Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Eye and Lip Eczema

Eye and Lip Eczema

Postby anna_o » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi all,

I've had eczema on my body for most of my life (i'm 23 now), but over the last 4 months it spread to my face. I regularly visited this site for support and it helped me a lot and now my eczema is under control so I thought I'd post a little overview of what helped me, so hopefully it will help you too. For reference, here is a picture of me with my eczema http://s15.postimage.org/rxq5fs14b/photo.jpg and http://s12.postimage.org/hpp6rdexp/photo_1.jpg.

So, like I said before, around 4 months ago all of a sudden the area around my eyes started to swell and pus, and eczema appeared around my lips and neck which constantly burnt. I was referred to a dermatologist who prescribed me with hydrochortizone cream. This cream made it much much worse and blistered my skin around my lips. I also went down the route of natural therapies, which also did not help and often made it worse. At the time of my flare up, I was abroad so I flew home to see my regular GP, who and I followed the below routine (which worked):

Week 1 and 2 - Eumovate ointment - make sure this is the ointment, not the cream. The cream did not work and if anything made it a bit worse. I put this on 2ce a day, once in the morning and once at night. Use this sparingly as it is a Steroid.

Week 3 - Diprobase ointment (again, make sure it is the ointment, not the cream) in the morning, Eumovate ointment at night. I re-applied the Dibrobase as needed.

Week 4 - Dibrobase ointment only, applied as regularly as necessary (and at night I slathered it on)

Week 5, 6, 7 and 8 - I had a flare up again, so upon revisiting my GP I was put on Eumovate ointment for 4 weeks, following the same routine as weeks 1 and 2.

Week 9 - (by this time my eczema had reduced significantly, if it is still visibly red, revisit your GP) - Dibrobase ointment only

Week 10 - this is the hard part. After about a week of being off the Eumovate, my eczema flared up a little bit again. Now, this time I continued with the Dibrobase ointment only in order to ween myself off the Eumovate steroid. It takes a lot of will power but it's worth it.

Weeks 11, 12, 13, 14 - Dibrobase only again.

Weeks 15 onwards - continuing with Dibrobase at night and in the mornings. I am now able to wear makeup without it stinging or burning. I put diprobase ointment on in the mornings at least 30 minutes before I have to apply make up. Then (after moisturising rest of face) I gently dab it off with a piece of tissue paper. This means there is a very thin layer of diprobase still protecting my skin, but it is not too think or oily. I still absolutely lather it on at night.

I have not had any bleaching or skin thinning with the use of Eumovate. The make up I use is Estee Lauder DoubleWear foundation and Olay sensitive moisturiser for non-eczema areas of my face. 4 months after my eczema I look like this - http://s7.postimage.org/rhm7niafv/photo2.jpg

Anyway, I hope the above will help a few of you who read this, but remember, just because it worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. We each have different skin which react to different things, so I would recommend talking to your GP before starting the treatment above.

Finally, please stay strong, it's hard and yes the hurtful comments and looks do get you down but there is hope xxxxx

Return to Facial eczema