Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Second time around

Second time around

Postby BeccaBB » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm 29 and have severe atopic eczema. The last six months I've had repeated hospital stays due to a staff infection and eczema herpeticum. I've been on steroids and azathioprine since Jan and have had no side effects at all. Dose has slowly gone up- now on 150mg a day but still no effect on my skin. I was on cyclosporine for 6 months last year but they stopped that because it wasn't helping. I've also had 3 years of lights, (UVB and PUVA) twice before so that can't be tried again. When will someone invent a new treatment as nothing is working for me anymore?!

Re: Second time around

Postby Anghela » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I doubt they work but I just want to tell you there is no difference in boob size bteeewn a 32A and a 34A. The number part stands for the size of your ribcage, like how far around your body the bra will go. The A, B, C, etc is the actual size of your boobs.

Postby kgirl47 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm

hi i am quite new to this site so bear with me. you said that you have been on azathioprine for a while with no difference to your eczema there is a fairly new pill they have brought out called toctino it worked really well at clearing up my eczema which i get all over my hands and feet it also affects my nails. i was on it for about 6 months when i decided that the side effects (constant headaches, dihorrhea)i was getting just wasnt worth the hassle but i know of other people who didnt get any side effects at all.

Postby tjena_tjena » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Been on Azathioprine for 3 months, 100mg per day - no side effects, no improvement, no nothing. I think I've been put on a placebo!

Postby Niknak » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 am

Hi guys, am quite new to posting on this board but have been lurking for a while. I'm sorry to hear your struggles, especially since being on Imuran Azathioprine, as I feel it has helped me. I'm six months pregnant and on it which isnt ideal but I really have no other option at the moment short of being hospitalised for the full 9 months on a basic diet and having daily wet wraps :-(
One thing that HAS helped enormously is bleach baths as they keep the staph at bay and if you have them the minute you start getting all scratchy and itchy they soothe immediately and help prevent any more immediate flare ups. At one point I was having them every other day but it beats monthly cycles of oral steroids and antibiotics, which have screwed my system up so much it attacks itself, hence needing the Aza.
The trick is to use about half a cupful of pure bleach (not Lemon, Alpine Fresh fragranced etc) to a full tub of warm, not boiling water, and soak in it for anything from 15 mints to an hour. I tend to wallow in it for ages and usually end up topping with hot water. The longer you stay in, the more the redness, infection and itchyness will subside. Skin is usually really soft after but still have to make sure you moisturise well. If your face is bad soak a flannel in the water and then drape it on your face while your relax in the water. I also use a natural body cream that I buy in bulk of 1kg+ so cheaper as I find the usual supposed eczema-safe creams irritate me as they tend to 'trap' the heat in.
I've found some natural creams that are helping but not sure if you're allowed to post them on here? I dont work for any of them but Pefect Potion double soothe cream is great for taking the heat out and repairing damaged skin from lots of itching. It's made for the body but really helps on the face too, esp when used with their soothe oil. When skin is less inflamed and just cracked/dry pure cold pressed jojoba oil is fantastic, as is Trilogy's co12 serum along with Clinique Supermoist Intense cream or one of the natural butters from Southernskiessoapsupplies. I tend to buy a lot of the natural butters etc in bulk online as they're so expensive to buy from the shops. These, along with a clean diet and stress-free life, do wonders for my skin...but of course life ISNT like that so it's a case of taking time out when you can to get back on track! The bleach baths followed by batural creams are great though, especially when you're a ball or itchy scratchy nerves and can't face the world. I'd love to hear from any of you who try them to see how they work for you :-)

Return to Use of azathioprine