Food Allergies

Eczema Voice: Allergies and Diet: Food Allergies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nicole on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 08:14 pm:

I had eczema my whole childhood, then it went dormant for many years. Im 20 now, and my eczema came back about two years ago (worse than ever). I had it on my face, legs, and back. The dermatologist only gave me steroid creams that temporarily relieved my eczema, and gave me NO useful information. Waste of money. I recently started doing my own research, and I'm glad to say my eczema is pretty much healed. This is what I do:

1. Clean bed sheets weekly in hot water to kill allergens. Use "free" detergents if you can, and an extra rinse cycle. (Perfumes are horrible for eczema.)
2. Because I have eczema on my face and lips, its a little easier for me to figure out what foods agitate my eczema, because it almost immediately flares. I definitely do not eat any wheat! I also cut out caffeine, fruits, tomatoes, and processed food. Processed foods are very high in sodium, which dries you out. I try to cut out dairy, but I slip every once and awhile with some ice cream which kind of agitates my skin.
3. I try not to drink anything but WATER. I drink A LOT of water.
4. Its best to shower at night, not in the morning. Use perfume free body wash. I highly recommend Cetaphil body cleanser. After I shower, I pretty much air dry and immediately put on a good amount of lotion (I recently started using Aveeno's new product "eczema therapy" and it works great)
5. Try not to stress!! When my eczema was at its worse on my face, I often got upset, especially if someone asked me what was wrong with my face. The stress only made my skin worse.
6. I also try not to sweat too much. In the summer, I try to stay nice and cool. Some sun is good, but too much sun can dry you out.
7. If you have eczema on your lips, i recommend "eos" lip balm. Its 95% natural ingredients.
8. Try to wear cotton when your eczema is at its worst... other materials can agitate your skin.

I still have days where my skin gets dry patches, especially on my lips. But all of the above has helped my eczema A LOT. My face and legs are completely cleared up. I only have issues sometimes with my lips and a little patch on my arm.

I agree with everyone on here that what you eat is the best place to start! You are what you eat.

I really hope this helps someone... I'm a 20 year old female, and I know how eczema can really mess with your emotions. Just keep researching... and find what helps you personally. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ngocson on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 10:25 pm:

It is good that you have already been tseted for food intolerances.It is easy to become food intolerant these days especially if you eat too many chemically altered and processed food.I addition by eating the same foods every day,you limit your intake of essential nutrients, vitamins minerals.Threfore , you have been given the right advice Always rotate your foods.In other words,if you eat a food to-day,then try not to eat it again for say 3-4 days.I can recommend a good book ..called You are what you eat' by Dr G McKeithPersevere and good luck .good health will surely follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By It hurts on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 01:35 am:

I have had excema since I was 4 months old. I am now 28. Most of my excema cleared up when I turned 16. But I do still get it if I eat citric acid, paprika, alcohol, red chilli and certain E numbers.
If I have any of these I start itching the next day on my face, neck, hands or wrists. I have been given steroid creams by the GP but I do notice if I use a lot of steroid creams on my skin, the skin turns darker. So you shouldn't use a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rebecca on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 10:47 am:

I had Eczema for several years, my condition was quite severve. When I was around 15 I was advised to avoid drinking cows milk and replace it with Goats milk as calcium is key in a balanced diet.

After a week the results were evident, my condition was no where near as severe and it even eased my digestion problems.

I would advise drinking goats milk to anybody with eczema, you have nothing to lose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Adam Bender on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:37 am:

I've been searching all over the internet for eczema forums. I'm Adam, 23 years old from Vancouver and last week I got these itching bumps on skin after drinking brandy at a party. Some of my friends tell me that I may have developed an allergic reaction to brandy but others believe that it's far more serious than that. They think I have eczema.

I stumbled upon this website discussing itching bumps on skin and eczema at goodbyeeczema.com/itching-bumps-on-skin/

and realized that my friends may be right about me having eczema. But can eczema be widespread? Because the itching bumps that I developed spread all through out my body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By amandabenson on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 07:30 am:

Hi everyone!

My name is Amanda and I have had eczema since I was 10 years old. I thought I just had allergies but I later found out that its manifestation is best referred to as "eczema".

Ever since I avoided what has been causing MY eczema, I was able to manage my condition and prevent its recurrence. So I think that it will be best for everyone to trace what causes THEIR eczema so they can avoid it from happening again too!

Although some foods are the common allergens which trigger eczema, there are other causes of eczema too!

Below is link to a useful article that can help you identify the possible causes of your eczema.

goodbyeeczema.com/eczema-in-face

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dario999 on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:17 pm:

I suffer from eczema for more than 8 years and my eczema get worse everytime when i brush my tongue...immediately my eczema start to be itchy and feel burns...Why? i feel that my eczema have a conection with my tongue and stomach when i feel my tongue and mouth ''muddy'' my cezema get worser so first i I thought it can be ''candida '' so i start to eat yogurt and take probiotics and eat garlic but my situation get worse.so seems is not candida..so what can be? What kind of conection can be between tongue, stomach and eczema? Some doctors recomnds to brush your tongue let her ''clean'' pinky ..for other peoples to do this is normal but for me....its a desaster..why? wich is the conection? why?please help..give me some ideas..thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By zelvicka on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:21 am:

Hi,

Recently I have come across a very useful booklet called Heal Your Baby's Eczema available from simplyeczemafree.com (previously I did tons and tons of research however this booklet helped me to get clarification on the issue). My baby started suffering from eczema when she was only 2 months old. When I got this booklet I learned an awful lot about food / environmental allergies but most importantly I learnt how to eliminate them naturally. My baby used to suffer from many food allergies however she is now symptom free and enjoys most of the foods she could not tolerate before. Her skin is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot thank the author of the booklet enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By aeromint on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 07:55 pm:

Hi, I have had chronic eczema since I was a toddler. I have tried various diets and alternative treatments, with varying degrees of success or not. Last year, my husband wanted to try lactose free milk, and so we all started using it. I feel it has improved my facial skin significantly. It does not feel tight, it looks a lot less red, and overall my skin is a lot better. It's strange because I tried a dairy free diet, & it did not produce the same results. Around the same time my homeopath gave me some silca, and I discovered a new face cream Dr Organics - honey). I just want to share this , in case it helps someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fraser on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 02:42 am:

Hi Help is Here,

I'm pretty much off the candida diet, but while on it I took bentonite clay, psyllium seed powder, and capriol acid, all in water every morning on an empty stomach. At night away from food I would take a probiotic. Of course a no sugar diet as well.I didn't feel much difference in my skin until I went off the citric acid/citrus foods. I had 5 great days, continually getting better and then....I ate an apple. Totally regressed, red blotchy skin under my eyes returned. I have not been the same since then and it was 2 weeks ago. I realize that so many foods contain citric acid, and have been unable to find a comprehensive list on the internet - only the typical things like lemons, limes, tomatoes, etc. The problem is that apples have citric acid in them, and I read that they didn't. Onions have citric acid - I don't know how I'm going to find a list. Doesn't seem to be a book on it either. Very frustrating!

I've been feeling really weak and totally exhausted from not sleeping and restricting my diet so much. I really felt I needed to start eating more varied foods - still going very easy on the sugar. SUE DENGATE'S book on the FAILSAFE diet is what I'm trying to do, but having trouble trying to stick to it - I'm not doing it properly because I haven't bought the book, so not giving it my all. I think I need a break from all these special diets, but will try again soon.

Has anyone tried "Histame"? I just ordered it from the States, after reading someone had great luck with it. I replaces the digestive enzyme Diamine Oxidase (DAO). This regulates the histamine levels in the body, unlike antihistamines, which only block the histamine. I'm curious to try it, but not overly excited because nothing seems to work for me....but I'll let you know.

In terms of the low acid tomatoes, I really haven't a clue. I guess try them and see what happens. I just feel constant reactions after eating, sometimes really small sensations like ants crawling on or under my skin, especially on my face.

So glad the candida diet is working for you. For some reason "Histame" really made sense so will keep you informed - I never give up hope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By help is here! on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 01:14 pm:

Hey fraser (and everyone!)

The candida diet is going amazing, been on it for 5 or 6 weeks now and feeling so much better, my facial eczema is gone!!!!!!! Still have patches of eczema on my body, but its early days yet so thats ok. Yep had the colonic which really helped speed things up, its not the most enjoyable thing in the world but i literally felt different when i walked out than when i went in and other people noticed the difference in my skin! (couldnt tell them the reason though, ha)
Fraser were you taking anything alongside the candida diet, probiotics and meds to kill it?
Re the citric acid thing, do you know if low acid tomatos are ok? Interesting about the anti-histamines, i had a feeling they were making me worse! Now that i've stopped taking them my allergies have definately improved..
To anyone on or thinking of doing the candida diet: it's really not that bad! i've been eating nicer food than i ever have in my life, just a matter of putting the effort in and looking for different foods, theres more out there than youd think, and making your own food from scratch.. i can now make wheat, dairy, yeast and egg free bread that tastes good!

this website (won't let me post a direct link for some reason.. so
h t t p : / /hubpages.com/hub/The-Candida-Diet-Part-II

this site has a list of foods allowed, theres a fair bit of conflicting info out there..

