Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Nickel Sensitivity

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Nickel Sensitivity

Postby Daysia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 am

Brilliance for free; your parents must be a sweetheart and a certifeid genius.
Daysia

Postby Penny » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:25 pm

After 18 months of terrible facial, neck and upper chest eczema outbreaks, flare ups and major reactions, I was diagnosed with severe nickel allergy. 180mg of antihystimines a day, occasional steroids and topical creams continuously, steroid creams and couple of visits to casualty. Went on special diet 6months ago, stopped all makeup and wore cotton gloves initially. Now also having monthly food allergy testing. Devastated about not being able to wear makeup! and general life change but now coming to terms with it.

After 5months research discovered 100% Pure makeup! made with fruit and herbs. Can wear the foundation and cheek blusher. The eyeliners, mascaras, eyeshadows and some of lipsticks contain Mica which obviously although a natural mineral I did react to, as nickel traces in minerals. Otherwise overjoyed!! Just Beauty Direct stock it! Just wish someone had told me.. good luck to everyone who suffers from this allergy! You have my empathy!
Penny

Postby Satchel » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 am

Lenriang a ton from these neat articles.
Satchel

Postby trish clowes » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi my name is Trish and I have a nickel allergy and I am after nikel free jewlery and watch any ideas? I have a heart valve replacement which has pushed me over the top with nickel but the surgeons were told. anyway I have to take nickel out of my everyday life as much as possible can anyone help. thankyou regrds Trish age 53 Oh I had valve replaced because I had rheumatic fever when I was a child.
trish clowes

Postby nats1203 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello,

I have suffered from eczema for a number of years but the last 3 years it has got a lot worse. I had a number of allergy tests carried out and was advised i am severely allergic to nickel and Chromate.

I stopped buying all make up with chromate and chromium oxides. However the problem has not stopped.

All my face swells to the point where i cant see because my eyes are that swollen.

I have been reading on here and someone has said that nickel is in colourants (CI77499, CI77492, CI77491 and CI77489). On make up this is called iron oxides. Does that mean I am allergic to these and should avoid??

Please help, i am desperate!
nats1203

Postby Penny » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Dear Nats1203

yes unfortunately it probably does mean you are allergic to them. Be careful of Mica too and it is also present in glitter and Christmas can be a tricky time and cards with glitter generally. In over a year of research I have not found an eyeliner or mascara that doesnt contain traces. even if not listed as a colourant ingredient (CI).

I have even been making my own lipgloss by melting lip balms and adding pure beetroot juice that you can buy as a food colouring.

Please ask for advice if needed. in my humble way may be able to help and know how awful it is!
Penny

Postby Penny » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:43 pm

P.S! Nats1203

also if there are any ingredients you dont know google them to see if they are mineral based. Be careful of Cobalt too. Basically any makeup that has a shimmer to it will contain minerals and therefore however pure will contain traces of nickel. Also nail varnishes with any colour unfortunately only clear nailvarnish doen't contain the colorant CI's you have listed and all the CI you have asked about you should avoid! So soory to be bearer of bad news!

I have found Oilatum face repair cream only cream in 18months to soothe my itching and swelling too.
Penny

Postby nats1203 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:50 pm

thank you for replying back penny.

I guess its just one of those things you have to live with.

I rung the Allergy uk helpline and found them very helpful too.

Thank you for the help :)
nats1203

Postby Gbutterfly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:14 pm

I have just been diagnosed with a nickel and abitol allergy. The consultant did not tell me much, just to go without underwired bras as I am getting a rash there, but the main other problem is my lips. They look like hell, and I have not worn lipstick or anything of any kind on my lips in a long time, I do however bite my nails. Can anyone tell me if nickel or abitol is in nail polish? I wear a lot of glitter nail polish.
Gbutterfly

Postby Penny » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Dear gbutterfly

yes mica and other nickel colourants will be in nail varnish. the only nickel free nail varnish is clear. when you have an allergy patch test at the allergy clinic the consultant will always ask you if you wear nail varnish and it is one of the standard patch tests that they do. mainly because when you scratch particles of it chip and go onto the skin. google diets for nickel allergy too and you will find foods that are high,low and medium in nickel. Weirdly since my nickel allergy I have also been allergic to wine, balsamic vinegar, pickles and chillies and my allergy reaction has ended up on my lips when it began around my eyes! I have to moisture them constantly and also make as I have mentioned my own lip gloss out of natural beetroot juice and melted lip balms!
Best wishes
Penny

PreviousNext

Return to Allergies and Diet - General