Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Finger nails suddenly falling off...

Finger nails suddenly falling off...

Postby braejenn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:25 pm

My daughter who is only 5 and 1/2 is losing her finger nails. First time I noticed it was about 1 week ago now. I've racked my brain trying to think if she banged it at all but she and I both are drawing blanks. I've been watching this nail for about a week now and I noticed today her thumb nail on the other hand is now looking like it's starting to lift. I've tried to search this and I am finding nothing...can anyone help?
braejenn

Re: Finger nails suddenly falling off...

Postby alex » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:06 am

Hello

my daughter is only 3 and 1/2 and I realized the same on her! I been searching around too and havent found anything out yet! First she lost one of her toenails and I did the same than you just thinking if she banged it somewhere or not! But now she also lost one of her fingernails the same way and another one seems like to come of too. If you find out anything about it can you let me know!
Thanks Alex
alex

Postby Jessica » Wed May 03, 2006 12:58 am

My daughter is 8 and 1/2 and she has been losing her finger and toe nails for almost two years. I have taken her to the dermatologist and the doctor actually told me that he feels stupid when he looks at my daughter because he can not find out what is wrong with her. Losing her nails is so painful and if anyone knows what it is so I can stop my daughters pain I would be greatful.
Jessica

Postby Peter » Wed May 03, 2006 8:16 am

It could possibly be a yeast infection-yeast spores are also believed to be one cause of eczema. If you key “yeast and fingernails” in the search bar, you will find a number of web sites covering this issue.
Peter

Postby wendy9 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:37 pm

My son had terrible eczema everywhere and in the last week I have been putting Lanacane Anti-itch Maximum Strength cream on him and his eczema is gone, literally I have tried everything! Dont know if this will help but thought I would try
Wendy
wendy9

Postby Christie » Tue May 09, 2006 2:40 am

I'm postive it's yeast!

My son had a problem with his nails also when he was 3 years old, though they did not completely fall off. Due to his poor health even though he was taking a lot of medications, we decided to go "natural." We started giving him Aloe Vera to drink and slowing reduced his medications (anti-histamines, cough syrup, oral steroids) and suddenly his nails started to heal. Before that, his doctor would prescribe antibiotics and creams that didn't help.

After weeks of reading books and searching the Internet, it turns out Aloe Vera is a natural yeast killer. There are other yeast killers; Grapefruit Seed Extract, Oregano Oil, etc. Or your doctor can prescribe Nystatin (which apparently is very safe). Some doctors even recommend cutting out sugar completely it feeds the yeast (but that's hard for kids). While dealing with the yeast, you need to supplement them with Probiotics (good bacteria).

So look into yeast killers and Probiotics. Good luck.
Christie

Postby pamela317 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:20 pm

my daughter has suffered with eczema since she was 3months old. she is now 9, in that time this is the 5th thumb nail she has lost. there has to be some reason why this is happening, if there is any one who can shed light on this matter as gp dosnt see it as anything to worry about
pamela317

Postby Lucy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:24 pm

My son is nearly 4 and 2 weeeks ago we noticed one of his fingernails was loose, after a couple of days it fell off.We thought hed banged it somewhere, but was confused as he never cried and it looked quite painful. Then a couple of days ago we noticed another loose nail. This worried us and we imedietly took him to see the doctor, who to was baffled and has just put it down to a poor diet (has he is finicky and is hell trying to get 5 portions of fruit and veg down him a day). I still am warey about his conclusion, as I am a nursery nurse and I have come across many children who eat hardly anything and whose fingernails are still in tact!
So I am baffled and to would like answers to this mystery??
Lucy

Postby ibbotsor » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm

I have just come across your site- my daugher is 22 months old. 2 months ago she lost her little toe nail. It just fell off but didn't look sore and didn't bother her. She lost her thumb nail about 2 weeks ago which I found odd, I have checked her this week and she has another 3 nails lifting and my GP is at a loss. Any idea's anyone as I am now concerned.
ibbotsor

Postby Traci » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 am

My Five year old lost one nail (starting from the cuticle, peeling up) and just recently we noticed she is now losing another nail. In researching online, I found that a lot of children who experience this are recently diagnosed (sometimes 8-12 weeks past) with Hand, Foot and Mouth. My daughter was diagnosed with Hand Foot and Mouth 2 months ago and the first nail started peeling about 3wks ago. I don't know if this helps....we are taking her to the doc tomorrow as until the pinky finger started falling off I was certain that she had "smashed" the other. :-/
Traci

Next

Return to Losing Fingernails