IT DOES WORK THOUGH!!! my face is proof...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fraser on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 03:14 pm:

Keep forgetting to mention things!

Another thing that has plagued me is the fullness or constriction in my throat, like someone is applying pressure to my neck. It feels like someone is starting to strangle me, so I find it difficult to talk for long periods of time. It's a horrible feeling. Well....one website I checked out said this could be a citric acid symptom!! He even said it is not so much a problem with the lungs or respiratory system, but more centred in the throat - almost like the inside of your throat is swollen.

Thought I should mention this incase anyone else has this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fraser on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 02:52 pm:

Sorry, me again! Just want to share this with you:

"Citric Acid" is made from corn (not citrus) and black mold, is same as MSG. I'm very allergic to citric acid, especially the artificially made form that is grown on aspergillus niger (black mold
Get citric acid out of our soda pops!

Children (1 of 3) are obese, more than years ago.

What causes this? What causes children to keep consuming after they are full? Is there something in the food or sodas that causes a craving that is never satisfied.

Could it be the same ingredient that doubles the risk of pancreatic cancer (two cokes per week)? Hmmm. What could it be?

Consider that "citric acid" made from corn, not citrus, is found in much of the food and drinks that children consume!

"Citric ccid" is an 'excitotoxin' just as MSG

(mono-sodium glutamate) is! Would you have your child eat or drink something that you know has MSG in it?

Most people would say, "Absolutely not!"

Found the above on-line and thought it was interesting, especially the black mould. I'm highly allergic to mould!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fraser on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 02:26 pm:

Forgot to mention that whenever I would take an anti-histamine I would wake up in the morning with pockets of fluid under my eyes - it looked horrible, and would take days to resolve it's self. Well...anti-histamines contain citric acid!!! The thing that was suppose to help with the itch was making me worse!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fraser on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 02:20 pm:

Hi!

I've been on a candida diet as well - it's been helping a little, but I don't
really think the cause of my eczema is candida, since I've been on this diet for about 2 months. I started reading
about citric acid and it's connection to eczema. I've been on it for 4 days, and am feeling so much better - red, itchy
patches under eyes, are almost clear. I'm still a little itchy, but not like before - it's early in the game, and I'm not
saying this is it. I'm completely jaded because it's been close to 3 years of agony, and trying everything out there so
really I need a few weeks before I'll know. I'll post again to let you know.

Citric acid is in everything - it's in the humous I buy, the canned tomatoes, hot water & lemon I drink every morning!, etc.
It can even be in ice cream. Could contribute to cancer. When cutting out citric acid, also cut
out tomatoes, citrus fruit - be very careful about eating in restaurants. Sodium citrate = salt and citric acid, calcium citrate =
calcium and citric acid. It's absolutely everywhere so very hard to figure it out. I've tried gluten free, dairy free, sugar free (candida diet),
egg free, nut free diets, but to know avail.

Just wanted to share this with you incase it was something you wanted to try. Altering your diet is worth every
hassle it entails - anything to stop the itch and eczema.

Good luck with your candida diet - are you also including a candida-buster kit? It's capriol, bentonite clay, and psyllium
seed with water. You drink it every morning and it helps to eliminate the candida from the colon. I also did a colonic - not
the most pleasant but really helps speed things up (be cautious though, that you find a skilled technician - has to be done properly).

Everyone who has eczema that has tried every diet without relief should avoid citric acid for 2 weeks - you just never know. I don't know if it's even the answer for me (I've been fooled too many times!), but worth a try.

Good luck everyone - keep going, and never stop trying things & most importantly never give up hope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Another worried mum! on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 09:40 pm:

My daughter is 8 now and has anaphylaxis to egg, nuts, lentils, beans, peanuts, banana, kiwi and has skin reactions to most fruit and cucumber! She is desperate to go on a forum for kids with allergies to talk to each other (obviously with a parent around) just to know she's not on her own, and compare idea's with each other that may help. Obviously the allergies don't have to match hers but is there anyone with a daughter about the same age with multipul allergies who would like to chat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By help is here! on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:46 am:

Oh and anyone that wants to talk or has any questions, don't hesitate to email me. Just click on my username!

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By help is here! on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:43 am:

Hi everyone! I wanted to write in because I have just had some excellent excellent news.. today, after five years of my life being completely ruined, and constantly struggling with my allergies, I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED!!! So happy right now, and apparently the condition is extremely common in the western world - but most people just don't know they have it because the symptoms are so varied. It's called candida, and I think everyone here who feels like they are allergic to everything needs to go and get tested. I was muscle tested, and I've heard you can be blood tested too. My symptoms involve horrific eczema all over my body including my face, permanently swollen eyes with dark rings and wrinkles under, awful awful dry skin, blurred vision and 'brainfog'. I'm allergic to all the environmental allergens, plus a vast number of foods, last year I was actually put onto 'elemental' supplement and didn't eat for two months. None of the aviodance measures were helping, even on my restricted diet and living in my van as I couldn't abide houses anymore, I was still reacting randomly to everything. I heard about Candida from a friend and did some research into it and found I had many of the factors that can cause this problem: A diet high in sugar, alcohol consumption, stress and emotional issues, damp environments - and too many courses of antibiotics. From my understanding, candida is something found in most humans, but these factors (and probably a genetic predisposition to it like most things) can cause it to grow out of control and mess everything up. The good news is is that it can be fixed!!!!! It's not easy, I've been prescribed two medicines to kill it, plus two other things to reline my 'gut' (the centre of the immune system), and on top of all this I have to adhere to a strict diet that involves no sugar (including fruit) or yeast products.. not easy when you already have food allergies to wheat, dairy, egg and rye, amongst many other things. but totally worth it, in a month the doctor said i should be starting to feel a lot better, i can't wait, recently I'd been wondering if this kind of life was worth living, so the cure is hard but really it is nothing compared to what i have been enduring for so long.. i had to switch doctors to get the help i needed, and i also went in armed with the knowledge to ask the right questions etc. Also be aware there are products out there to kill it that are like the antibiotics that harmed you in the first place, i was assured by my doctor that the ones given to me do not enter the blood. The ones i got are called Nalcrom and Nilstat, and the helpful ones are called Glutathione and Probex.

Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!! I realised the difference between my life being just awful and being incredible and amazing is just this horrible thing that has been plaguing me for too long..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MsCRobinson on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

I have created a petition to lobby GlaxoSmithKline to produce Piriton Syrup in 5 ml sachets. Please copy the link below and sign if you would like to see this available for our use.

Copy and post on your social networking sites, forward to people in your address book and please urge your partners and grandparents to sign also...
Regards
MsCRobinson

h t t p ://w w w.lobbyingforum.com/petition-detail.aspx?id=178

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tilly on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 07:15 pm:

When my son was a few weeks old he developed severe eczema all over his body. I searched for weeks to find a solution including numerous visits to Doctors and specialists and used any number of recommended products. I discovered by accident when reading a very old children's health guide that an excess of PROTEIN in a baby's diet can result in eczema. At the time I was breastfeeding and drinking health food protein drinks to supplement my own diet - which I stopped immediately. Within 48 hours my son's eczema has COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED. Please check all baby and infant foods for high protein levels - and if breastfeeding, even your own protein intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Rowena on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 11:03 pm:

Hi Louise - you don't need wheat in your diet for it to be healthy but excluding it will make life more difficult that's for certain.

You can still eat things like meat, pulses, fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds etc.

The thing is unless you have a particularly violent reaction to something it can be hard to pinpoint what might be causing the problem. I'm not trying to put you off - just warning you that it can take time.

My own personal experience - I have allergies to milk, eggs and nuts so these things are permanently excluded from my diet. However I also try and exclude wheat and sugar. Wheat because it bloats me and sugar because it makes me fat - excluding either of these doesn't seem to have any major impact on my skin. You may find you respond though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By louise on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

I eat an awful lot of sugary and wheat foods - potatoes, pasta, bread etc I have as the main part of any meal. Over the past say 4 months my eczema has been horrific although it was bad before that and I've been wondering if these foods could be the cause? The problem is that if I try to cut these foods out I get unbearable cravings for them and I'm not actually entirely sure how to have a sufficiently healthy diet without wheat in it. Has anyone got any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Sue on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:42 am:

OMG
but you can be intolerant of ANY food - I can't eat potatoes so your starting diet would not have worked for me! It seems that often frequently eaten foods can be those we most often become intolerant to. I can eat rice and apparently the incidence of rice intolerance in western countries is low whilst there is a marked increase in Japan (where rice is consumed more often). Just a thought....perhaps best to start with foods seldom eaten????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cisco on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 03:47 pm:

My husband had exzema when we met. We both began fasting and became vegetarians for the heck of it (we were young and trying lifestyle changes)and his exzema disappeared as well as his migraine headaches and acne. His exzema had started when he was a child and was just always there. It was so amazing to see this transformation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ry on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 12:34 am:

georgie 1993,

I really feel for you. I too went through my first pregnancy with a really bad outbreak of eczema. It is the hardest thing. My baby is now 10 months old and I can't say it's much better for me. Some things that may help . . .you can try putting apple cider vinegar in your bath (don't know exactly how much, ten capfuls?). it helped me a little. also Aveeno oatmeal bath. my doc said it was okay for me to take Antihistame pills - Loratadine - which is the generic of Claritin too while pregnant and breastfeeding. Let me know if i can be of support to you as i know how challenging this time is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nomoretannin on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 09:03 am:

I gave up black tea two years ago and the improvement in my eczema has been miraculous.

