Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Smoking

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Smoking

Postby Lubo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:07 am

Hello, I QUIT SMOKING AND IT "HEALED" MY ECZEMA COMPLETELY. It works 100% in my case. When I start smoking again, the eczema comes back. Quit smoking! It's shit...
Lubo

Postby angry mama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:27 am

So my son has eczema. He is 20 months old. Neither his father or I smoke, but we live with my mother in law and brother in law who both smoke. We moved in with them right before I got pregnant, and my son has lived with them his entire life. He has had skin problems and eczema his entire life as well. I have tried absolutely everything under the sun! Just recently I was thinking about what is different during the times of his breakouts. When I am not working, such as weekends, his skin is crystal clear. When I am at work and he is home with his grandmother (my mother in law) he gets breakouts. Do you think it is because he is around the smoke and the smoke on her clothes?
angry mama

Postby bluey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 am

Angry mama

Yes. If not the 'cause' it will be a massive contributor to flare ups. He's most probably sensitive to it and although the effect you are seeing is on the skin on the outside of his body, he is passive smoking and it will be damaging his insides and his organs. Best thing you can do for your babies health is move, especially if they are smoking in the house. Good luck.
bluey

Postby Angry mama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Thank you! Thankfully they are not smoking inside the house, but they do smoke outside and then it is still on their clothes, hands, ect. I am in a bit of a tough situation because I am not sure how to bring up the fact that we should move. My boyfriend is VERY close with his family and all of them smoke! (Aside from him). I am not sure how exactly I should go about telling him we need to move without a fight occurring. Do you think by going to my sons doctor and the doctor telling us that the smoke is in fact what is making it worse that he could do some sort of note or write up?
Angry mama

Postby jeffrey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi,

I've had Eczema, asthma and allergies since birth. Tried a lot of stuff, and only when I was 16 I grew out of it. But then I went to Uni and a bad lifestyle - alcohol, & bad food triggered it. I have the rough flare ups etc. like everyone has stated. But honestly the key to staying healthy, and allergy free is; keeping your immune system strong; Vitamins , especially C, D, A and take Omega & Cod Liver capsules. Eat fruit and a lot of water all the time, and I promise even in the winter, it will be completely under control. You may have the odd flare up. Also Yoga and exercising regularly will help. If you do all the above then you will not suffer. These things are good anyway, so don't think you are different, even people without our problems live a lifestyle like this and you're problems will be solved.
I hope this helps.
jeffrey

Postby Genevieve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for sharing. What a pelasrue to read!
Genevieve

Postby jackdcosta56 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 am

Well, cigarette smoking is no doubt bad for health. And if it becomes and urgency and no efforts are helping you to give it up. I suggest, try the e cigarette. I helps without even letting you fell that you are giving up smoking.
jackdcosta56

Postby Reuben » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Hey guys ive never had eczema till last year early february i started to picked up smoking. That point of time i was at the age of 15 and so i slowly became heavy smoker. At the end of last year which is near december, i've been told by a doctor i had eczema which apparently was only on my arms. Having told that i carry on to smoking. Then this year early march , i had a big flare up which was very bad and had to be admitted for almost 5 days without and smoking which the treatment was on steroids and medicines too. Which got me so much happier then before till i pick up back on my smoking and it had gotten worst. But for now im cutting down on the ciggerate , prob everyday i only have a stick and it helps only abit. But there are times i dont smoke for a day and it gets me triggered a little... I dont know what to do...

Eczema had never been a big factor to me till now with the current situation im in...And also i play computer games prob my whole life is on to the comp coz i dont go out knowing how ugly i look. I really dont know what to do but what i will be sure to do now is to quit my smoking totally and will update the result in a week time.

To everybody out there, Do not give up ! I'm saying this because there are times i feel like suciding and feeling like ive been cursed to exsist in this world... but coming to think of its just an eczema. I guess mostly all of us dont really have a healthy lifestyle and i heard it helps alot. So i guess i gotta sacrifice and fight this eczema! Good luck all !
Reuben

Postby Lubo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Hello. Another cause of eczema & asthma could be HISTAMINE INTOLERANCE. Google it and get tested. It's a "pseudo allergy" and it can be treated with diet and also with pills.
Lubo

Postby CanAm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

The problem is that you cienodsr yourself as a smoker not a non smoker . Don't know how long you've been addicted but it can be so hard to adjust to a non smoking attitude. I know so many people who have told me that its easy, just stop. Unfortunately some of us DON'T find it that easy. There is always an excuse to put off quitting. Try to look at your mental picture of yourself and see you without ciggies in different situations. Then think of ways you could cope/deal with things without the automatic reach for the packet.It may take a few weeks but give it a try. If you need support look at my profile and email me. I'm struggling too but finding i smoke less as i keep on with the above method. No longer terrified of being without and that is a good start.
CanAm

PreviousNext

Return to Allergies and Diet - General