Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Allergy Testing

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Allergy Testing

Postby MICHELLE » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:25 pm

HI I HAVE HAD ECZEMA ALL MY LIFE AND FIND THAT NOTHING HELPS IT AT ALL .IT HAS GONE THROUGHT DIFFERENT STAGES FROM CHILDHOOD THROUGHT TO ADULT .AS A CHILD IT WAS VERY DRY AND WOULD CRACK AS AN ADULT IT GETS INFECTED ALOT AND I GET OPEN SORES WHICH TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO HEAL UP TO A YEAR.I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ALLERGY TESTING AND WOULD LIKE TO .BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS AND HOW HELPFULL THE DOCTOR WOULD BE.IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE VERY GRAETFULL

THANK YOU
MICHELLE

Postby sarahm » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:34 pm

An allergy test only takes about 5 minutes and basically tells you what you should avoid. It wasn't untill i had mine that I realised my skin didn't like me eating fish, and since i had a tuna sandwich at least three time a week this explained alot. Just pop along to your doctor. It's well worth it. Why pay out for all these expensive creams when you could cut down your symptoms by simply changing something you eat or wash with.

Good Luck!
sarahm

Postby Rachel » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:41 pm

I had eczema as a child but it disappeared when i reached puberty. Now at 30 it has reappeared - particulary badly on my face and also over my stomach . I know I have allergies and that these are the causes but I have cut out so many things from my diet already, I don't know what else to elliminate. These allergies also effect mt digestion and cause bloating. My doctor won't refer me to an allergy specialst - he wants me to see a gastroentorologist instead, even though i know all my problems are to do with allergies. HELP!
Rachel

Postby ChrisC » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:27 pm

Hi Rachel
Have you tried a herbalist yet? (I seem to rant on about the one I went to see, but it has helped).
You mentioned digestion problems, I was given a fews tips and ideas.
1. Start your day with a not so nutricious or tasty drink.
Its basically 2 tsp of organic cider vinegar
1 tsp of organic honey
In a cup half filled with warm water. And enjoy.
Apparently it starts the gut working properly.
2. Take a bunch of parsley, chop it roughly, put in a bowl and pour boiling water on top. Crush it further with the back of a spoon. Let it cool, strain and drink the tea.
3. Drink camomille tea (excuse spelling), its supposed to be very good for the gut and digestion.
4. This is something I've just thought of. You can get bottles of pure aloe vera juice, an acquired taste but I imagine it wont do any harm.
The herbalist I went to was able to tell me what foods I was allergic to (aswell as being allergic to concrete floors). You should have a look on the diet/allergies section of the website, I have explained a simple test that can help you find out what your body is weak against and there are a lot of other peoples opinions and advice.
I hope that you give the drinks a try, I found that it was much better for my stomach than the coffee that I shouldn't have been drinkin.
Cheers.
ChrisC

Postby MARKY » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:28 pm

I RECOMMEND CUTTING OUT DAIRY, EGGS , DUST AND ONLY VERY MINIMAL, IDEALLY ZERO, ALCOHOL......
MIGHT CUT OUT WHEAT/YEAST BUT HAVENT SYSTEMATICALLY DONE SO

I HAVE FOUNDS STRONG LONG-TERM STEEOIDS DAMAGED MY SKIN...NEVER PUT THEM ON THE FACE....

I FOUND CHINESE HERBALISM,epo for scratching, DEAD SEA SALTS, HOMEOPATHY, SOMETIMES ACUPUNCTURE, AND CERTAINLY LIONG SUNNY, BEACH HOLIDAYS IN HOT CLIMATES HELP.....O, AND GETTING SUFFICIENT SLEEP, EXERCISE AND SOMEHOW, IF POSSIBLE REDUCING STRESS, improve things......STRESS ABOUT THE CONDITION CREATES THE VICIOUS CYCLE....HINK OF YOUR BODY AS A CLEAR POOL THAT GETS EASILY POLLUTED WHEN IT EXPERIENCES THE WRONG THINGS
any advice on sorting out thickened red and steroid damaged hands welcome.....thanks....
MARKY

Postby yin » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:33 am

Hi!I'm a 25 yr old gal with bad case of eczema which appears horribly on my back and face! It flares up and at times it doesn't. Does anyone knows wat kinda test can determine wat i'm allergic to?My doc has recommended a patch test?Is it accurate?N some friends of mine have recommended me to see an Immunologist instead...has anyone seen one yet?
yin

Postby K.Goff » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:12 pm

I have worked at General Nutrition Center and found that a few recent studies have proven coffee to be one cause of irratation of eczema. Do you guys agree?
K.Goff

Postby Kez » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:54 pm

I think it may be the Caffine in the coffee,tea or Coke/Cola etc. My son cant tolerate this.
Kez

Postby Sarah » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:45 pm

Is there any allergy testing reliable for infants? - I see from posts below that RAST isn't. My 9 month old son has had eczema all over his body since birth - when he was breast-fed and since being weaned as well. He's not getting any dairy (he's on soy formula) but soy is a common allergen too, I hear. I'm considering eliminating wheat next, but it would be good if there was a test so we could avoid all this 'trial and error' stuff.

Thanks, Sarah
Sarah

Postby Eczemadad » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:50 am

Allergy tests typically aren't able to identify many sensitivities at such an early age. Some believe that if there is an allergy or sensitivity at this age it is more likely genetically distributed as opposed to the body having enough time to develop a resistance.

Another ezcema "Theory" I've heard mentioned in the past was described as "leaky gut" syndrome. Basically, the small intestines aren't fully developed and/or highly irritated resulting in small food particles escaping into the blood stream. Therefore, it's possible to be allergic/sensitive to dairy when your child is on dairy based formula and allergic/sensitive to soy when on soy based formula, etc. The solution basically is to allow time for the digestive process to heal. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to determine what is irritating it. There are natural digestive enzymes that are supposed to help with the healing process but I don't know about a child of this age. Obviously, discuss with physician or dietician.
Eczemadad

PreviousNext

Return to Allergies and Diet - General