I think maybe it is the tannin in the tea - tannin is used to dry leather so this makes sense to me.

Tannin is also in apple juice, red wine, ribena, black grapes and a bunch of other stuff.

Hint: I gave the tea up half a cup a day to avoid the headaches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Cathy on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 08:37 am:

I have had a recent battle with eczema. I had it all over face, between fingers as well as other assorted unpleasant areas to have it, along with stomach problems. After an arduous elimination diet, I found the cause to be High fructose Corn syrup. I had had patches for years before this breakout. I also get the reaction to ginger, but the worst problem is the corn syrup. I believe this could be a cause for many people. Corn syrup is in 90% of products. I challenge people to take 10 items from your food supply and see how many contain it. Then start reading labels of everything you eat. It will be an eye opener. Most eczema is an internal problem, which is why topical stuff doesn't work, Steroids are like putting a band-aid on a cancerous lesion, the problem will still be there, and your body will still be reacting to the cause. More and more people are getting these immune related responses because our food supply is contaminated with man made ingredients, which we did not evolve eating. We are begining to collectively reject this stuff, and it will only get worse. Doctors can't figure it out for you, they just know how to put the proverbial band-aid on, you are they only one with you all of the time, so you will be your best detective. I noticed that my geographic tongue became worse after I ate this caramel corn I made a lot, which is what made me consider the corn syrup. I don't eat hardly any artificial stuff due to allergy problems and I had had the other ingredients, popcorn, butter, brown sugar with no symptoms appearing. (my symptoms got to the point that they were almost immediate, my eyes would start to itch, burn and the skin around would turn bright red, the next day the eczema would appear or worsen. I hope this helps some people. It is very hard to eliminate the corn syrup, but it can be done and not having eczema makes my life a lot easier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By GraemeSmith on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

There was a scientific study which was published two years ago which showed the incidence of eczema in infants fed on organic dairy products and whose mothers also consumed organic dairy products was 36% les than in children who consume conventional dairy products.
I am trying to locate anyone who has seen an improvement in their eczema, or their children's eczema by switching to organic dairy products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mouse on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 09:44 pm:

i have had eczema since i was 5.
I was careful not to use too strong a steroid cream
but i reached the age of 52.
i put betnovate on my neck, my gp said it was ok.
I now have the neck of a 85 year old woman
every day i have to look at the wrinkles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Georgie1993 on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 05:42 am:

hello,
Ive suffered from eczema ever since i was a baby.
I'm now pregnant and have been getting it chronically all over my hands , face , legs, back, actually just everywhere. i still use a cream subscribed by my doctor, but i don't think its working much anymore. i really want to change my diet but without depriving my baby from any nutrients.
Its so hard, i feel depressed everyday, im embarrassed to show off my body to my boyfriend or even to look people in the eye.
im also trying to find something to put in my bath to make my skin softer and stop itching,
if anyone has any ideas on anything , it would be a great help.

thanks georgie.,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jkwon on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 07:44 am:

I am a 19 year old male and have had eczema for 8 years. I have gone to at least 3 dermatologists and all of course prescribe steroid creams. These do not work in the long run. On a trip to Uruguay to visit family in '06, I went to see a homeopathic doctor, and he immediately suggested cutting out all dairy in my diet. I swear to god it was like a miracle, within 3 weeks of consuming no dairy, my eczema had been severely reduced, and at present I have one tiny patch of skin on my hand that still has very small remnants of eczema on it. Compared to what I had before, which was severe, raw eczema on both feet, on one hand, and on both of my shins, this is an enormous improvement. Looking back on it, it is slightly comic because I had been shelling out thousands for patch-tests, steroid creams, dermatologist visits, etc. and then in one $30 visit to a homeopathic doctor in Uruguay, my eczema is cured. It goes to show that often dermatologists simply prescribe temporary solutions in order to keep you coming back to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By elephant man face!!! on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 09:39 pm:

it was definitely a reaction to the aloe vera gel so beware!!! you can be severely allergic to natural substances aswell!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By elephant man face!!! on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

hi everyone, this site is so comforting to me as i've had eczema all my life, I am 20 years of age and thank god my eczema has clearded up on my body mostly over the last year however it has flared up terribly bad on my face over the past week especially. it was steadily bad until this morning,yesterday i took 100mg of zinc for the first time as i have read numerous people find it helpful and i also put aloe vera gel on my face for the first time(which made it feel extremely tight) i have woken up this morning and my whole face is swollen with red itchy bumps all over, it has also spread to my neck, i am in despair and feel depressed i usually have beautiful skin and im very into my looks and upkeep!did anyone who has tried zinc or aloe vera have this kind of reaction, is this a 'healing crisis'? i am seeing a homeopathist on saturday and i really hope he can help me...has anyone found relief from homeopathy??(sorry about the essay!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RFStars on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:13 am:

You guys please change your diet, please discipline, detox eat fruit lots of greens, i had the worst eczema ever it was not until i visited a Infectious Disease Dermatologist who told me the truth, he said deal with it or change the entire way you eat, after about three weeks of all fruit, veggies, turkey, and chicken it cleared up. Its been two years no sign of eczema, I miss regular food and sometimes I get hungry as hell but it is not worth the agony of eczema. My doctors always tell me eczema is a lifestyle adjust by all means necessary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sCrAtCh on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:28 pm:

Thank you a very usefull site.I am going to start drinking goats milk and give that a try.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jean9v on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:36 pm:

scratch...

take a look at this site... to answer your milk questions... and your skin.

scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/may/milk.htm

jeannine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sCrAtCh on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

Has anybody tried goats milk.Does this help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By madgey on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 02:45 pm:

I have a friend that took out milk out of her diet and her eczema improved greatly. However, now if she has milk her body is so sensitive to it that the reaction she gets is anaphylactic in nature. Hearing this I am reluctant to try any strict dietary manipulations as I would rather have eczema than an anaphylactic reaction to food.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Puddleduck on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 09:48 am:

Carl makes a good point below.

Elimination diets are a good idea if done with guidance from a qualified nutritional therapist or other such specialist, otherwise you risk malnutrition from the loss of vital nutrients which support the immune system, skin and organ function.

I am training as an allergy therapist and nutritional therapist and there are better ways of identifying food allergies or intolerances than either an elimination diet or the orthodox skin prick/skin patch tests (which produce false positives sometimes).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By CarlW on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

Hi all,

I have suffered with Eczema pretty much all of my life, i have been to the doctors so many times who typically precribe steriod creams and emollients, i have also been to specialists and tried pro-biotic creams. None of them actually cure eczema, they just temporarily remove the irritation caused by a flare up.

I can only give you my experince here of what has hepled me. I may be wrong, and others may argue, but i truly belive that the cause of flare ups is related to something that i have eaten. For me, the best way of proving this was to go onto an elimination diet - but to do this you have to be very strict with yourself. My plan was to eat only a few foods to start with that we as humans have eaten for many hundreds of years. I started with just lamb,carrots and potatoes and water. I would only eat this for 5 days before introducing one other food, then i would introduce another vegetable such as mushrooms for the next 5 days. The reason for the 5 days is that it takes about 5 days for a food to go through your system. I know this is really boring, but after 5 days if you introduce a new food, and you get a flare up, then your are most likely allergic to that food.

You should not stop using steriod creams and emollients, especially emollients, the idea is that you find out what foods cause your eczema to flare up, and then graduallly you use less steriods anyway.

only re-introduce meat and freah vegetables for as long as you can, certainly avoid wheat, dairy, artifical colours and flavours. This is very hard to do for young children, but for those of you with young children with eczema, just give a thought to food allergies.

Carl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wheatfreecured on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 03:24 am:

Jamie,

Have you tried removing gluten... wheat flour/barley...from her diet...
Does she have a little basketball like belly... ?Digestive issues... moves her bowels a couple times a day.. does it look normal or is it kind of mushy?
Does she have chronic head colds... or when she gets a cold... does it take along time for her to get better ? Do you live in the states?

