Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Eczema

Re: Eczema

Postby Juan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 am

I'm 21 and I've had eczema my enitre life. It started on my legs and wrists and lower arms then as I got older, it was just on my legs and stayed there. It's a skin condition where your skin dries out VERY easily and gets extremely itchy (like compulsive and uncontrollable, it's like when you start you can't stop). When you itch (almost impossible not to) it causes sores that are slow to heal, causing pain and more itching, therefore more sores. I found that my skin (all over but especially on my legs) is VERY sensitive to many different things (grass, almost every lotion under the sun, tea tree oil, sweat, you name it) that can cause it to flair up. I've been to doctors and dermatologists and I was prescribed emo-cort (basically Cortisone cream but diluted, they usually prescribe it for babies due to their sensitive skin) and I found it just made it sting, then itch. Nothing else doctor prescribed worked. Here's what I did to manage it:*Anything I suggest below is for yur body, NOT for around your eyes. For your face, use an actual intense FACIAL moisturizerWhen my knees got really dry, rough and flaky, I used Johnsons Baby Oil Gel (any drug store) but usually put it on after a bath before bed and wore pj pants because it's kinda greasy, but really works to help the extreme dryness. Didn't cure the eczema but it fixed some of the really rough patches.This was a recent discovery, but I got hives on my arms from a neighbour's plant and bought a bottle of Aveeno Anti-Itch Lotion (meant for bug bites and poison oak/ivy, any drug store or wal-mart has it) and found it worked so well on the itchy hives I used it on my legs. INSTANT relief of the after bath burning and itching. I would scratch in my sleep too so willpower doesn't always work, but I put this stuff on before bed and it wouldn't bother me all night. Smells a little strong from the camphor in it and it's pink from the calamine but IT WORKS. (Don't use near your eyes, camphor is just like menthol eye-wise not fun)When the itching wasn't so bad anymore, I only used the Aveeno lotion for flare-ups, but when I get out of the shower, I put on Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning body lotion with cocoa butter and vitamin E while my legs are still kinda damp.I'm not saying this will cure it by any means, since there is no cure, but I have to say my eczema is GONE, and when I saw gone, I don't mean all the itchiness and dryness are gone but it's under control to the point where I don't have any more sores (open or healing) on my legs and the itchiness is ignorable. I remember the years passing and it getting worse when I had been told that I would grow out of it by the time I was 12, so I'll GLADLY pass on any regimen that works. These products listed above are the only ones I've found to date that don't irritate my legs, and trust me, I've tried A LOT of different lotions in my life.Good luck, hope this helps
Juan

Previous

Return to Sudden dry skin