Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Re: Shaving

Postby furiana » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:15 am

Cold water helps me a lot! When I use warm water, I get the rash up and down both legs. Cold water reduces or eliminates the rash, depending on how sensitive I am that day.

(FWIW, my eczema is relatively mild.)

Postby brooke » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I currently have both razor burn and eczema on my legs I've found that using mens shaving cream and mens razors work the best but I'm still having irritation. I also have a bunch of scabs all over my legs.. really embarrassing for a teenage cheerleader.. but I just recently tried using Vitiman E oil just like lotion and it seems to be healing my legs.. but I heard not to shave with goosebumps but no matter what temperature, I always have goosebumps.. any help?

Postby Bolsie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 pm

My eczema has always giving me a very hard time. I have tiny scabs and red marks all of my legs. I have tried so many different lotions and creams. My eczema makes me so self conscience. All my friends know and understand but i get made fun of a lot for it, i really need help!

Postby heterozygoues » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:40 pm

you cant shave lol

Postby Neth » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:13 pm

I personally found that shaving oil instead of lot's creams and balms works much better than anything else I've tried. I can't even wash with hot water or my skin cracking and stinging.

My method:
1)apply lotion 10 minutes prior to shaving.
2)gently rub oil drop by drop until it's spread evenly
3)shave with the grain wetting the razor with warm water every few passes.(Don't shave against the grain more than twice a week.)
4)Pat dry (air drying will irritate the skin)
5) use a make-up brush with baby powder to wick up the residue left from the lotion and oil
Pacific shaving oil is around $7 a bottle and pretty high end for the price.

Postby Kristanna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 am

You couldn't pay me to ingroe these posts!

Postby Tessa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:17 pm

You can always tell an expert! Thanks for contirbuting.

Postby Felipe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 am

All that rigmarole and paoparrtien and aftercare is why I switched to an electric razor when I was 18.With a blade, your skin will toughen up eventually, I think. Your face gets oily just because you're an adolescent. The cleansing shaving cream may be washing away all the natural oils that're supposed to keep your face soft as a baby's bottom, and your skin is working overtime to replace them. Or you might have a slight allergy to one of the creams you're using.My vote is for investing in an electric shaver. It will work as well without putting anything on your face (although I use Mennen Lectric shave before and Gillette Gel afterward, just a tiny dab is enough) and it's less likely to scrape your skin like a safety razor blade. They're also much better if you have acne, since they don't scrape, but in that case a self-cleaning, sterilizing razor is best, if more expensive.Meanwhile, welcome to manhood!

Postby Suliman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:13 am

The hubby and I have switched to using an old fshiaoned DE (double edge) razor. I use a vintage lady Gillette razor. We buy the blades online (west coast shaving) or on ebay. 100 blades yes that is a hundred blades cost about $20 shipped. The hubby gets about 4-5 days out of each blade before he replaces it and I am lazy and replace mine after each use just because I don't shave my legs daily or even every other day. Then I make shaving soap and shaving cream that we use an old fshiaoned shaving brush to lather up with. It does take a little bit of an effort to lather up but it's really worth it! Traditional shaving soap or cream is much easier on the pocket book than the stuff that comes in a can and is much better for your skin. The shave is also much better with a DE than a disposable or cartridge razor. 24 hours after the hubby shaves his face is much smoother than 12 hours after he would use an electric razor. So you can see why the electric razor was thrown away.

Postby iusedtohatemyself » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

I'll put my method on there, it might help some of the other gents. It took me a while to work out what worked for me with shaving.

Along with my eczema management routine, shaving comes into it every couple of days (age 28 and I don't grow facial hair very quickly, thankfully) - Shaving is one of those necessary evils because I find if I leave my beard to long, it actually causes itching on my face, chin, cheeks and under my jaw which ends up all flaky, red and inflamed and you know the rest. Shaving often fanned the flames and made things worse before it eventually got better but by then my beard would be growing back and it'd be back to square one.

So, this worked for me;

1. Bath or shower with your usual emollient before your shave. The reason for this is the warm water will soften the hairs on your face, meaning easier for your razor to cut it, meaning less drag on your skin. The difference is very noticeable. I tend to perform half of my E management routine; Hydromol on my body, arms, legs etc and instead of heading for my face and neck start the shaving routine.

2. You have to lubricate your face somehow. I avoid all soaps and anything chemically contacting my skin generally but you can't just dry shave or shave with just water - After extensive product usage I eventually found, surprisingly, Gillette Sensitive was one of the best products for me (not perfect, but pretty good) the key I found is to shave quickly and reduce the time the product is on your face. Step 1 helps with this (softening the hairs)

3. Use a sharp blade. I can't emphasise this enough, its so important to reduce the drag on your skin. I don't use any fancy razors - I buy the basic BIC razors, however I use a fresh one practically every shave so the razor is always dead sharp (cheap enough to do this too, works out at like £1 every couple of weeks). This combined with step 1 and then 2 means that you've got soft hairs, face lubricated and an ultra sharp blade.

4. Shave away, be swift - You need to move to step 5 as soon as possible.

5. Another vital step once you've done with the main shave. Rinse your face now with cold water and ensure your face is completely clear of any product at all (sometimes the BICs can leave a slime behind too, wash this away) Cold water will close your pores and retain any moisture left from your bath / shower, although shaving will dispel most of this... so move to step 6.

6. Now give it 5 mins whilst your face breaths a bit, then continue your normal E management routine that you would on your face, as I said earlier I use Hydromol practically everywhere, even my face and neck. I find that 5 minutes after I've done this my face can get a little 'hot' but after 20 minutes it'll settle down and be fine the rest of the day. If its a cold day, its great to have the window wide open as you're doing this as this will keep you cool!

Hope this helps someone out there. Like I said it took me a while to drill down to this kind of routine and its by no means perfect or will necessarily work for you - but any ideas or advice you could take from this might just help a lot.

Return to Shaving