Jeannine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jamie on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 02:59 pm:

HELP!!!! My daughter is 2 1/2 years old with severe eczema and food allergies. Since June I have eliminated all foods that she is allergic to such as all foods that contain eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, and coconut oil. I have also removed all environmental triggers that she is allergic to as well. However, she has lived with eczema since the age of two months. Now it is so severe that she cannot wear shoes due to extensive scrating. We were awaken several nights with her screaming and crying in pain and her feet bleeding from the amount of scratching. I am desperate! I have used EVERYTHING prescribed and OTC, along with on-line products to give her relief. Does anyone know of a hospital or a doctor that is the BEST at caring for children with this dreadful condition? I feel so guilty because she is not able to be a normal little girl due to her circumstance. Yes, I know it could be much worse, and I thank God each day that it is not. As a parent, I feel helpless. I have tried everything!!!! Really, there is nothing that I haven't tried or done. I have researched this topic from day one. Location is not a problem with a doctor that can really help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emma r on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

I think we will be adding yeast to my sons list of allergies.....he reacts to certain foods with an urticarial rash......the onset of this reaction apears to be quite slow and gradual. Usually its quite a fast reaction showing within 20mins of consuming something hes allergic to... so this slow reaction has surprised me.

Any one elses kids react to yeast?

The yeast hes consuming is in a special dietry bread i bought which is wf/gf/df/ef.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By MAM on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:47 pm:

My son has had chronic eczema for years and numerous allergies. I know and understand how everyone is feeling : - ( Please google the following E numbers and you will see how bad they can effect sensitive skin and also the different countries that they are band from:

E102/E110/E123/E124/E129/E151/E171 and E216.

I only came across the above as my son was given a pre med tablet to help him sleep and he was really poorly, dry mouth, yellow eyes and up 5 times in the night itching! I checked what was different on his medication compared to previous and it was E171 (Titanium Dioxide)bare in mind E171 is in nearly everything from tablets/creams/toothpaste etc. For the last 2 weeks I have eliminated this (hard work I will say) but what a difference in his skin and he is also alot calmer in himself. Give it a go and hopefully you will experience some difference and peace of mind. I have mentioned this E number to the consultant but she had not heard of it but did say it was ok to eliminate it and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 06:55 am:

FOOD COLORING.....My daughter is 4 years old and has suffered from eczema since she was 6 months old. There is food coloring in so many things. I eliminated all food coloring about two weeks ago, and my daughter is almost completely clear. I tried other food eliminations, but never thought about the food dyes. So if you have tried other things, think about eliminating food coloring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By anon on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:17 pm:

Lifelong bad eczema.
Got to say that elimination is not a good idea because it's just not practical. What if you need to go to a work lunch or a party ? Better to eat a mostly bland diet and to occasionally have small amounts of things you suspect set you off.
So have a little bit of cheese every month, then a little bit of wheat the next month etc. Have whatever it is in just one meal on one day, then don't have it afterwards. For example, have an egg for breakfast one day, but not again for weeks afterwards. Have some tomatoes one day, then don't have them again for weeks. Keep it rotating, never let your body build a memory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Amy on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 09:30 pm:

Emma, hope it goes well for you, let me know how it works out! Just post back on this page if you get a chance!
X

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emma r on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:19 pm:

thanks for your reply amy, i will phone our nearest private hospital and see what they say :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Amy on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 01:53 pm:

Hi Emma, well I just went to my regular GP and said how depressed I was and I'd be willing to pay and go to have private testing and so he wrote a letter to the BUPA hospital near me. I think you then send it to the Department that deals with the Allergy testing. You're most likely best phoning your local private hospital first though, because my Mum did for me and they just said they needed a reference letter from the GP, which I could then send and they'd sort out an appointment.
Another option is the holistic approach, it is cheaper and you can pay to be tested but there have been lots of stories about this not being accurate. My Mum had a severe reaction on her face and went to a holistic centre, they told her she was allegic to wheat so she gave it up and nothing happened. She then went privately and she was tested but before she was the Doctor said, 'You've been touching your face a lot since you walked in. Do you wear nail varnish'? Which she did and she'd been putting it on because when she was depressed with her swollen face she'd make her nails look nice! So in my experience you are best off going private straight away. The only problem is it would be £200 here where I live. But I know for me the money didn't matter because I would have paid a hell of a lot more to be rid of it!
Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps and that your son gets better.
X

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By emma r on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:11 pm:

Hi Amy, glad to hear you've found the cause of your eczema! My son has had reactions to several foods (milk, gluten and tomatoes so far, he is only 8months old), and id like to get an allergy test done privatly, how do you go about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Amy on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:12 am:

I've had severe eczema for about the past year now, although I've had it on and off as a child. A few months ago it was so bad I couldn't close my eyes or cry or smile. I was very depressed and hated everyone who didn't have eczema. Although I have had RAST tests nothing significant came up. then one day my 11 year old sister said 'Hey why dont you try giving up orange juice' and i thought it can't do any harm. Anyway within 2 days my face was healing and new fresh baby skin was showing. its now been about 1month and I've never had this feeling before! i no longer itch at all! that urgent need 2 shred at my skin is gone and my skin is looking so much better. I just need to have a RAST test but checking things such as citric acid, limonene (in LOADS of face creams), and citronellol. I noticed my skin became terrible after I used Bio-oil which contains limonene and citronellol. Don't listen to the doctors who just want you to use steroids. keep on searching because you may just have an allergy and continue to make it worse like I did. Eliminate things, get tested, keep a food diary, whatever it takes, push on at your Doctor, i was about to go for private allergy treatment at BUPA for £200 before my sis said about the oranges! She saved me my money and a little bit of my sanity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Keir on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 09:40 pm:

Hello, I thought having found out what food type was causing my eczema I would write in and share so that anyone else might give it a try.
I suffered for years with various flare ups and tried all sorts of diet changes, detegent changes, medication, etc etc. I was so frustrated by it all and it made my life a living hell. But one day I was lucky that I stumbled onto the cause of it all.....MALTED foodstuffs...SHREDDIES!!!!!
As soon as I cut them out the problem was gone...now I'm just angry at how long it took to luck into the solution.
For everyone out there...if you eat anything MALTED, stop, and see what happens.

All the best, Its not a lot of fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By suzywoozy on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:11 pm:

Hi

My son gets bad flare ups when he eats dairy. This is normally Ok as we have got very used to dealing with it at home. We are goping to the Netherlands in a few weeks, does anyone know of anywhere i can get translations of words like, lactose, whey and caseinates into dutch so I check lables there?

Also does anyone know how likely I am to be able to get soya alternatives there?

Thanks

Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trottytroo on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:31 pm:

hi
the naturopath my son goes to is in Beckenham, Kent but is soon moving to West Wickham
hope this is of help
if you need further details, address phone number etc, let me know and i will either e mail them or post them on here
regards
keep smiling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Helen Lord on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:15 am:

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions. He isn't allergic to wheat thankfully (rast test was +ve a year ago but the recent skin test was 100% negative).

The de-sensitizing sounds interesting although as he has a very high total IgE score I'm not sure how many things we'd have to desensitize him for. Please could you pass on the contact details of your naturopath as it would be really useful to at least get one for eggs (and good to go to someone who has genuinely helped someone - not the "Mom cures Son's eczema in a week" type of place - I'm sure we've all been taken in by a few miracle creams!)

Many thanks - has anyone had success with probiotics Reuteri or L Rhamnosus?

Kind Regards,
Helen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trottytroo on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:40 am:

hi
we've found out that our son also has numerous allergies, we took him to a naturopath as well as him being tested at the hospital. The naturopath has given us desensitizer for each of his allergies and although i admit i didnt expect it to make any difference, it has. he can now have the things he was allergic to but in small quantities so he doesnt have to have such a restricted diet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jimbob on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:00 pm:

My son who is nearly 2.5 reacts to oilatum plus which we were using, it was on the advice of his derm nurse that we changed products. We have now taken a more natural route as anything with liquid parrafin/petroleum in seems to cause his eczema to flare. We use aalgo for his bath which is a seaweed product and dermasalve baby and infant cream for his skin as that one does not contain the liquid parrafin unlike the normal one. He is on a restricted diet as he has multiple food allergies and we give him starflower oil and he eats roasted hemp seeds. We also give a powdered probiotic daily and whilst I am not sure if it helps his eczema it does not flare it up so maybe your son is reacting to the probiotic.

Kelly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wheatfreecured on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 04:31 pm:

Helen,

Just some thoughts regarding your son.

I assume that he was tested for Celiac, 5% who have Celiac also have the skin rash. I know I have it.
Also, do you use any lotions that contain oatmeal, such as Aveeno ? Also, he could be having a reaction from the oilatum.

j

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Helen Lord on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 03:45 pm:

Question for anyone having success with probiotics:
I have a 2.5 yr old with moderate eczema (he’s got allergies/intolerances to lots of things foods, dust, pollen, cat etc - reacted to on skin prick and rast testing). I’ve been giving him 5 drops of reuteri (the Infacol one) everyday for about a week and a half and his skin seems to be getting worse. Does anyone know how long it takes to see an improvement? And did it make your child’s eczema worse before it got better?

