Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Smoking

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Smoking

Postby Rebecca » Sun Jan 13, 2002 4:15 pm

My 18 year old daughter developed Eczema this summer, about the same time she started smoking.......... I have suggested to her that there may be a relation here, and have strongly urged her to stop smoking........ Have you heard of cigarette smoking as a trigger fro eczema?

Rebecca Wilson
Rebecca

Re: Smoking

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:32 am

Rebecca

I used to smoke years ago and it certainly didn't help my eczema, especially on the fingers where I held my cigarettes. Even now when I have a flare-up, these fingers still seem to get worse. Whether this is due to the smoking or not I don't know.
Anonymous

Postby Madam Flaky » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:38 am

Funny, I quit smoking and that was when the eczema got really bad. I started up again to try to suppress my appetite as it was all food related, and the eczema calmed down. THen again, when I quit it was sudden. This time around I am going it reeeeeallllly slllloooow. I'm not silly!
Madam Flaky

Postby Peachy » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:55 pm

tell you what, Madame Flaky, I bet your eczema got bad on quitting smoking because you got so stressed with the whole giving-up thang! Just a thought . . .

If you want an appetite suppressant, why not drink water to fill you up instead of having a fag (said the woman who drinks 2 litres a day, smokes like a chimney and STILL has poor skin!) lol

Good luck
Peachy

Postby Madam Flaky » Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:25 am

Thanks Peachy! This time around I'm just going it slow. If you have a volatile condition that is prone to flare-ups due to stress, then quitting smoking is one thing you want to handle with kid gloves! I do drink heaps of water, and luckily now my diet is much more friendly to me! I can eat quite alot more things than I could when I quit last year. Maybe that will not be altogether such a good thing when I quit again. Hmmmmm, may have to rethink my options! hee hee

Take care!
Madam Flaky

Postby Peachy » Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:40 am

Good luck Madam Flaky! Thinking of you. I woke up this morning after a smokey-drinky night with some friends and decided enough was enough, quit the fags. So what did I do in a moment of weakness on the way to work? Bought another pack. DOH! Get a grip girl!!! lol I think I'll see if I can make one pack last the week. There's a challenge!!

Good luck and let me know how you get on
Peachy

Postby Madam Flaky » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:40 am

Good luck to you too, peachy. Just take it slow and don't force yourself. Try not to upset your body chemistry too much. Baby steps.....
Madam Flaky

Postby Peachy » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:14 pm

Hi Madam Flaky, I shall take it a day at a time and just cut down slowly, I think. Hope all's going well with you - how's the skin? I'm a bit dry and flaky but not too bad.
Peachy

Postby Madam Flaky » Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:01 am

Hi Peachy. Good for you.... the cutting down quitting thing I mean.... Well, I'm good right now actually. Have been for a while. I have my close calls, but because my eczema was caused by food allergies, now it's just a matter of staying on top of those allergies and jumping into action when something reacts to avoid a flare up. I hope not everybody thinks I'm a fake to be on this forum just because my skin is clear right now. The fact is, the skin is clear, yes, but the wounds run very deep here. I still choke up when I think or talk about it and still freak out when I react to something. Hell on earth, isn't it?
Madam Flaky

Postby Peachy » Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:08 am

Don't be daft Madam Flaky, of course you're not a fake - we all have good times and bad times. I'm just really pleased to hear that you're on the up at the moment and that you're managing to work out your food allergies. Brilliant news. I know what you mean though - some mornings I wake up and before I look in the mirror I just know my skin will be a disaster. When that happens I get really up-tight and antsy and I think that just makes it worse, being wound-up and stressed. Nightmare situation!

Take care toots.
Peachy

Next

Return to Allergies and Diet - General