Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Nickel Sensitivity

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Nickel Sensitivity

Postby penny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:19 am

P.S the CI ingredients are 77492,77489,77499,77491, also mica and cobalt blue. google any ingredients to check if they are mineral based too.
penny

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 am

P.P.S!! I have just re-read one of the e-mails I received from a makeup company and is states that they have even looked at all their competitors ingredient listings and there are no mascara or eyeliners on the market that do not contain oxides and therefore nickel in traces. Oxides are pigments needed to get the dark colours and without them there wouldn't be mascara or liner. The only ingredient that could be used is far too expensive to use. So sorry! good luck!
Penny

Postby Candice M » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:22 am

Thank you Penny.

I'll be contacting my allergist tomorrow since he never mentioned to me the possibility of reacting to iron oxides in makeup, but it does seem fairly hopeless.

I'm very appreciative of your response though
Candice M

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Dear Candice M

I know, although my consultant was lovely when I was diagnosed I wasn't told anything other that makeup was one of the things that was causing my severe flare ups. She could only give me advice that clinique may not contain the CI numbers, so off I went to look at clinique and found it contains all the CI numbers she warned me about!! It has been a frustrating and upsetting 18months trying to source safe makeup and as I have mentioned 100% pure are the only company that make safe foundations,blushers and lip glosses. I recently tried to re-order some foundation and was told by them directly that they were changing manufacturers and wouldn't have resupplies of it until 6 months time!! Yet another upsetting bit of news! I must admit not being able to wear makeup like I used to( and I never wore a huge amount), has been a little liberating but it has taken a long time to feel like this. It was initially hard because my skin was so bad with flare-ups and eczema. I really wish a company would realise there is a market for mineral free products and create them other than 100% Pure to make them more available. I have also got tired with being told my makeup people that mineral products are safe as they are natural, they haven't been aware that minerals contain oxides. It has been a frustrating process and that is why every now and then I check eczema voice to see if I can let someone who was like me 18months ago know a little bit more that I did at that time. Take care and always here if you need advice! :0)
Penny

Postby Candice M » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Penny,

Thank you so much for your responses. I've contacted 100% Pure to ask them specifically about their products. I realize you've suggested them but I just wanted to start a conversation with them.

May I ask which specific products of theirs you've used? Have you tried their mascaras or just concealers/foundations?

Thank you,

Candice
Candice M

Postby Penny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 am

Dear Candice

100% Pure foundations and tinted moisturisers are safe to use, as are the sheer cheek tint and the fruit pigmented lip butters. The face powder, lip sticks and the eyeliner and the mascaras do contain traces of mica and also do say about a shimmer in the foundation powder, lipsticks and certain blushers but unlike other companies it is only small amounts. However for me it is still enough to cause a reaction. I wear the foundation, although at the moment I am wearing the tinted moisturiser, I have eyelash extensions, use their strawberry sheer cheek tint and make my own lip gloss by melting lip balm an mixing with beetroot juice. I have also just started using the activated charcoal as an eyeliner. it has started to cause a little itching but I think this is more to the fact it is very drying. I've been putting an eye brush dabbed in water into it and applying it but will try it with aloe vera gel to see if that less drying. 100% pure offer refund guarantee if products do irritate so you could always try as you may not be so sensitive but just remember the golden rule that if something is dark or if something shimmers it has minerals and oxides in it! Be careful of cards with glitter as glitter contains Mica! I love glitter,especially at Christmas but has become a flare up time!
100% Pure are an American company so e-mail them at night and they will reply asap!
Good luck and please ask for any advice! many , many wishes Penny :0)
Penny

Postby penny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 am

P.s Also a mineral is defined as any solid inorganic substance naturally occurring in the earth or that has to be mined. What I do now, is look at any ingredient listing, whether a CI or just a word that sounds scientific and I google it. For me if it says it's within the earth , or mined, or a particle of, from either, I avoid!! You will become a mineral and oxide bore! I have!!!! Take care! :0)
penny

Postby Ralf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Only try one thing at a time. I would do what the vet said first. 3x a week may be a bit excessive and you could be yrnidg out his skin. The Johnson's baby shampoo is very mild and wont zap the moisture from his skin. Do this for a few weeks, keep him on the same food. If he gets better, then that was the problem. If he gets worse, try changing his food one at a time, leave him on the new food for one week straight and see how he is doing. If he continues to worsen, take him back to the vet, he may have a skin condition requiring a prescription.
Ralf

Postby Madanmohan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:18 pm

So here is a goofy question: How would one go about gtniteg something like this started in our city? I don't believe there is anything around the MPLS/St. Paul area. I believe in this cause so very much and always appreciate the posts from Kelly and all the readers. This is our first time of ever having to worry about food allergies. My son is only 19 months old, and it is hard having to follow him around every where in public to make sure no one shoves a cookie at him (egg and peanut allergies). And I know it is only going to get worse. I feel like pinning a sign on him that reads Don't feed me . Blessings to you all!
Madanmohan

Postby Reallylilly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:36 am

Has anyone received an allergic reaction with high fragrances conditioners like the dove kind? Every time I use it my nose runs and my eyes get very itchy. The only thing I'm allergic to is nickel.
Reallylilly

Previous

Return to Allergies and Diet - General