Obviously we are desperate to do anything to stop the constant scratching. We do other stuff too to try and help – intensive hoovering, omega 3/6/9 oils, oilatum in the bath, keeping the cat downstairs, 60 degree washes, ecover liquid, cotton clothes, stitched up sleep suits, loads of creams, antihistamine at night etc. We’ve also tried a no histamine diet which did help but was impossible to stick to as it was so restricted (also probably not healthy for an already fussy eater). Also many of the consultants/the health visitor have/s stressed the importance of him being treated as normally as possible.
Many thanks,
Kind regards,
Helen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Page on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:09 pm:

Hi, has anyone ever heard of an allergy to blackberries? my son loves them, but I noticed his eczema flaring up and can only think of this. It is so disappointing as it was under great control for months. He is fourteen months old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samantha on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:31 pm:

for the second time i am on the candida diet, i have found someone who actually knows what he's talking about and put me through 4 weeks of diet elemination found 13 foods that i reacted towards now i'm on the anti-candida diet and on nystatin my eczema has calmed down still dry but not craking or itchy and the skin isn't red anymore. he told mr if you have it in your tummy button it is nearly always candida as it thrives in wet warm places also in the groin area! anyway its working i hope to be totally clear by christmas i will keep you informed! good luck to you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tuttifruiti on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:13 pm:

My eczema was quite bad some months ago, so I decided to take drastic action with my diet after discovering I was intolerant to numerous things dairy, wheat, yeast and some other stuff. I realised being on a yeast free diet pretty much restricted everything else I was allergic to, so I went on a yeast free diet and took all the supplements recommended by my nutritionist. I also had two sessions of colonic hydrotherapy to release the toxins as I had poor digestion. It's been over two months since I've been on the diet and my eczema has cleared up a great deal, my digestion is also much better. I would recommend to everyone to see a nutritionist and get a food intolerance test. It will be difficult at first but after 2 or 3 months you should see good results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gina on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:05 pm:

Hi evenlee

It is more likely that it is the histamine in citric acid (appears naturally in citrus fruits). It is quite common that this can flare up your eczema especially if you are suffering from a bad smell. You shouldn't need to totally avoid just avoid contact with damaged or cut skin and only have in small quantities.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By evnlee on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:14 am:

hi all
i have cut out wheat and diary in my diet and it cleared up by 70% after a week im so happy now as it was on my face,back and arms and i was spending a fortune on creams and supplements in the hope it would clear up i do still take zinc,a multi vitamin,and udos oil but thats all im taking now i also have a spoonful of manauka honey every day as its meamnt to be a natural probiotic and no diary unlike the yakhult products etc the only thing is it got very itchy again last night the only thing i can think of is citric acid as i had cough sweets with it in has any1 heard of allergie too citric acid thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Gina on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 09:34 pm:

Hi

Anyone who is interested in a histamine free diet which has changed my daughters and our lives in a week, please read my message under teensgers. I would have rewrote but it was too large to copy.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kez on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

Hi Steph, my son is 6yrs old and has many intolerences,allergies eg, tomato, citrus fruit, berries, additives, dogs,cats, polish etc! - but big 'no no' is Dairy and eggs. Are you based in the Uk as I can give you some products he may like/try. Know how hard it is - espectially at Halloween, christmas, birthdays and so on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By steph on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 03:59 am:

my son is 3yrs old he has had eczema an food allergies since he was born he is allergic to all indoor & outdoor allergies and dairy soy beef chicken pork fish peanut yeast corn egg whites and i am finding it hard to find food to feed him that he will eat and can someone be allergic to all protein any suggestions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nixietube on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

I have numerous IgE-mediated food allergies, confirmed with a blood test. They were bad enough that my doctor put me on a lamb-and-rice diet for a month. For that month, I only ate two foods: lamb and white rice.

I've been adding foods back one every three days, and I've discovered that I have a -lot- of food allergies. Some of them are IgE-type (hives), while others are slower or mediated by other mechanisms.

Interestingly, sardines really helped my skin to become noticeably oilier (even though I hate the taste of them). Dairy seems to dry out my skin, even though I'm not allergic to it. The dry skin makes it harder for my skin to fight infections.

The problem with testing foods is that I need to suffer for 3 or more days before I can go on to the next food. Sometimes the reaction makes me very sick.

I was thinking that maybe I could test foods by making a mush, putting some on a band-aid, and letting it touch my skin for 24 hours. I could then see if my skin reacts to the food. Has anyone tried this with success?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jellybean on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:45 am:

1. How did you manage the no-wheat, no dairy, no egg, no preservative, no nut diet...how did you make sure she got all the vitamins, etc. she needed. Was there a special plan that you used?

2. My infant daughter has eczema and I am trying desperately to get it under control. Has anyone had success with probiotics? I have read a lot of research lately that says using them may reduce infant/child eczema in half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alex on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:46 am:

our daughter was put on a wheat free, dairy free, no egg , no preservatives and no nuts diet when she was two. It totally eradicated her eczema in 6 - 12 months. It was dead easy to do because the alternative was live with eczema. She is now six and has the strongest, smoothest skin of anyone i know...its like velvet. There never was a dry patch again. she did also have some small doses of zinc but that was it - no fancy stuff just a very pure diet, no creams or bandanges.
all the best to the parents of children with eczema...try the above....PLEASE!!!
alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Butterfly on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 04:02 am:

My food allergies are numerous. I am allergic to oranges, grapefruit, peaches, raspberries, strawberries, chocolate, and tomatoes, (I avoid all of these). I am also allergic to any foods with artificial flavours and colouring, and salt seems to make me itchy. I'm unsure if I am allergic to milk, gluten, or wheat.

I've never had food allergy tests, but just noticed through the years what seems to make me itch. I do plan to get food allergy tests done before the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vic on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:57 pm:

I'm a bit tired of hearing about the candida website now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tc12346 on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:06 pm:

If you read about candida, you will see that too much sugar and yeast can cause many illnesses. My dad had severe eczema his whole life and I have very dry skin. My skin has gotten a lot better from the anti-candida diet.

about candida:
www.candidacentral.com

the diet:
www.candidadiet.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tina on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 09:10 pm:

I have found too much sugar makes my son's asthma worse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Twiggy on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:01 am:

has anyone found that cutting out sugar and dairy has helped their eczema? i stopped eating these food groups about 3 months ago to loose weight. i cant believe how clear my skin is. i also take fish oil tablets and zinc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kim on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:18 am:

Roverbrat-
Sorry for the delay- things have been hectic here and I haven't had muc time for the internet.
Rith is right- the doctors circle sounds great. I know someone who volunteers for a group and she is all for it.
My doctor's office is in Orange, off of Chapman.
Dr. Watcher 714-538-8556
If she is booked up, Dr. Applebaum is excellent as well, although I don't think they will come up with anything less than the UCLA group or the doctor who specializes in military personnel.
He may have been exposed to something a civilan's derm may not know about or there may have been other vets who have come to that one doctor you mentioned with similar symptoms.
It sounds much more severe than any eczema case I have read about, and I have read A LOT. Can your dad find a quantity of alcohol less than 6-8 and get the same relief, that is, until his doctor's visit?
Take photos and document as much as possible before the group meeting. You dad may not be able to let it be at its worse at that time and some visuals may greatly help them figure things out. Document dates, times, condition, and even the weather, what he ate that day, how much beer he did/did not consume. Anything else you can think of. Too much info is better than not enough.
My heart truly goes out to you and your dad. He has my utmost respect for going through such an ordeal and being so active in trying to conquer it.
Keep us posted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:41 am:

RoverB - good to hear- round table discussions are a much better way of working out plans of care- everyone can knock heads together at the one time- i have found these very useful as often new info/different opinions etc can be discussed- and is very important for your dad to make sure he plays a pivotal role in this. Might be a good idea to have someone else go with himas a support - and get him to complile a list of questions/queries that he might have that he can take along with him so that he gets his questions answered. It is quite easy to get off track/miss info for the patient during these meetings as it is hard to take in all the info that gets thrown at you. Also, write the names & phone numbers of the docs/other heatlh professionals involved for your own info- as these can be handy to have later on for followups if needed. I hope all goes well with you guys and yes keep us posted - all the best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:05 pm:

Ruth and Kim,
Thanks for asking! My dad is doing ok. He is still itching like crazy, and trying some new meds.
He came down to So Cal last week and met with yet another doctor. His file is becoming hundreds of pages thick. The next step is going to be a 'round table' at UCLA Med. Center where up to 75 doctors will take a look at him and all together have a crack at what might be going on. The latest is possibly a viral skin infection. Who knows!
I will keep you updated when I know more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:59 pm:

Hi RoverB - any more news on your dad???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:32 am:

RoverB- your dad was being weaned off prednisolone as he was starting to take Protopic (i.e Tacrolimus - the oral form of protopic) and often with the weaning process you can expect what is called a 'rebound' effect happen whereby the eczema can come back with a vengence because the prednisolone has in essence been holding its effects back. This should settle down with time - and hopefully the tacrolimus (which can take some time to work) will start having an effect. We went through the same process with our girl (who was actually taking azathioprine - another oral form of immunosuppression) and we had some weeks following the prednisolone withdrawal where it was very bad. WE also had to play around with the azathioprine dosage as it was initially too weak and not controlling the eczema - but eventually we did see a HUGE improvement- but we needed to go to this stage in order to get it.
It really does sound like at least things are happening for your dad as far as they are taking him seriously and doing the tests (rather than just fobbing him off). I think it would be unwise for anyone of us at this stage to guess at exactly say what is happening with him - given the complexity of his illness,meds etc - but if it is at all possible - get him to document in a daily diary what is happening with him e.g. how much alcohol consumed, how much psychological stress (this often gets overlooked but is so important!), condition of skin, itching - how bad,how long, how much sleep - is it interfering with this etc etc - just as if someone else who was reading it could get a snapshot insight into a day of his life of living with this. If possible - get hold of a digital camera and get some photos of what is going on and date these -so can watch how it improves/deteriorates- give copies to the specialists (believe me - pictures really do speak a thousand words! and docs love it- also helps to back up your version of events).
Wait for the results to come back on his tests and hopefully this will fill bits in on the puzzle. I wouldn't worry too much about what the doc says - you really are after getting some results and help from them - sometime they really do have a habit of foot-in-mouth- but as long as you are getting somewhere with them - stick with them. Hopefully Kim will send you the details of the doc that she knows - is always good to a tried out referral!. Keep in touch with all of this - will be VERY interested to hear what goes on......all the best to you & your dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:48 am:

Kim and Ruth,
I talked to him tonight and here is what I know. Any idea what is going on here?
He has had two biopsies. The results came back as Nummular Eczema versus LSC versus Folliculitis versus Majochi's. Last biopsy done March '04.
He has been on over 60 prescriptions in the last 7 months. He was on 60 mg prednazone (sp?) for 2 weeks, then went to 50 mg for 2 weeks, then 40mg for 2 weeks, etc. It didn't help at all. He is currently taking Protopic. Some sort of non-steroid, but works like a steroid drug. He hasn't taken it long enough to give an opinion on it yet.
He also has done a scratch test and the lesions have no fungus or parasites. It's as if 'it' is in his blood and is working it's way out of his body through his skin. Yuck!
Things had been getting better and drying up since he started drinking (6-8 beers a day) in the past two weeks. His skin peels off easily in sheets (it peels off freely and he isn't picking at it). But, on Friday he stopped drinking again and in a matter of 48 hours 'it' has gotten much worse again. So like the bad child I am, I suggested he start drinking again, but he wants the doctors to see it again at his next appointment at it's worse. Crazy! The lesions are now opening up, weeping, bleeding and spreading. He also has developed swollen ankles/calves. He says it looks like gout and spider veins. He is going to have new lab panels and blood work done next appointment. They have tested him before for immune problems and all has come back ok, but they are going to look deeper this time.
The doctor he saw in So Cal was Dr. Grecco in Huntington Beach. He is an experienced dermatologist and army experience. All that doctor could say was 'it looks angry'.
If they can't find anything more after more tests they are going to send him to an auto-immune specialist. So, Kim he would love to know your doctor's name and city. Thank you, thank you!
Oh, Kim, no his lesions/sores are not like hives or blisters. They itch, but do not burn. The weep and bleed instead.
That's all I know for now. Thanks again and again for all of your help and suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chickenlil on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:39 am:

Hello -- I have been reading this board with great interest, as I have also suffered from severe eczema for many years. I found great relief
from chiropractic - specifically, light force work. It was very effective. Also, for Toby and others, look into the "pecanbread" group on yahoo.com - These people use a diet called
SCD(specific carbohydrate diet) which is based on a book by Elaine Gottschall, called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" - These are parents of children with autism and other disorders who have responded to the diet of legal and illegal substances, which affects digestion and all kinds of allergic syndromes, as well as behaviour problems. They are very committed and the diet seems to work--if followed absolutely.

As for food - I discovered a line of food products, called Pulse, which is non-dairy, no soy, no additives or artificial chemicals, etc. - it does have corn and nuts so is not for everyone, but after the 10 days (Food First) my exzema cleared up and has not come back. It's really wonderful, and also I can eat it all day long and my kids love it too. check it out -
http://oliveoyl.org

Lil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:09 am:

Thank you Ruth and Kim!
I really appreciate all of your help and advice. I will check in with my dad this weekend and get more info. I think they have done a biopsy, but if not I think he has been wanting to get one done. I am interested that your symptoms are so similar to his. It all started with three small, quarter size, red, itchy, weepy, round spots on each leg and one bigger one on his back. They dried up off and on and the old ones spread and new ones appeared until the spots covered his body.
I will talk to him also about the meds he is on and ask what he has tried. I will suggest Neosporin as well. I think the skin is easily peeling off and I will recommend he does not peel it off.
Kim, I will find out what doctors he has been to. I would love the name of your So. Cal doctor because maybe she can figure this out. His past doctors have been baffled!
I'll post when I find out more. Thank you! Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:46 am:

Hi RoverB - sounds like your dad is having a difficult time and has been for a while. It also sounds as if you are supporting him as best as what you can- unfortunattely there isnt a cure for eczema so we have to get through this as best as what we can. Kim's ideas sound good ones - i.e. getting a biopsy to ascertain what is actually going on within the skin and also treating the eczema with Neosporin & pain relief. Having said that - your dad needs to be careful as far as what meds he takes because of liver damage from alcoholism (may not be able to take some - or may have to have doses adjusted), plus have to be wary of interactions with other meds he may be on. The topical steroids or the other topical medications such as protopic(tacrolimus) hopefully should offer him relatively fast temporary relief. He needs to be compliant in their use if he wants to get full benefit from them - this could be an issue for him as well. All you can do is keep researching and encouraging him to try different things to see what will give him relief. That is a huge form of support - a lot of people feel very isolated by this condition so he is very lucky and fortunate to have you looking out for him. Hope you find something that works - perhaps let us know what gets recommended as many of us have our own experiences with the whole range of things available!. all the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:04 am:

Thank you again Ruth. He is actually getting psychological help. He is on depression meds and in therapy. They keep changing his meds and he feels like the therapist is helping but he is still on the edge. I don't know how much he says is what he is really feeling and how much is just talk. He has always exaggerated the truth a bit.
I am not sure what else I can do for him other than web research. He and my step-mom are filling out all kinds of claim forms for Veteran help and disability.
Thanks for all your help. I will keep on searching the web for more answers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:43 pm:

Roverbrat - Is your dad getting any psychological help i.e. any counselling or therapy to help him???. I'm sure he probably had lots of docs involved in the medications side of things - but I wonder given the stresses you have mentioned your dad has in just your short message i.e. Vietnam, alcoholism, wife's serious illness - does he have anyone to actually talk to about what is happening in his life or are they just focussed on the medical issues and not addressing how he is coping with all of this. I would hazard to guess that he has used his drinking as a coping mechanism and that of course has negative impacts on the functioning of his body. Eczema is often like a barometer of your stress levels too - when you are stressed with things in life - your skin will subconsciously show it. Maybe this is one reason why he has returned back to his drinking. This is a health problem which particularly needs to be hit at from every angle - because it impacts on every aspect of your life - physical,emotional,psychological,social and spiritual - an imbalance in anyone of these as may be occuring in his life right now will affect one or all of these areas of life. A cream/ointment may treat the symptoms of this - but support needs to come from all areas - not just the physical. I hope he can get some help - it might pay for him to talk to a social worker or psychologist about what is going on in his life - reduction in stress will only benefit and hopefully bring him some comfort. sometimes the docs are not good at doing this and other health professionals are more in tune with discussing these issues. just an idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kim on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:46 am:

Rover- may I advise you to get your dad to do a biopsy. It would clear up the question on what it is he has exactly.
Also, he sounds like me when my eczema first started- I hardly ate, would be lucky if I got 6 hours of sleep a WEEK, was in inbelievable pain and nothing would help. His symptoms sound similar to the ones I used to have. The doctor thought it looked like psoriasis but after a biopsy, the report came us as eczema.
Question- his skin that is coming off in sheets...is it b/c he is pulling it off and it removes easily? I had this- get him to consciouly STOP or it will become a VERY difficult habit to break. Does he feel like he has hives/blisters beneath his skin that itch and burn? That is how my eczema started.
On his weaping open sores, get some Neosporin with Pain relief and pile it on, whenever and as much as he wants. It is safe to use, the pain relief med (praximine) will help with the pain and is the best itch relief I have found. If your dad's doctor have stooped to methotrexate and vioxx be very careful and aware of your dad's behavior/mental state.

My advice is to get a biopsy. If your dad ever comes down to So Cal, there is a GREAT dermatologist who did my biopsy and is great with autoimmune skin disorders. She has helped me with alopecia aerata (which si now gone) my KP and eczema.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:23 am:

Thank you Ruth!
Yes, his health history is complex. The doctors are unsure as to if the alcoholism has contributed to his eczema. Everyone seems to give him a different answer and a different cream to try. He seems to have just too many things going on here that can contribute to his condition. You are definitely on to something thinking that his stress level may contribute to the eczema and the drinking lowers his stress level. There may be a direct correlation there! :) They have not isolated his triggers for his eczema. They are really unsure if it is eczema (or psoriasis) at all in that it blisters, weeps, and itches to the point of him not sleeping for weeks at a time. He did not have this as a child or while in Vietnam. It really came to be a over a year ago just before he stopped drinking and once he did stop drinking it got worse, much much worse. Now more than a year later, everyday seeming to be worse than the last, he started drinking again and it is getting better and his skin is peeling off in sheets but some blisters still remain, but do not look like they are spreading.
He really is not getting much help with this. He lives in Northern California and I am in Southern California. I spend whatever free time I can looking up Agent Orange, eczema, psoriasis, and skin rashes on the internet and send the information up to him. He and his very ill wife (my-step mom) come down (6 hour drive) to their various appointments monthly. The doctors near him do not know what to do and the doctors at the Veterans hospital down here seem to pass him off to someone else. He is unstable and constantly changing his medications. I just hope someone figures out something soon! Thanks for all your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:24 am:

HI Roverbrat- your dad's health history sounds as if it is complex. I don't think anyone knows the full extent of the exposure on his body to the agents that he may have had in Vietnam - it certainly may have contributed to it. Does the docs think that his alcoholism might have contributed to his eczema??. Another explanation could be that your father may feel as if his stress levels decrease when he drinks - which may indirectly contribute to a reduction in severity of eczema???- not sure whether this is right or correct- just an idea that's all. Have they isolated/addressed any other possible triggers for his eczema - did he have this before going to Vietnam i.e. as a child???. Is he getting much support to help him deal with this - and are you??. Dont overlook yourself in all of this as it affects everyone involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ROZ on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:18 pm:

HI EVERYONE
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A GO AT FINDING OUT ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES, IS THERE A ROUTINE THAT I SHOULD FOLLOW. I HAVE HAD DERMATITIS ON MY HANDS FOR 8 YEARS AND TREAT IT WITH STEROIDS AND EMOLIENTS FROM THE DOCTOR. I HAVE TO AVOID HANDLING CERTAIN THINGS AS I HAD PATCH TESTS DONE BUT THEY WERE FOR CHEMICALS AND FRAGRANCES ETC. MAYBE IT'S SOMETHING TO DO WITH DEFICIENCY? I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR ADVICE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By RoverBrat on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:08 am:

Thanks for reading this!
My father has been suffering from severe skin rashes all over his body for over a year and doctors seem to think it is eczema. The rash itches uncontrollably and weeps constantly. He has tried wet steroid treatments and is currently trying to dry the rashes out instead.
This rash started just after he stopped drinking beer. He has been an alcoholic for almost 40 years, drinking beer throughout the day. When he finally gave up the beer the rash seemed to appear and slowly grow over his entire body (his palms and bottoms of feet are not affected).
As I mentioned he is trying to dry the rash out now with other dry medications. In his disgust with himself he has again started drinking, but just 2-3 beers a day. His skin has immediately made a difference and is peeling off in sheets. The skin underneath is red, but is not weeping continuously. It still itches uncontrollably.
Could there be any connection of the beer keeping this condition in check?
He has seen many dematologists at the Veterans hospital and as they diagnose eczema he still believes it may be a reaction to agent orange when he was in Vietnam.
Any ideas or comments would help immensely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Nicky on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:22 pm:

I have suffered from total body eczema for 33 years now and up until now have found no real relief. I have tried every cream tablet and trial I could get on to no luck. Until I started haveing severe attacks of eczema on my face, not a patch my whole face it seemed to be more severe that the rest of my body and I looked like I have been severely burnt. I recently on recommendation and desparation when to a nutritionalist who did various tests on my hands and feet. What she discovered was that I have severe Candida within my digestive system and lungs and on my skin she put me on a restictive diet of no wheat sugar yeast of dairly for 1 month on retesting the candida had gone she then discovered that my main problem was dairy I have now converted to goats milk and avoid all other dairy which is a small sacrifice for a life without itching and soreness. I would be more than happy for anyone to contact me if they require more information and would love to think that this information will help another sufferer be free of this crule curse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pragati on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:47 pm:

Dear All
I developed eczema whilst pregnant with my son who is 2 and a half years old which got worse after the birth and only cleared up when I started taking chinese herbal medecines for it. however i fell pregnant again with my daughter whoi is 1 years old and had to stop the herbal medecines. Now the eczema returns if I stop taking the herbal medecine. I am now drinking herbal teas twice a day and seeing an acupuncturist but is their any alternative to this treatment which helps but doesnt make the eczema go away completely. It is also very expensive can I get alternative treatment on the NHS? Also my skin has become hyperpigmented on my face does anyone know of any treatment for it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Vicky on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:57 pm:

I used to suffer terribly from eczema as well as a whole host of other related illness such as frequent colds and coughs, allergies, hayfever and acne. When I was in my early twenties, someone suggested that I follow the Hay Diet. This is basically FOOD COMBINING which is where you separate starch foods from proteins at meal times. This of course defies much of the nutritional advice we have been given whilst growing up but I can personally say that since I have been food combining properly, I have not suffered at all from eczema. This is after having to apply steroid creams for years which obviously only masked the problem and ironically was not good for my skin anyway! Something else which helped tremendously was not having as much dairy. If you think about it, humans are the only species on the planet to be weaned off their mother's milk, only to replace it with another animal's! Ask yourself where fully grown cows get their calcium from to obtain their big healthy bones - it is from grass and grains! We don't see cows drinking milk from other cows in the field! So why do we make sure that after breast milk, we instantly giver our chidren milk from a cow - look at how unhealthy we are as a nation! We are actually the 14th healthiest country in the world (according to the World Health Organisation) and Japan is the 1st. Japan does not have a massive dairy production as we do. Giving up dairy and food combining are two of the best health moves I have ever made. I can't say you will never ever get sick again but I know that personally - I hardly ever get colds anymore, I no longer suffer from the painful, itchy and unsightly eczmea which was really taking its toll on me and which I suffered from for YEARS! No doctor ever said to me "What are you eating?" What's more, I have lost weight because when you eat correctly, your weight is restored to its natural position gradually over time. My husband and many of my friends also food combine - with incredible results! Check out my site www.littleguru.co.uk which will give you more info and has links to other sites of interest that will truly help you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sharon on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:33 pm:

Is there a fast or easy way to test for food allergies ar intollerances? I have 4 children, 2 of whom are sufferers. The eldest is severe, having spent the last 4 nights in hospital to clear him up, and #2 was bad but after alarming reactions to foods when solids were introduced we cut them out (me too as I was feeding him) and his cleared up with only small patches behind his knees, elbows and groin flaring up. We've had both boys skin pricked tested and while avoiding the foods for #2 worked it didn't for #1. Was this because some of his triggers are environmental: dust, grasses, cats? Or have we been doing it wrong? I worry that we are useing stronger and stronger steriod creams on John and that when he's bad nothing, not even the anti-histamins at very high doses, works.
Sharon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Concerned Mum on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:58 am:

Has anyone had this experience of dairy-free diets.After years of suffering my 22 year old son has seen a remarkable improvement in his skin. We tried every exclusion diet going but were told to exclude for 2 weeks at a time, when we saw no improvement after this time we gave up, however in desperation and why i dont know to this day we continued dairy free,well after 6 weeks we began to realize that perhaps something was beginning to change here and now after 2years his skin is almost( dare I say )normal. After years of intolerable suffering we are now having to mend his mind instead of his skin.My heart goes out to everyone who suffers in this way it is almost unbearable to watch your children go through this , but from my experience its worth trying dairy-free for a long long time.You have to read every single label of every food,takes a lot longer than a normal shop but so so worth it.Sainsburys stock a good range of dairy free.Interested to know if anyone else has similar story to tell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By melissa on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:13 pm:

Just wanted to post this. I don't know if any of you out there are experiencing a combination of eczema and psoriasis, but I was. I have been off tomatoes for over a month now and both the dyshidrotic eczema and the psoriasis on my hands and feet have cleared considerably. I reacted to tomato, soy and shellfish when tested, as well as dust mites. I have tried to clean the house of items with the above foods in them as well as rid the house of dust mites by vacumming and such. I also take an Allegra once daily. After all the dermatologists who were ready to prescribe Methotrexate and Imuran, I think I have found an alternative. Good Luck to all and have a safe and happy holiday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By apolloaqua on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:23 am:

Hi everybody
Food dosent really affect my eczema or so I think. I took the allergy test and result negative. I take goats milk and soya milk on my cereal and puddings. I take watered down goats milk in my tea and dandelion coffee. When I dine out I can take ordinary coffee, I even take cappacino an odd time. The cappacino is absolutely beautifull and I cant resist it. I sometimes buy gluten free products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tobys mum on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks for all your messages - it's amazing what a difference diet makes to Toby......with the wet wrapping and diet I think we'll be able to make his life so much happier - he laughs all day long now!!!!

Kathy - I know wheat allergy relates directly to skin - I'm not sure about gluten - re diet - Great Ormond Street Hospital have some fantastic leaflets which let you know what to avoid - their no is 020 7405 9200 - I believe there is a small charge for them. I think you should avoid anything unless it says gluten free or you have checked with the supplier/manufacturer...

A couple of food suppliers are Orgran (orgran.com)& www.glutenfree-foods.co.uk (Glutano & Barkat) - we hopefully will be getting 'staples' on prescription.....

thanks for your support!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:57 am:

hi there Toby's mum...i am thrilled that you have managed to get some help for your boy and more importantly that it has been taken seriously and is now translating into something helpful for all of you!!!. i will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed ...its great to hear that things are improving. keep in touch and let us know how you progress with things - sincerely all the best !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jane on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 07:54 am:

sorry its www.coeliac.co.uk hope its of some use to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jane on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 07:43 am:

My mum is not allowed anything with gluten in. She has all her bread, flour etc prescribed by the docter. she is a member of the coleiac society (sorry about spelling). They produce a book which tells you all the products that are gluten free in shops. Worth checking out web site it may help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Kathy on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 07:03 am:

Hi Toby's Mum:

I am too recently found out I am gluten sensitive. Do you know this is related to skin? And also what sort of things I should look out?

Kathy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

That's great news Toby's mum. Keep us updated on his progress.

I'm glad you've got to the bottom of this at last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tobys mum on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 10:53 pm:

Hi

Have found out that Toby is highly allergic to wheat - he has been put on a wheat/gluten exclusion diet and his flatulence is 80% better - he is sleeping in his own cot for the 1st time since May!!!

Great ormond St was brilliant - they kept him in a week and rreferred him to the gastro team - we are now bathing him and wet wrapping him 2x every day and he is so much happier - he is playing and only scratching when distressed - about 4x a day - keep your fingers crossed improvement continues......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

to toby's mum, i will keep my fingers crossed for you. do let me know how you get on, all the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By W on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

Hi, Jen:

When eczema flares up, we shed a lot of dead skin, and because of the shedding,we are also losing protein as well, because skin is composed of many thing including protein. So in severe cases of eczema, when there is a weight loss, you probably need some protein supplement to help your body to build up stength as well as replace those dead skin you lost during the illness

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tobys mum on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your suggestions - we've started keeping a timetable of distress/flatulence etc - also just started a v restricted diet of dairy/soya and egg free.

Please keep fingers crossed we see some improvement...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:22 am:

hi toby's mum, just one other idea...it is a good thing that you are doing by making a list of questions/points to raise with the specialists as often you can get sidetracked on other issues and often forget to aske/run out of time. make a few copies of these and give your specialist one of them so that they can always refer back to them if needed. also, keep a food diary of what toby is having along with a record of the reactions e.g. cramping/crying/flatulence and how soon these set in after feeds. again, keep records of this yourself as it allows you to see over time what is happening/ potential other triggers etc etc. keeping diary's is a way of you providing a record of your son's health that can be kept and referred/reviewed back to when needed - and it demonstrates that this is a very serious issue for you when put under their noses!!!. hope it helps, ruth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tobys mum on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

Hello from Toby's mum

Thanks Ruth for your e-mail - this site is so fantastic for the food intolerances - I felt neurotic after reporting to the hospital that Toby had a bad reaction after eating banana (twice running) but after reading other peoples posts I realise that this does happen!

Toby's skin seems to be getting so much better this week - we've been bathing him in dead sea salts - or maybe this is just a coincidence.

We've only had to use protopic once this week - which always makes me feel as though we are getting somewhere.

His flatulence and cramps are still awful - we're seeing our 'local' paediatrician next week if these don't get any better as he is scratching from distress rather than because his skin is bad
And we've had him weighed again today and he's gone back down to the weight he was a month ago - this is such a cause of concern for me.

I've started compiling a list (lengthy!) of things to ask when we finally get our appointment for GOS!

thanks for your support.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ruth on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 01:30 pm:

Hi Toby's mum, i have been reading your posts with great concern and am both happy and relieved that you are getting your boy into seeing a specialist. This is at least a good place to start from. I wonder if his eczema is also somehow linked in with his irritable digestion - may be a point to also raise with the specialist when you see him. It is important to note that whilst foods can be 'bland' they too can also be highly allergic. I think you mentioned in one of your posts that your boy was allergic to egg white??? - often egg white will cause this reaction in the raw state, but when cooked this causes the egg white protein to 'denature' (i.e. it changes its physical structure and because of this it cannot provoke the same reaction that it could in its raw state). this is why people who are 'allergic' to eggs can often eat it in its cooked form e.g. biscuits, cakes etc without any incident/reaction at all. if i have confused your post with someone else's then please forgive me. let us know how you get on.....all the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tobys mum on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

Hi

We're seeing David J Atherton (hopefully) at GOS -I read his book - Eczema in Childhood - the facts - which is fantastic and a great help
It is out of print at the moment but I think will be republished this year

He is a specialist in paediatric dermatology (esp eczema)at GOS.

I didn;t know about their allergy dept closing - typical!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Naminder on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

Toby's mum,
I'm sorry to hear abOut the problems with your son. I really hope you find the strength to cope with what life is throwing at you right now and get some answers.

Would you like some mittened sleepsuits to help Toby at night. They may help to stop him scratching so much. If so, e-mail me at info@eczemavoice.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

Transcend it,
yes, I've heard from a Kinesiologiost [spelling?] that eczema was a yeast aswell, but wasn't sure whether to beleive it or not.

W,
can you explain the protein theory to me again please. Does dry skin and flaking mean the body is not getting enough protien?

Toby's mum,
I really hope you get more positive help from GOS. I read on this site that their allergy dept had closed. Is that right? Does that mean you will see the peadriatrician? My spelling sucks sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tobys mum on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:10 pm:

From Toby's mum

thanks Jen and for all of your messages - I am retrying Toby on probiotics just in case it was some other thing making him ill - we have now changed his milk feed to Omneo comfort which seems to suit him more. If he starts being sick again we'll take him off it immediately.

He has just developed an allergy to baby Nurofen - poor thing. I am terrified he has an anaphylactic reaction to something. His flatulence continues to wake him up (distressed) throughout the night & makes him scratch which is the last thing he needs.

We're now being referred to a specialist at Great Ormond Street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By W on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:01 am:

Hi, Jen:

I am very sorry to hear about Toby's conditions. Toby's weight loss could be due to the losses of protein as eczema can cause dry and peeling skin. Does Toby have dry and flasky skin? If so, it might help to ask your dr for nutrient advive, as he is allergic to chicken, Toby might be protein deficient which may expalin his wight loss. Also using evening primose oil to rub into his skin may help to sooth the itchy. All the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By trandscend_it on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Talking about bacteria, beneficial and not, I was under the impression frm a herbalist that eczema is like a yeast infection on the skin. Taking oil of oregano capsules purifies the blood system but in the process it destroys bacteria. this is good because it destroys harmful bacteria that causes eczema, but the problem is that is also kills beneficial bacteria. To compensate I take chewable acidophilus tablets 3 X daily. This seems to help me, Maybe it will also help Tuby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:33 am:

I'm really sorry Toby's mum, I didn't mean to suggest something that made him sick. My daughter didn't have that reaction. I guess you should stop giving the powder, I don't want to be responsible for making him ill.
From what I understand and I'm not a medic, losing weight like this means he is allergic to something he's still eating, so all I can suggest is going back to your doctor and demanding some answers.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Jen on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:28 am:

I'm really sorry Toby's mum, I didn't mean to suggest something that made him sick. My daughter didn't have that reaction. I guess you should stop giving the powder, I don't want to be responsible for making him ill.
From what I understand and I'm not a medic, losing weight like this means he is allergic to something he's still eating, so all I can suggest is going back to your doctor and demanding some answers.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Tobys mum on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:48 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By tobys mum on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:10 pm:

Jen
Thanks for your reply - we've been trying probiotics (ABC dophilus) but this may be causing him to vomit - have you heard anything that suggests this may be a side effect.

We're going to get a 'reducing substances' test to see whether he has an inability to digest certain foods. So far he has had intolerances to egg, chicken and banana....

By Jen on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 08:13 pm:

Toby's mum,
have you considered using probiotic powder to help increase the 'good' bacteria in the gut. Sounds like your son has cramping stomach pains, like colic. Probiotics might help.

By Toby mum on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:34 pm:

Please help....

My 7 month old baby boy - Toby - has had severe eczema since 2 weeks old.

He is currently 'on' tacrolimus and wet wrapping (not together) - we have had food allergies to banana and chicken - has anyone else reacted to these as the dr's seemed to think these were 'bland' foods.

He has for a long time had a problem with flatulence and 'digesting food' which causes him severe distress and wakes him up regularly thru the night to morning ie screaming followed by a 'fart' - has anyone had this and can any one reccomend anything to help. He is now 7 months and this is getting worse - ie 40 breaking winds in 2 hours a couple of days ago - he didn;t know what to do with himself.

The flatulence does not seem linked to any particular food stuff - and he suffered from this when he was breastfed (up to 5 months) and is still suffering...

We have had RAST tests and a dairy exclusion which show he is not allergic to dairy..

Also despite Toby having a v healthy appetite he has been losing weight for the past 6 weeks - we are v concerned about this as he eats well but guess he must use extra energy in scratching etc

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: