughout the day, and calcium and magnesium.

He soaks about 3 times a week. Sometimes in Epsom Salt and sometimes in Baking Soda. We have heard good things about oatmeal but he is allergic to it. We put pure Aloe Vera gel on him then greasy stuff like Vaseline or Aquaphor. We have heard petroleum products aren't good and have been trying to switch to plant based oil.

He's on a restricted diet, has allergies to a lot of food items.

If you take a lot of antibiotics, it disrupts your intestial flora i.e. killing the good bacteria along with the bad which then allows yeast to overrun your system. There are prescription yeast killer like Nystatin or natural ones like Grapefruit Seed Extract, Oregano oil, etc. While taking yeast killers, supplement with probiotics.

I think the first thing we did, giving him Aloe Vera to drink really made a dramatic difference. It literally healed the cracks in his fingers which he had for months within days. I swear it was miracle.

Good luck to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By noodlz on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 02:26 pm:

HELP PLEASE!:(
I wish someone can...
HIYA ive been suffering with eczema all my life.
But this year my whole future has been ruined becuase of my constant suffering im failing college and have limited prospects as im always suffering.

At the moment ive had lychenified skin on my arms neck face AND IT IS NOT SEEM TO BE HEALING FOR ABOUT THREE-FIVES MONTHS,:(
IT SMELLS REAALY BAD AND IT WEEPS AND OCCASION ITCH RUINES THE HALING PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN.MY ANTIHISTAMINES DONT SEEM TO HELP.
MY FACE IS STARTED CRACKING AND WEEPING THEY ODNT SEEM TO HEAL JUST GET WORSE,, MY FACE IS WOUNDED VERY EASILY AND HAS RED ANGRY SORES WITH A SMELL:(:( i hope theres hope.. my necks been like this wounded unhealing and easily damamged it weeps and is pigmeneted the smell is intoxicating,,,the antibiotics dont seem to work..im allergic to emoilents and vaseline. Every morning my skin is damaged and weeping or swollen. my life now is a downward spiral:(
someone please help...
i take 1 spoon of flaxseed oil a day and vitamins a, c, e and b12 but im stil in this mess.

I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL:(
heres my email adress :nadz_2_bad@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pintea on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 02:52 pm:

Viola Tricolor (Violae Tricoloris on many web sites in foregn languages) infusions worked for me.
I had a cure of one month when I was a kid and it kept me away from eczemas for over 20 years.
I recently had an eczema, but I couldn't find the plant anywhere in the UK (there are some tinctures based on this plant that you can find on the web).
The steroid cream recommeded by my GPs solved the problems only temporarily (they started again soon after stopping the treatment).
I managed to get some dried Viola Tricolor and drinking a low concentration infusion seems to work. My eczema stopped itching after a few days of using it and now it looks like it is healing (I have only been using it for about 10 days).
The recommended treatment is to drink an infusion (1 tea spoon/200ml infused for 10 min) 3 times a day for 30 days, then stop and restart the treatment after another 30 days if necessary.
This infusion can be also used externally in stronger concentrations (I can't give more details, as I read this in a book a long time ago).

There seem to be some research into the properties of this plant and there are some articles on the web, but not too many although many herbalists appear to be using them in England.

All I can say is that so far this treatment worked for me and I only posted this because I really believe that it can help many of the people reading this forum.

PS. Chamomile was also used both externally and internally for treating eczema. It is known as a very mild remedy, but it may help as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rita on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:43 pm:

My daughter had eczema as a baby and redeveloped it when she was 2. At 5 she kept getting recurrent staph infections on her whole body, we finially got referred to National Jewish Hospital in Denver Colo. We learned to do wet wraps, found out her allergies, and are using Fluconazole on her red spots, Vanicream all over. We are managing her eczema , no more staph infections!!!The wet wraps rehydrate her skin. We also have to give her hydroxyzine for itching 3 to 4 times a day. We are so glad we went so we could see a light at the end of tunnel. It is not a cure but we can live a much normaler life. Rita

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Brent79 on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:52 pm:

Hi everyone. My name is Brent and i have been suffering eczema all my life. I am now 27 and while my eczema has improved ALOT since childhood, i still get dry skin which of course makes it itch and become rashy. Its obvious from my latest (addiction) to prednisone that our bodies are reacting to an immflamitory agent. I believe its caused by our bodies not producing enuf corticosterone. Why its not is anyones guess. After a small dose of prednisone, my skin becomes oily again and the rashes and itch clear. I know of the side effects of steriod suppliment but its the only relief i know of that actually works. We need to find a way to stimulate the adrenal gland to produce its own cortisone steriods naturally. I believe thats what the real problem is.. ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By verity on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:36 am:

i have had eczema since i was born and i have been given eumovate to treat it on my back
it has now flared up on my chest
is it safe to use eumovate on my breasts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Helenupsidedown on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 04:16 pm:

hi all
ive had eczema now since 6months and im now 31 urgh it comes and gos and as crusty said earlier gets crusty and people stare. ive been put on fucibet for the first time and hoping it makes a difference. ive dun all the diet rubbish and allergy tests and i still come to the same conclusion that upsets and the cold trigger it off so why cant we have a move to somewhere sunny and relaxing on the NHS hmm shall we all rally around and see if we can get it passed through parliment!!! hope everyone is itching less and getting better xx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Michelle on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:59 pm:

I've had eczema since I was 5,now i'm in my late 20's.It used to flare up around my lips,face,arms,hands and legs but now it's just mainly on my hands.I know how you all must feel because I felt quite irritable,upset and sometimes helpless when it flared up.During my life I've tried about 10 different steroid creams,drank more than 50 chinese herbal teas and cut out on cow's milk,cheese,spicy foods and alcohol and it has improved a lot.When I was younger at school I used to eat 5 packets of crisps and 2 bars of chocolate a day.During those days I didn't really think that all those additives and MSG were bad for my skin.Since reading all these health books I realised that there are loads of essential fatty acid supplements which are good for your skin.A nutritionist told me that eczema sufferers have low essential fatty acids so I advise you lot to supplement yourself with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By crustydusty on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:49 am:

Hello Im crusty dusty lol i have suffered with eczema all my life.....i had a nice 5 year remission but it came back like a nightmare 4 years ago....i was 95% all over my body....now i am almost clear...my dermatologist put me on a months dose of prednisone.and im taking light box treatments.but a tanning bed does the same thing its immunosuppresive.......it works try it and after awhile youll tan.......so look up all my crusty friends.we will beat this nasty lil malfunction in our bodies.......oh yah we should start a eczema dating site for peeps like us.....hard to get a date...not bad looking just crusty

crusty dusty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By BST on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:40 am:

I had eczema all my life. I have learned that
the skin acts as an alternate kidney. The best
thing I've found is to drink 2 qts of steam
distilled water daily.

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ami on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 06:10 pm:

HI im Ami im 18 I have been suffering with ezcema most of my life, the doctors told me it would go away as i got older but it never did.
it has got to a point now where most of my body is coverd in it and it is now going on to my face on my eyelids which is v.painful, i cant even wear little tops when i go out cause of the different pigmentation in my skin caused by the ezcema if anyone could tell me if anything has worked for them i would be really greatful thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lauren on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

hi my names lauren im 17 and i was born with exzema all over my body, i even had to have pots on both of my legs to stop me from itching!!! it was that bad. but as i got older it went away and last yr it started coming back but not badly, & i was able to controll it.
But this past week i have been in total agony with it, it is really sore & i cant hardly bend my arms or legs its that bad, it is also oousing clear stuff from it, its that sore, i have been advised to take piriton to stop the itchyness also i bath every day or 2wice a day if my exema is really bad in a bath oil called oilatum, i also have 2 apply hydrocortozone cream 2wice a day.Wich i allready do use oilatum & it great i also use the cream too, i also use aqueos as often as i can a day. i cnt stand the pain any longer. i cnt sleep its making me feel depressed i just wish i never had it & it doesn't help having to pay for all the items i need but if it will help i dnt care. i feel deeply for anybody else who has it bad. I also hate it when people who aint got it says stop itching or ignore it "i cnt 4 god sake" .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Becky on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 09:33 am:

My son had severe eczema when he was 3 months old from head to toe, then when he was 7 he grew out of it. Now he is 13 the eczema has returned. He is so self conscious about his appearance and I'm doing everything I can to help him. He has got it quite bad on his chest and under his arms. The doctor prescribed Benovate which he has been using sparingly. However, his skin now looks like it's scarred. I am taking him back to the doctors again later but just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem. I really hope his skin isn't scarred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peter on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 08:25 am:

Candy- if you are around, I have just noticed your post dated 10th March 2005 and the effects of winter. This appears similar to my experiences, which I posted on 31st May 2005 under Eczema and the Body- Seborrhoeic eczema- Can clothes be a contributory factor? I would be inteested to her your obvservations and whether you have considered my "treatment".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By relieved on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 04:11 am:

My almost 6 year old daughter has had eczema since she was 3. For the past year, it has been severe. All over her body. We tried every cream and antihistimine on the market. Even supposed online "miracle" creams. We did wet wraps at night, humidifiers, special detergent, air purifiers and almost spent $600 on a water softner for our house. Well, 3 pediatricians and 4 dermatoligists later (one of them a specialist in Pediatric Eczema) and basically the same story, just keep slathering her with Eucerin/Aquaphor after a 20 minute bath every night, overdose her on antihistime and maybe she'll grow out of it. Our last Pediatrician urged us to see a new dermatoligist she recommended. We were scepticle. He looked at her inflammed, red body covered with scabs from itching and said very nonchalantly "Yeah, I know how to get this under control." He prescribed: Cetaphil lotion mixed with Kenalog, and Topicort .25%. The Cetaphil we put on daily and the topicort on itchy, red areas when needed. At the time, all over her body. In 1 week, her eczema was 98% gone and still is. I no longer say "please, stop scratching" 50 times a day. She actually sleeps through the night. Her skin is as soft as when she was a baby. I don't know if this concoction will work for anyone else but I am still amazed that you can't even tell she has eczema. The dr. also said that, especially in the summer, lotions like aquaphor and eucerin are too thick and they will only make the itch worse by keeping in the heat. Granted, she still has eczema, but very slightly. Tiny patches on her elbows and legs. I hope this helps someone. And thanks to everyone's advice over the past year.

P.S. another interesting thig the doc told us was that originally it was the company that makes Elidel and Protopic that started the rumor of steroids being harmful (even though they have been around for the last 40 years) and now it seems it's the steroid companies that are claiming Elidel and Protopic are carcinegenic. Hmmm, interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jessie on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:48 pm:

i currently use eumovate OINTMENT to control my eczema,but having recently bought some eumovate CREAM from boots have found this more effective?any ideas why this is?is the cream available on prescription or only to be bought?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Candy on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:22 pm:

I too suffer for 7 years with eczema. It comes and goes. In the summer it seems to dissapear when I am at the pool and without using any types of creams. I normally have it on my feet and hands. But just this year, matter fact about a week ago, it has spread to my chest and inner arms. I had went to the allergist and he perscribed elidel for me. I will have to see if it will work. He did an allergy test on me and what stated I was alergic to does not seem to be my problem I think, Grasses, I am not around any in the winter. The summer I do all the mowing... The cat, which he says I am allergic to I am not around that much. it is mostly an outside cat. Here is my though about my eczema. Last year I had been hospitalized, not for Eczema but for historectomy, and during that stay in the hospital my eczema had dissapeared. WHY???? It stayed gone because I then stayed outside for the whole summer. Winter came, and now I have it bad again... WHY???? My 82 year old father now has it I think on the back of his legs which he has never had it before his whole life until now. My son who is 30 has eczema for about 3 years now and he says it only gets worse when he is around me.. WHY???? ok now, is it because I drink too much coffee?? In the hospital I did not drink but 1 cup a day, or is it the food they served at the hospital?? Or was it the antibotic they gave me??
Is that why my father after so many years never has a problem until he moved into our home? when I make my dinners I do not use any salt, because hubby and dad have heart problems. and my meal consist of mainly meat potato and a veggie... MY whole thought here that I am trying to understand I guess is WHY did my eczema go away when I was hopitalize???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 02:49 am:

Ruth - point well taken. I am strapped for time to write more at this point but will check out some more info and get back on some time soon. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 03:50 am:

Deb - even if you had put that then you still would have been given wrong information - i think what you are actually referring to is the production of substances called corticosteroids by the kidney - and i hope that this is what your chiro is actually on about or else i just reiterate what i have said previously that you are being given wrong information. Histamines are present in all cells of the body and are released during the allergic or inflammatory response whereas the corticosteroids - or as eczema sufferers are well aware of their other common name - the steroids - are specifically secreted by the kidney - and as we are all aware have a strong role to play in eczema and asthma management (plus other diseases as well). I'm not trying to quibble over names here - but I am only just clarifying this as I hope you are getting the right info you need so that you don't go chasing for answers in the wrong places. Yes it is strange to think of the kidney having a role to play in helping eczema - but that is one of the odd things about the hormones - their target sites can be quite remote from where they originate from. As long as you are getting some benefit from this though Deb - pursue this for sure - but just make sure your chiro is really connecting the body in the right order. Wouldn't hurt to check out a medical textbook/site just for your own clarification if you like. all the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:10 am:

Vic and Ruth - I've mistakenly put anti-histamen when I meant to type just histamen. I apologise. I can understand how people might think it's far fetched however the adrenal glands relate to allergies (which lots of ezcema sufferers have). With the glands over-producing Histamen the skin becomes inflammed. The chiro thinks that by manipulating the glands back into producing normal amounts of histamen it will in turn fix the skin. We believe this will work as it cleared my ezcema which I had myself for 15 years. I saw the same chiro back then (16 yrs ago) and the chiro has been around for 25 yrs in total. The cure for each individual ezcema sufferer is different and I think it's a matter of finding what works for you. Thank you for taking the time to post a message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 11:54 am:

Deb - agree with everything Vic is saying - if this is what you are being told - then I think your chiro must be coming from the planet Mars - because no people on earth here have their adrenal glands secreting antihistamines!!!!. If this person is serious about this - then I would be reporting him/her to your chiro association as this is simply false and misleading info - if you want to check out what the adrenal glands do - just have a quick search on the net......i know for a fact that they don't do this... you are being led well and truly up the proverbial garden path. i'm sorry this person is putting you through this - extremely unprofessional

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

Hmm...some really dodgy science there. Adrenal glands don't produce anti-histamines. Histamine is found in almost all tissues of the body. Antihistamines are medications given to block histamine-receptors. As I understand it, histamine doesn't seem to have much of a role in eczema, which is why antihistamines don't seem to do very much except cause sedation (which is no bad thing if you can't sleep at night due to itching!). I would suggest strongly that you check out this chiropractor's qualifications and knowledge (anyway, why the hell is a chiropractor dealing with a skin disorder). S/he is talking a lot of pseudo-science. I know eczema can make us all desperate, but I hope not so desperate as to put our precious children in the hands of dangerous quacks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Deb on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:19 am:

Hi Everyone, Our 2yr old son has had severe ezcema sine he was 8 months old. We have seen his skin red red raw,weeping, cracked, dry and very very itchy. He doesn't sleep well and I change his bed sheets almost daily due to blood and skin etc on them. We tried all the steroids which we found worked well for a couple of days then it returned. We've tried Naturopaths, Homeopaths (who like other stories I've read put him on a gluten free and lactose free diet) and now we are consulting a chiropractor who believes his adrenal glands over produce anti-histomens which in turn inflamme his skin. So we'll see what comes of it. We are only 3 weeks in. We also found it doesn't really matter what creams we use on his skin as long as it keeps it well moisturised. Good luck to all of you ezcema sufferers out there in finding what helps you get thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kylie on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:38 am:

After being a life-long sufferer, I find the best treatment for me is to self-evaluate me own skin every 4-6 weeks. Alternating between aloe vera, evening primrose and star flower to treat the problem internally. I also treat the unsightly red patches with eumovate. I have found after many years that a 100g tube of eumovate will now last 4-5 months rather than 4 weeks only a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lydia on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 05:23 am:

Hello Jen,

I always have blisters on my feet on and off. What I find works to get rid of them is to soak my feet for a few minutes a day (during bath time)in potassium permanganate solution. I also apply Fucicort over them twice a day.
Also, the ELidel is definitely worth a try.
Cheers,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:06 pm:

Hello, i have had excema for several years now, and have been on prescrip. hydrocortisone, clobetasol, and the last one worked for a while, then i built up a tolerance. Now, i have concentrated on prevention. I used Eucericin plus intensive cream, and aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. Taken evening primrose for a while, now take a combo of fish, flax, and borage oil. Ive done well for the past few months, however,just had the worst breakout ever last week. The itching is insane! It's stopped now, but the blisters are still there, and they continue to break open. Therefore, my hands are still raw, and super dry. I bought some witch hazel, to clean the raw parts, and take down the inflammation. Its worked pretty well, but what about the blisters? They just keep coming. I need something to get through this next 2 weeks, til I can go on vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please respond. Feel free to email me. Just make sure the subjuct says "excema" or something so I dont accidentally delete it. Im about to go to the doc, and try some Elidel. Is it worth it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By honey on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 05:49 am:

I have had nasty eczema for a while, worsening after each child ive had ( a hightening of allergie?) I have very infected and swollen hands....can hardly bend some of my fingers. so of cours im on antibiotics and yes prednisone, which after 24 hours am finding a bit of relief from the swelling. Three things have also worked when i havent flared up this badly....polysporin with lidocain.... Dermal theraphy at the drug store which helps restore young skin and does wonders for the thickening of ecxema skin.. and prevex which is a barrier creme which helps protect your skin from OUTSIDE ailments. best of luck to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Samuel on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

I applied four time the Wau wa cream on my baby. His eczema disappeared and we were extremely excited. My wife had an excellented and said we should commercialise the product on a wide scale on our website. I went on google website to search for wau wa. What I discovered was unimaginable. A week after the I cannot describe the skin damage my baby has gone through and the pain he is going. I wish that the manufacturers and sellers will be tracked down. There should be information sent to all parents either by post or television advert to make us awre of this dangerous potents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jane on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 07:22 am:

Thanks Bek, We have only been using Elocon for 2 days so not sure on outcome yet. We originally told to use Protopic on the patches which we use on the eczema. Its for my son who is six. Luckily he doesn't seem bothered about it. He has cranial osteopathy which relaxes him alot and I can highly recommend that as well. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. mx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bek on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 05:44 am:

Hi Jane
I have suffered from E since basically born and then lost my hair when I was 7 or 8 but it grew back.
Anyway, i now suffer from Alopecia Universus AND chronic eczema - sorry but it does make you wonder how much can get thrown at a person. My hair fell out (and must say - crowning glory) about 3 years ago now. When it started I was a total mess! It just fell out in patches but took probably about 3 months for it all to go.
To start off with the Dr prescribed elocon - which i thought was working for a while, but then it subsided. There wasn't any side effects for myself, but it wasn't really working too well either. After a few months, I was getting cortisone steriod injections in my scalp - which hurt like crazy - wouldnt' recomend to anyone cause they hurt and dont work.
I think your best bet is to stick to the elocon and whilst it is working - continue.
Another treatment I would highly recommend is Acupuncture - it didn't help me, but helped me relax a bit more and manage to deal with the hair loss at the age of 25 with a wedding coming up! Very distressing - but we all get past these things - they just make us stronger!!!!

Good luck Jane and let us know how you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jane on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:07 am:

Hi, has anyone been given Elocon Lotion for Alopecia? If so please could you share with me what sort of success you had with it. Thanks very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By amar on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:00 pm:

hi everyone
i have had eczema for about 4 years, and i use steriods, now i want to use different medication, can anyone tell me what i can use

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Steve on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:17 pm:

I had very bad eczema - I found Elidel helps a lot. It seems to melt the eczema away :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Mary on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:39 pm:

I went back to dermotologist this week and though I said I did not want steroids again, he said the itch would be relieved by Kennalog injection - I got this and it has helped a bit but not to any great extent. Does it continue to help more after a few days? Can it be repeated after the 30 days it is supposed to last if you find it helpful? My back is very sore from dermatitis so he also gave me Betnovate RD but that sems to make it more sore (as have other steroid creams). I take Piriton in evening but not doing as much for me as they were. I just wish I could sleep through night though and not have to get up and shower to relieve itch and discomfort!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wendy on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 11:18 am:

can anyone help i have intense itching in the creases of my nose the only thing that works is betnovate but my doctor wont give it me any more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Joiner on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:40 pm:

Hi everyone
I am 38 and until recently had my eczema under control without steroids - however a month ago I took a severe allergic reaction to some unknown substance (my doc suspects something chemical though we have no idea what)which landed me in Casualty twice and has meant weeks of antibiotics, steroid cream, antibiotic cream, etc etc and now oral steroids for a week as my dormant eczema went crazy, weeping and infected on my arms legs and face.I hope now it is getting back to normal because I had forgotten how severe it used to be.Anyway, I got fed up with steroid creams and did some research and here's what has kept my eczema under control until now (and the hospital reckons the allergy just went for my weakest link, ie my skin,and was not caused by eczema, just triggered it).

- a homeopathic remedy called Viola Tricolor, or Wild Pansy - 15-20 drops twice a day, and I take this in conjunction with the same amount of Echinacea drops.However the main ingredient is the Viola Tricolor, made by a company called Bioforce - one bottle is around £8 and lasts roughly a month but worth it.

- Alternating evening primrose oil/starflower oil/flaxseed oil capsules, ie when one bottle is finished I start a different one and rotate them

- Body lotion twice a day every day without fail
- Exfoliate at least 3 times a week - nb not on broken skin but works wonders on dry itchy skin and stops dead skin cells from building up which can cause itch in itself

It's important to say that this is a regime I devised myself with lots of help from the internet/books but if it helps anyone then I will be glad.If I ever win a fortune on the lottery I am going to set up a skincare centre because there are very few in the UK and the waiting lists are so long.No one who has never had skin trouble can understand the misery, the effect it has on your life, work and confidence and the obsession when it becomes all you can think about.If I ever can achieve this dream I will be posting the details immediately!
Look after yourselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jennifer on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:46 am:

WAIT!!!! I have been reading all of these messages about people taking steroids, or giving them to babies. STOP!!!! Steroids are horrible and have so many bad side effects (I have experienced them all) 85% of eczema is caused by allergies to milk, eggs and especially wheat. It is very hard to give these things up but if you do you will not have to live with the agony of the itch. Take care, and take primrose and cod liver oils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By anon on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:33 am:

i agree tiffy..
and i am really sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time with it. No one goes through it in a light way, but there is so much you can do in helping to control your eczema. Venting is always a good thing, and if you want to vent here then go right ahead!, and dont feel bad for doing it.
There are so many websites with lots of people's experience's on them, some try so called miracle creams, others use a positive mental approach, but all in all there is tons of information and ideas that you could try. Some might help, some not but keep on trying untill you get to the one that will work. Eczema is allergy related in my case anyway, so see if you can get tested for allergies including foods and stuff.
Control scrathing is really hard, but i think its also a habbit or moreless develops into one. There are habbit reversal programs out there; the eczema solution is one of them. Its a book about control the scratching. Try it out, see what happens.

I hope your eczema does clear up, but do remember that you are not alone. And we'll always be here to lend support in anyway we or i can...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tiffy on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:21 am:

HI. my name is tiffany, i have been suffering from my break out of eczema for 3 yrs. now. I am to the point that I just want to die. I used to be very beautiful and I have dreams of modeling.
But now I have broke down and gave up. I have cleared up a lot "thanks to doctors" ya right.
I have done this on my own. I would get so bad that when it got around my eyes, they would swell shut. During the summer all I wear is pants and sweaters... in the damn summer. I have even tried to kill myself but that is over now I got to keep my head up. I want so bad to find a way to cure this problem. But i should not have to scientist and doctors should get off their asses.

Please.... someone help not only me, all of these people. We cannot follow our dreams with our nails dug deep in our skin. For once we would like to put our hands in this beatiful green earth.
Anyone agree???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:03 pm:

aileen - if this treatment isn't working as it sounds as if it isn't- it would pay perhapsto get your daughter back to the doctor -tell them that this treatment protocol is not working. It might require using a more aggressive approach to managing the eczema in the short term - just to get good control e.g. a short course of oral steroids e.g. prednisolone might be warranted here to break this cycle- particularly becasue it is so widespread & resistant to topical treatment. it could also be that her eczema might be infected and that might warrant some form of antibiotic treatment. once you have got something effective working for you then you can start using the protopic. hope it helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Aileen on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:52 am:

Hi,
I have a nine month old daughter with eczema. She has the rash just about everywhere. I have tried elidel, cutivate, and cortaid. Nothing seems to work. I am waiting for her skin to not be so red to try protopic as i was told that the cutivate is supposed to be used for the bad flare-ups and then I am supposed to use protopic when the flare up is under control. Well, Ihave not had a chance to use protopic b/c this flare up is not getting any better. I am currently using cutivate twice a day and applying cetaphil then aquaphore three times a day. I am also using cetaphil bath bar for her baths.
I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions and if there is a chat line that any one knows about regarding eczema. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Hope on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:38 am:

There are a few ways I have found to help with eczema.. one is Prayer! and there is a cream that was done up by a phamisist. it has been used on infants, and has helped them a lot,. I tried it on my 5 month old and it cleared it up right away,,and took away the redness and also softened the skin, but then it came back,, but it has helped with adults better then children.. I tryed it on myself and it does releave the iching emedeatly, and takes away the redness really good. Another thing we do is essential oils, there is a blend called Di-Tone.. and it cleanses the liver,, and cleans the skin up really well. it is natural and safe.You can also use Crisco Vegie-shortnig to smoth skin and it does not clogg pores. and tripple antibiotic ointment helps if skin is dry and flakey, or flaired up. My babies skin can get very dry and weapy on the top of her head, so I run water over it, then dry it, then apply crisco, then put a wet cotton cap on her head ,, with in a few hours the cap is dry her skin is soft and smooth.. the crisco acts as a burrier so the skin doesn't get saturated., It may sound strange but it does work! I do that once a day if needed, it will look red at first but in a very short time it go's away,, and again it is safe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Bludlust on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:50 am:

Montreal, Canada.

I'm 25 years old and I've had eczema all my life. I've been trying all sorts of cream and recently I found the perfect combination of cream that was able to control my eczema.

To treat my eczema I use :
Westcort Hydrocortisone-17-Valerate cream 0,2% w/w U.S.P.
Anti-Inflammatory / Antipruritic

I apply a small amount on the affected region once a day, after shower. (e.g.: if the affected region covers an entire body part then apply on the whole section)

To moisturize my skin I use :
Vaseline Creamy - Problem Skin Therapy
Description:
Immediate 250% moisturization boost
30% Petrolum jelly
18 hours moisturization
Dermatologist recommended.
Imported by LeverPonds Toronto, Ontatio, M4M1B6
1-800-668-2288

I apply this on my entire body, once a day, after shower. I have never encountered a cream that is so effective at moisturizing. This is a miracle cream. (Do not mistaken this cream from it's original formula which is 100% petrolum jelly)

Any questions:
email me at tchi_yuan@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By andrew on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:06 pm:

I used Protopic on my Eczema, and after 32 years of suffering it has gone. Please, please, please try it. It is difficult to get your GP to prescribe as it is very expensive but if you push hard enough you should get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Lesley on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:15 am:

my 7 yr old son has discoid ezcema and no amount of steroid cream seem to work because he can't stop scratching. The doctors have told us that they don't know what causes the discoid ezcema. I would be interested to know if anyone has a child with discoid ezcema and how they cope with it. Have you tried any alternative medicines successfully?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kira on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:19 pm:

Tiffany Poling:

Are you still here? Did your skin heal? I am in the same situation as you. Please reply to kira_pelletier@yahoo.com!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mrswoody on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

I am a 43 year old lifetime sufferer of excema. I have used every cream available and still have problems. After years of steroid tapers, I had a Prednisone induced psychosis this year and cannot use steroids ever again!! It has been a long year of scratching, stressing and suffering. I also have the beginning stages of osteoporosis. Never had a broken bone until a few years ago so we now know that my bones are thinning. My skin is blotchy and itchy, I hardly sleep at night anymore and it is thinning. I wish there were an answer on how to deal with this darn disease or at least how to stop the itch. It becomes so intense sometimes! It is helpful to use Protopic on my face and Psorcon E on my body but they are expensive prescription meds. I just want to find a way to curb the itch and sleep through the night again. Thank goodness for a very supportive spouse!! Best of luck to all of you fellow sufferers and hang in there, a cure can't be that far away-can it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jenny on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

My 21 month old son has had ezcema since ge was 6 weeks old. I didn't have a clue about it before he came along. I followed the dr advice for a while but now refuse to use steriod creams on such sensitive skin. I am slowly finding out the cause of his ezcema rather than just treating the symptoms!! Im fed up with these dr that just hand out steriods to any little scratch. I am controlling my sons ezcema really well NATURALLY, and if you saw him now you wouldn't believe he had ezcema. I feel so strongly about this matter i have set up a support group with the help of a like-minded friend for mums and dads that are in the same situation. So remember you are not alone!!!! email me if you are interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By patty on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

my eczema flared up for the first time about a month ago during the worst possible time. I was starting out college leaving far away from home and knows no one here. I didn't know what was going on with me, all i know it's that it got worst really fast. Finally i got help and the demoterlogist said i had discoid eczema and prescirbed me Clobetasol Propionate which i believe it's a steriod. After the first week of using it, my skin got better and he said i wouldn't need to come back unless it flares up agian.

So my guestion is, he prescribed me two tubes of those, which i only used up 1/4 of one tube so far and it's been almost 3 weeks. But i looked up online and it says i shouldn't use it for more than 2 weeks. So it means i should stop using it? Prior to this, he prescribe me Triamcinolone, and it didnt really help. So i do i start using that again? but i feel like i still need the propionate cream because I find myself reapplying it again more than 2 times a day in some areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By LOMA on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

Itchy Chin !!

Does anyone else get this/have a good tip to avoid it? I try to resist scratching but end up tearing it to get rid of the itch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By LOMA on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 03:58 pm:

I find using Neutrogena facial bar for dry skin (there is one for normal and oily too) works well for me. It is dermatologically tested and only costs £2. Afterwards, i use a little Eucerin which is also a good make up base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

Sup dudes,
I don't know what all this jibber jabber about steroids thinning your skin is all about. It might shrink your webos a tad, but when you put on twenty pounds of man weight it really doesn't matter! Itching? dude you might have taken some bad roids! no sweat man, wean off the cycle then start over with a more mild cycle like cypionate. You'll thank me later. Peace out ya'll.
-Jim-BO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By andrew on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

How do i know if i use a lot of Steriod Cream. I use 3 x 100g of Eumovate and 100g of Betnovate a Month. I also use 1% hydrocortisone on my face, once or twice a day. I'm worried about thin skin. What effect will thin skin give me?

Anyone help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kelly on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:26 pm:

My name is Kelly, and I was recently diagnosed with eczema. My doctor told me that using tanning beds might help or that there may be lacking something in my diet. I just read Tiffany's story,and I am afraid to use the creams now, but they seem to be the only thing that works for me. I haven't heard of any of the medications that I have been reading, other than Eumovate which is what I have been using. The patches never really seem to go away though, they are less noticable, but I can still see them. my doctor also gave me what I think is called Zyrteck which stops the itching,and then the patches don't get so bad. They really help, but I am ashamed to say, I don't know much about them and they effects they may have on me. He also told me about a dietary supplement, that I don't off hand remember the name,and said it would help, and as far as I can tell has, but I also don't know what the effects are for that. I just went to the doctor for and exam,and now I have really high blood pressure which I am 29 years old and have always had really good blood pressure. I am now suspicious about the medication,and I just don't know where to go and what to do, and would like some advice if anyone can help. I apparently don't have a severe case....yet. I just get a little on my calves and thighs, but recently has moved to my arms. I am really frustrated. Please help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Stella on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:56 pm:

Hi, my thirteen months old baby boy has been suffering from atopic eczema since he was six months old. We have tried wet wrap and different emollients to help him. His skin had improved and was under control for a few months. But recently maybe because of teething or the hot weather or whatever reasons, his eczema suddenly has got worse again. He scratches and scratches. He can't sleep well. I feel awful to see him scratching all the time. My heart sinks when I see him feeling so itchy. It is such a torture to a little baby. I don't want to use hydrocortisone (1%) but I am so desperate to help to relief his itchiness that I rely on it to help to settle his eczema. I know I shouldn't use it on his face but I feel so bad to see his face like a tomato. Everytime after I use steroid on him, it does help to relief it but it comes back again very quickly. Maybe I don't use it properly. I feel very guilty after I use it on him. I don't know what to do. I hope you can give me some advice. Thank you very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

We know that topical steriod creams thin the skin (as one of the side effects), but how can u make the skin thicker so to speak? (my skin is thin due to 15 years of topical steriod use for my eczema). I hear vitamin A creams / ointments help, especially for the face. Anybody got any ideas and comments on this? thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Friday, June 07, 2002 - 10:38 am:

Hi Emily, I read your note and totaly sympathise. I'm 34 and have had eczema since I was three and have been thrugh just about every cream imaginable. I get it worst on my hands (where I have substantial scarring), torso and face. I've tried dermovate and am curretly on Elocon and Betnovate (I think - I use it so much I don't even look at the tube any more). I tried Diprobase but was horribly allergic to it. Now I try to use as little steroid cream as possible and concentrate on moisturising instead, which helps keep the eczema at bay. Like you, I'm worried about the effects the steroids have on my skin and on my face in particular as it's very dry and thin.
At the moment I'm using Simple bubble bath, Aqueous cream as a wash, Body Shop olive body butter as an all-over moisturiser and Asda 12-hour cream for my face. The Asda stuff is fantastic and I've raved about it on this site before. All these creams seem to work for me, but it's taken years and a lot of cash to arrive here!!! Sunbeds really, really help too - just remember to moisturise well after use.
So don't despair Emily. I'm sure prevention is better than any steroid cream. let mM know how yo get on. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emily w on Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 08:18 pm:

I have had eczema since I was small but now I am in my late teens, it is the worst ever. It usually clears up in the summer but it looks awful now, really red and there are dry patches behind my knees and in elbows and inner thighs.Its very itchy and my clothes just seem to irritate it even more. Have tried many different steroid creams like Dermovate and Clotrimazole and emoillents like Dibrobase and Betnovate. Nothing seems to work and doctors are unsure of what causes it. I'm worried about steroid treatment thinning the skin and also it doesnt seem effective enough. Different doctors say different things...one thought it was fungal. Then people say it could be a food allergy or the result of stress. So this gets very confusing!Can anyone suggest any other method of treatment other than steroids because i really have had enough of it now!I would be interested to know of other cases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By davinder on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/324/7340/768
some latest research on steroids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lynda on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

I have suffered with eczema for over a year now on my arms and lags which does limit the clothes i can wear/how I feel when sufferering a flare-up, esp in summer. emolients and hydrocortisone dont work that effectively or quickly and having to see my GP everytime for some eumovate was a bain but I noticed in Boots the other day that you can now buy it over the counter! fantastic! If any others out there want to get rid of your flare-up in a few days i highly recommend it! (and no doctor appt needed!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jills newsletter Jan 2002 on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:19 am:

Upminster Eczema – Jan 2002

Steroids
Last month 1 had two telephone calls in the same week and was horrified at what I heard. One mother of a 5 month old baby just began by asking for general advice about eczema and when I asked what she had been prescribed she explained that she was applying Fucibet to her baby’s face. The baby had not yet developed eczema on his body but just on the cheeks of his face. The second mother had a two year old boy who had been applying Betnovate to her child’s body. After hearing of these two cases I thought it maybe useful to write what little I know about steroids and their strengths, incase it may help someone in the future. Since our conversations both parents have told me that the creams have now been changed. First of all there are two types of steroid. Steroids taken orally or injected and Topical Steroids that are applied to the skin. Topical steroids are basically divided up into four groups depending on their potency. Mild, Moderate, Potent and Very Potent. The potencies prescribed depend on several factors:
the age of the patient,
the site of the eczema, the extent of the eczema, and the severity of the eczema. There are different strengths each group.
So for example a steroid cream such as hydrocortisone, which is a weak mild potency, would be
suitable for an infant or the face. Usually Very Potent steroids are only given under the supervision of a skin specialist.
Topical steroids are also available in several different formula’s. Creams
Ointments,
Lotions,
Oily Creams, and Gels.
Creams are generally applied to weepy or wet eczema. Ointments are generally applied to dry eczema and are absorbed into the skin more than a cream making the steroid slightly stronger. Lotions are applied to hairy areas and can be applied thinly. Gels are applied to hairy areas and are more sticky than lotions. Here are just a few of the most common steroids prescribed for eczema and their potencies. Bettamousse - Potent Betnovate - Potent Betnovate RD- Moderate Dermovate - Very Potent Elocon - Potent
Eumovate - Moderate
Fucibet* - Potent
Fucidin~H* - Mild
Locoid - Potent
Mild ison Lipocream - Mild
Modrasone - Moderate
Propaderm - Potent
Trimovate* - Moderate
These steroid creams also contain
an antibiotic to treat skin infections . Bactroban is also an antibiotic cream used for infected eczema.
Many parents are reluctant to apply topical steroids to their child’s eczema, but if they are applied thinly for the correct duration prescribed, they are perfectly safe. If steroids are under used the eczema will worsen and eventually a stronger potency may be necessary.
Although it may seem that steroids are being used constantly, there will come a time when the duration between using them becomes less frequent.
It is important to continue using emollients and suitable bath oils at the same time.
If you would like more information please ask me and I will try to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By EczemaVoice on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:06 pm:

from the NES
Wau Wa Cream warning
Many people have been enquiring about this cream. For those who do not know about it, it is a cream from Ghana that claims to be made from petroleum jelly and the juice of the Wau Wa plant. We have been unable to find out what the Wau Wa plant is. It has been available in the UK for some time via certain health food shops and over the internet.
Some people have found the cream beneficial for the treatment of eczema. It has caused interest amongst dermatologists and the National Eczema Society because it appears to be so effective. However, according to tests carried out by the Medical Controls Agency (MCA) it contains clobetasol propionate. Clobetasol propionate is a very potent topical steroid, which is used for severe eczema. It should only be used in exceptional circumstances and with medical supervision.
If you are using Wau Wa cream, we advise you to stop. Use your prescribed topical steroid and your favourite emollient cream. You may find that you have a flare-up as you adjust from the Wau Wa cream to your regular topical steroid. If you are concerned, speak to your GP.
Those of you wishing to carry this forward in terms of a formal complaint against Wau Wa cream should write to:

Jane Robinson, Medical Controls
Agency,
Market Towers, 1 Nine Elms Lane, London SW8 5NQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By charlotte on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 09:36 pm:

By Charlotte on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

PLEASE EVERYONE WITH RED ITCHY ECZEMA - Try FUCIBET if you can, if it's suitable for you! It's great!!! It has, after 24 years of eczema, changed my life. I still have eczema, but with this cream it's not red, weeping etc. It works with in an hour and you only need to use it every other week for a day or two!
Fantastic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CB on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

Steroid tablets which I have taken in decreasing courses at various times in my life have all sorts of effects, they can cause mild euphoria and then when you stop taking them you may feel a bit down. I used to get sleeplessness with them. If women take them the ought to take a calcium supp too and I always take magnesium with them as they deplete this. Not a good idea long-term as your condition will not really get better just have a break for a while

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oscar on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 10:53 pm:

By oscar on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 08:05 pm:

i have used many steroid creams in the past and my skin has become very dry dark i.e. has changed in color from a healthy brownish tan to a darkish dull brown color. i was wondering if there is anything i can do to restore my healthy glow back again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eczemavoice on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

By Dave C. on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

A hospital consultant has recommended I take steroid tablets to deal with Urticaria. Does anyone have any experience good or bad of these tablets? He says there are some side effects like thinning of the bones and possible diabetes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Pat Greer on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 08:58 pm:

Hello,

Have you heard of a product called Mytosil to help with Eczema? It is
supposed to have vitamins A and D and fish oils.

I have a toddler with eczema and don't want to use the cortisone creams
(which have been prescribed for myself without much success).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Harpercat on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 09:11 pm:

Hi Tiffany
So sorry to read of the problems you have had. My doctor always says "bland is best" and only prescribes steroid creams for very severe and persistent outbreaks. Have you tried Boots own brand emollient cream? It is quite cheap and I have found it is very soothing and cooling and also it helps the skin stay supple and moisturised. Give it a try!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave C. on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 06:21 pm:

I have discovered a new non-steroid cream called Tacrolimus, which was prescribed to me by a hospital consultant. It works as well as the steroid creams I have found, and infact works better on eczema around the ears. Also, it will not have all the side effects of the steroids.
It has only just been discovered apparently and the hospital I attended had to mix it up especially for me. But the consultant said it would soon be available everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth graham on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 10:05 am:

hi Tiffany,
I hope that you've found an option to the steroid creams... believe me, they are bad news! I was prescribed some a year ago for some eczema on my face( started after a few years of running and my eyes watering).....
.....well, it helped and I used it , but as of 2 weeks ago, when I decided to stop, the skin around my eyes and upper cheeks looks like someone poured acid on me. Swollen, red blisters and painful! Had to stay home from work for 4 days and decidedcot try natural ways of healing it. I found that by breaking open a piece of my AloeVera plant and applying the juice to the eczema the redness deminished and the blisters dried up... still abit red now but at least it's improving. Also try taking Evening Primrose oil (sold in capsules).

let me know if you discover any other remedies or just to talk...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tanya on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

Hi Tiffany.I really understand how you feel about the steroid creams.Have you read my message under Discoid Ezcema?I was so desperatly worried for my little girl that I have turned to Homeopathy.It is a long and expensive process but really worth it in the long run.It doesn't work for everyone and this is our 2nd attempt.It has helped but i also use a cream from the Body Shop called Hemp Body Butter.They have had loads of ezcema sufferers saying how its helped them.We still use Steroid cream but only when it gets really bad. Merry Xmas to you and everyone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Dave on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:49 pm:

I suffer from Sebborehic Eczema and have done since entering my ealy twenties. Since then (about 8 years ago) I have been prescribed many steroid based creams by doctors, with limited success. I was recently put on Eumovate cream by my dermatologist but this hasn't controlled the condition very well, and any time I try to reduce the amount I put on or stop using it all together my skin flares up badly and I get acne type spots on my cheeks and forehead. I am becoming really tired of the same old routine at the doctors office. Does anyone have any suggestions to a good, safe alternative??
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Brett Youngs on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:25 pm:

I have been suffering from eczema for over 25 years and have been foolish enough to trust my doctors. My condition is now worse than ever and I am currently battling with the side effects of the steroids and finding a SAFE and NATURAL way to live with my eczema. I ADVISE ANY PARENTS OR SUFFERERS TO WEAN YOURSELVES OFF THESE DANGEROUS CREAMS ASAP (DO NOT JUST STOP AS THIS MAY DAMAGE YOUR ADRENAL GLAND)

It is possible to cure eczema and the sooner you tackle the condition properly the easier it will be. Diet it seems is the main cause of eczema - DO NOT GIVE BABIES COWS MILK as this is also linked to causing eczema

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:19 am:

Emu oil works good for some people.
cortizone thins the skin and give you skin cancer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:17 am:

A health care advisor told me that she cleansed the liver and kidneys to get rid of her eczema. IT works you dont have to live with this forever....go to a health food store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By karlito on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:37 am:

It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid when it comes to finding something that controls Eczema.

Keep looking on this site to find something that might work for you. Good luck Anon (below)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:19 am:

Oh god, I hate this disease. It even stings when I have sex. I've tried everything. I want to die, oh god I want to die. I am a lepar of the twenty first century. I can't even take a normal shower I have no where to turn. z Make the itching stop please. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By lee on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 01:39 pm:

sue is he on anything else such as antihistamines like vallergan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dw on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 05:36 pm:

Catlin,

If I bathe in the mornings and i'm also hungry. Would it help if break some eggs and sauages in the water, oh yeah don't forget the o.j.

Just kidding. I have never tried using oatmeal out of the box. I buy the package in which they say oatmeal bath. Interesting, I'll try after I finished my packs. I guess I only take those baths only once a year, but it does have a soothing effect to the inflamed skin.

I guess I should do it more, I usually only do it when i can't think of anything else. I guess i'm a shower man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Caitlin on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 04:52 am:

Well as someone who has exzema and has had it since I can remember I have done about everything to help control outbreaks. Since I was about 10 years old I have used Triamcinolone for break outs on my arms and legs and then I have used Westcort for my face. Both are steroidal creams however there are mild steriodal creams. They help control outbreaks and subdue them. The other thing that I found that helped was taking oatmeal baths. For the oatmeal baths take about 2 cups of oatmeal and add about 6 cups of water microwave it for about 2 mins to soften it up then dump it into a warm bath and take the oatmeal and apply it to the areas that are breaking out. I hope that this helps you as much as it helped me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sally on Friday, June 08, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

i have an 8 year old daughter who has used steroid cream for 8 years and her mood swings are up and down on a daily basis. it is comforting to know your not the only one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sue on Thursday, May 03, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

I am the mother of a 4/5 year old boy. He is usually loving and caring, but has recently been very angry and cannot control his feelings / anger. It has been suggested that the steroid creams we are currently using could be affecting his moods. Does anyone have any suggestions / answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Y on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

Hi
I have had eczema all my life (I am 28 now) and was forever visiting dermatologist. I have always used steroid creams both on my face and my body. At the age of 19, eczema on my face became so bad that my steroid cream stopped helping me, in a sense that I couldn't stop using it. If I did, eczema would flare up terribly. My skin litterally got addicted to it, as I used it too much.
I had to go through very painful period of not using anything, during which my face was bloated, painful and eachy. When I say period, I mean few months, and is something I wouldn't wish to my enemy.
When everything calmed down, I have found new dermatologist who explained to me that steroid creams should be not taken lightly. He also added that using the same product over period of time should be avoided at all costs, as skin gets used to it.
I haven't stopped using steroid creams completely, as they are the best for itch-relief, but I now make sure that my visits to dermatologist are regular and that he gives me different treatments.I also rely on Chinese herbal medicine, take care about what I eat etc.
I hope that this stops someone from making the same mistake as me.
Best regards,Y.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 08:03 am:

Hi rlp. Yeah, I know, the neem stuff smells like s***. In fact, it smells worse than that!!! lol. However, the cream smells ok because they put some natural de-smeller in it!!! Good luck

adios cuerida
xxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rlp on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 01:04 am:

hi peachy, just a response to the neem cream,

couldnt find any, found some neem oil though, and it stinks, i mean it really does smell!, badly! LOL, talk about having to look bad and now smell bad too! lol, i'm gonna try it out for a while and see how i get on. But if you do find out where i can get some ( cream that is! LOL,, slight slip up!! LOL), then please do let me know,

adios

rlp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

Dunno DW, but you should see some of the things I've picked up since joining. ha ha! LOL
xxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dw on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

Hey peachy, what's a nice girl like you doing on a site like this lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dw on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

Michelle,

I my love steriods. I wish I could take a shot every month. I don't worry about the topical creams. As one of the most prominent Derm Dr.s told me as long as you don't abuse the drugs.

I have been taking a 4 to 6 shots a year for 25 years now, and so far so good.

But the new drs. right out of school, have been thought to be very afriad of them. Well maybe i will have to wait 20 more years to see.

But for now i'm not worried, as i could get hit by a truck tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

Hi rlp. I shink, though not 100 per cent sure that yu can get it from good health food shops. My acupuncturist suggested it so I'll ask next time he sticks me!
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rlp on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

hi peachy

neem cream? never heard of that, but will give it a go, as the skin on my face is very very thin, it breaks so easily, even the lightest rub does, and as for shaving!, its tough, so right now i'll try anything,

thanks for the tip..

c ya!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 09:26 am:

Hi anonymous - try Neem Cream. I think you can get it from health food shops. It smells pretty grim but it really helps ease the scarring and thinning caused by steroids. It's a good moisturiser too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 03:14 pm:

hi,

does anyone know how to reverse the 'thinning' effect of the skin from using steriods. I have been told that vitamin a creams do help to make the skin more thick so to speak, especially for the face.

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Peachy on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 09:32 am:

I'm with you on the Elocon cream Blue. I use small amounts on my face and it really helps. Also good in larger amounts elsewhere. Good luck with it. x

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Blue on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 08:22 pm:

Hi Sarah.
I get regular flare ups on my face and have tried many steroids. But the only steroid i can rely on is Elocon cream. If i put it on (in a very small amount) at nite, then by the following mornig theres always a significant improvement which heals over in two days 4me. I know its different 4everyone out there but i find its wot keeps me sane wen i look so bad. I just hope it works 4 u. Love Blue xxx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sarah on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good steriod cream for the face and neck? I've got very, very dry skin on my eyelids and above my nose and also a red patch on one of my cheeks. I've been using Fusidic on my neck but am a bit unsure if that will be ok. I just use Hydrocortisone on my face. Please get back to me if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Elaine on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

I think that you have to be careful to take scare stories about steroid use with a pinch of salt.
There are side efects, yes, but don't worry about them too much. Especially if they are in creams or ointments. I know it is very easy to worry about these things, but people have been using steroids for a long time now, and if there was any significant risks people would not use them or prescribe them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Michelle Grover on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

I have answered the email and this is what I wrote...

For starters, our product is not a prescription in most countries. It contains 1% hydrocortisone and in the US that is not a prescription. Our product is different because it contains 12 other ingredients that prevent the skin from drying out like it does when using straight hydrocortisone.

There is currently no other product on the market that contains all of the ingredients that ours does. It is also a very safe product with no side effects when used correctly.

Thank you for your questions,

Michelle Grover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eczemavoice on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 10:15 pm:

We have to be careful of advertising new creams that appear to work all the time. To be fair to Michelle she does respect this. In the past people have done this and not bothered to get in touch with us but simply sell products from this site.
Michelle's address is customerservice@eczemacare.com. We will contact Michelle to see how the cream differs from normal prescriptions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sarah on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

Hi Michelle

What is your email address?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Michelle Grover on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 09:26 pm:

Mona,

Hello and thank you for your question. I posted my site url but it disappeared and I suspect it is because advertising is not allowed and I fully respect that. If you want my web address, just email me and I will be happy to give it to you.

Yes, my product contains 1% hydrocortisone and I have found hundreds of articles from Doctors and Dermatologists stating that 1% hydro. is very safe and that the risks we all hear about are associated with the prescription strength steroids.

I am going to be adding an articles page on my website and I am going to post lots of articles about this because I think it's time people know the truth. The FDA chose to change the status of 1% hydrocortisone because it has such a long standing record of safety. I know I said that before but I think it needs to be said again.

Thank you again,

Michelle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mona on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 11:48 am:

hi micheal,

whats the name of your site ? did the cream u mention contain 1% hydrocotisone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Michelle Grover on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

Hello everyone. This is my first time here and I just wanted to clear something up.

First let me say that I have a 3 yr old that had one of the most severe cases of eczema I've ever seen. Now he is healed and I owe it all to this wonderful product that my local pharmacist created for his own eczema.

There is a lot of scare tactics being used by certain companies in the media to put fear into people about using steroid creams. I have done loads of research and all of that research has uncovered the same basic facts. The side effects and risks that you hear about are associated with the more potent, prescription strength steroids.

The FDA changed the status of 1% hydrocortisone to over-the-counter BECAUSE of it's long standing record of safety. Do you really think they would allow people to buy something and use it on their own if it were dangerous? Of course not.

I think it is very sad that so many people are suffering or their child is suffering because they are afraid of trying anything that contains a steroid. I wouldn't use the prescription steroids either but there is nothing dangerous about using 1% hydrocortisone as long as you follow the directions and use it properly.

I have been using this product for over 2 years and my son has had absolutely NO side effects except nice soft skin.

I felt so strongly about this product that I felt everyone should be able to use it so I went through over a years worth of obstacles to get it out there. I have my own website and you are welcome to check it out if you wish. There are pictures of my son and my whole story is on there as well.

If you feel I am just trying to advertise then by all means, don't go to my site. If you are willing to try something new that works and is 100% guaranteed, then we'd love to help you.

I can't stand the thought of anyone going through what I went through with our son. I can't even imagine how that would feel as an adult.

I wish all of you the absolute best of luck.
You are in my prayers,

Michelle Grover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Karen on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 07:48 pm:

I took my 4 year old daughter (with eczema from 4 months) to France last summer - for a start she hated the sun and when we went swimming in a lake to cool her down she got a massive staphyloccoccus aureus infection (impetigo) which spread over most of her body and limbs. She could not walk and spent the rest of the holiday being carried around in bandages. It was misdiagnosed at first by the admittedly extremely helpful local hospital (be warned, they spoke very little English) and needed strong oral antibiotics to clear it up. Her skin was very marked and stinging in water for a long time - we had to get the visiting nurse service in back home to get her over her terror of having a bath!
Anyway I would say be very careful of lake-water
and take antibiotic powder with you that you can make up with water if an infection occurs. Our GP is happy to do that for us so talk to yours. Taking the antibiotic as a preventative - I don't think they work like that do they?
With regard to steroid creams there is a big misperception about them. Most problems come from inadequate advice by doctors/clinics on how to use them properly. It sounds strange but we used to worry about about causing damage with steroids for a long time, so we'd only put on tiny dabs once every few days. This will NOT help - you need to be using sufficient cream to work, not being so afraid of using it that you don't apply enough to work!. Also it is worth having a range of strengths so that you vary according to the need each day - a stronger cream for one day will very often 'nip things in the bud' so we don't have the endless days of using tiny amounts of 0.5% hydrocortisone and wondering why it isn't helping. They are not a cure but are better than using nothing. My daughter has been using cortisone and stronger (Elocon) for3+ years and has no sign of skin thinning etc - keep the consultant/doctor giving regular checks ion this if you are worried.
Apart from that - have a good trip, the change of scene can often improve eczema just by itself (psychological factors?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dw on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 06:40 pm:

concerned,

Sounds like some nasty water? or are you talking about most outdoor water? Anitbotics are usually make people photo sensivtive, so if your bring your child to a sunny place i would not reccommend it. Also the over use of antibotics are not good as a common practice unless there really is an infection.

Cool water is generally good, if worried just stick like one of the kids legs in the water for awhile and check for any reaction. Make sure to bring some sun block, sun is good for us in moderation these days.

Good Luck,

Live and let live, don't be to overly protective!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By concerned on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:10 am:

My three and one half year old granddaughter has been have eczema since infancy. Her mother has creams from the doctor but seems hesistent to use them on a regular basis. Also She is allergic to citrus products and all nuts. Since a lot of the ointments and lotions seem to have nut oils in them it has been hard for her to find something that does not cause more problems. She has used a number of oinments that have caused irritations. Also, any ideas on an alternative to the steriod creams? Concerned
P.S. We are going on a lake trip (the water has been known to cause boils and skin irritations in some people. Wonder if she should take antibotics before that trip and going into the water.

Add a Message

You can put in any name as the Username. You do not need to enter your email address.
Username:  
E-mail: