Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Hayfever

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Hayfever

Postby liyah » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:47 pm

I know exactly how u feel cause I have eczema and its very bad on my legs. I get so emotional when summer come around and i cant wear short.
liyah

Postby chrissie86 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:22 am

I was told I'd grow out of my asthma, eczema and hayfever. I'm now 23 and still suffering with all 3! I've definitely noticed that when one calms down the others flare up, like now that my asthma's under control, the eczema has become unbearable, it's so bad on the back of my legs so I totally get your distress because I love wearing shorts and skirts and it just knocks your confidence completely. Doctors are just useless! They tell me to try one cream after the other, and make me feel like it's my fault that this is happening to me, most things I've actually learnt through trial and error like the fact that it's triggered when I have too much dairy, and also grass. And I went into Boots this morning and the pharmacist actually told me not to use anything but a moisturiser on it, I almost screamed at her when I argued that that would only make it worse! She gave me this cream called Eurax which I'm hoping will clear up the little flare up on my neck but it's so severe on my legs I'm not sure it's work tbh
chrissie86

Postby djiasdjia » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:59 am

Hey, I think this blog has stopped by now. However I just wanted to say that I have had eczema since I was born and during the recent two years it was when it was the worst. I had it on my arms, legs, neck and most importantly, my face. Lost sleep over it, couldn't shower, skipped school etc. I am much better now but if anyone wants to talk about it, feel free to email me. God bless.
djiasdjia

Postby Debbie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am

Formula Feeding/Breast feeding midelma (no lectures please) Not sure what to do? What are some options?Okay I'm pretty set on formula feeding. But there is also that feeling (well I'll admit I have friends trying to guilt me into breast feeding)They tell me she will be healthier, smarter, and have a better start. But I know kids who were both breast fed and formula fed and I don't see a difference really in health (other than genetics. I don't see a difference in intelligence, though I ve known both breast fed kids and formula fed kids that had the common sense of a rock and weren't that bright.Personally I have a health concern that I feel that if I breastfed it could hurt her. But I only deal with that about 2 months out of the year. Not every year but quite a few. I'm put on major allergy medicines, steriods, sometimes antibiotics to wipe it out. Sometimes it clears up in a week, sometimes it takes 2 months. Last year I was sick for the entire spring the year before as well. (Its all allergy related) And being that I am allergic to a lot of medicine I'm afraid to breastfeed during all that. Now she is being born Mid February and last year March is when that whole mess started for me. I'm praying this year I avoid it all together. Because I have to use different meds each time, some work one year some don't the next.Part of me feels maybe I should try and breast feed for a few weeks and then switch to formula. I wouldn't actually be breastfeeding though, I would pump and give it to her in a bottle. I am not comfortable with breastfeeding, same reason my mom and grandma didn't breastfeed.Maybe it would be better for her if I just started her on Formula. We are all pretty much lacose intolerant in our family. There have been a lot of cholicky babies too that had to go off breast milk and onto a special formula. Personally every woman in my family suffers from IBS and my sis was the youngest to be diagnosed at 11 years old. Theres crohns disease and we have one person (My grandfather who is gluten intolerant and has Celiacs and they thought all these years he was just lactose intolerant)This is something I know I have to discuss with my doctor, but I almost wonder if it would be best to put her on a special formula from the start.I also heard though that breastmilk even for a little while would reduce her risk for crohns and IBS. Even with her family history. Is this true?What are your thoughts on this? I mean I probably won't make a decision until the day she is born but part of me thinks maybe I should give her breast milk as long as I can and then switch to formula ..but part of me feels it may be best to just start with formula.What would you do? What would you suggest?ADD: This has really been weighing on me the last few months. I think I know what I want to do but what if what I want to do isn't best for her? (either way)Anyways I keep going back and forth in my mind over thisI would do anything to prevent her from having this problem, but obviously its genetic and I can find no concrete evidence that it does prevent this illnessI don't really want to breastfeed but if it gives her a chance of not getting IBS or Crohns (which is an awful thing to have by the way, I suffer from IBS terribly) then it would be worth it.Even if I could only do it that way for a short time, that could improve her chances of not developing it. Then I would do it.again if I knew for a fact that it could prevent her from having IBS or crohns I would bf in a heartbeat ..but if it doesn't then I think whats the point.Again I have been told that it can reduce the chances does anyone know if that is correct?Because IBS, Crohns, Celiacs is awful. Some worse than others, I'm thankful I only have IBS but it sucks
Debbie

Postby Jose » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 am

it did but it wasnt posted anyrwehe so here goes a 2nd tryI am open to all types of criticism except the breastfeeding is best one. My son might or might not have a slight allergy to milk (he threw up blood on a milk based formula- however now they believe that was due to the severe case of Acid Reflux that he has, not any intolerance to milk). We had put him back on Soy from Alimentum, and he is doing really well with it barely spitting up. However, the doctor said that many people do not like putting babies on Soy formula anymore and that she wants him to try Nutramigin first (he still spits up too much on the alimentum even though we are thickening his formula with rice cereal for the reflux) and then maybe in 6 months try a milk based to see how he does. Because of the reflux he has been through so many formulas and I think he tolerates the soy the best, however she is reluctant to it.I was wondering what people have seen as negatives and positives of soy formula and their experiences with the Soy, Nutramigin or Alimentum? Also, in your opinion, what do you think I should do? I figured getting people's opinions on Soy would be a good method of research (as well as my own research on credible sources of the pros and cons of soy, as i do not know much about Soy in the first place).As of right now, he is currently taking anyrwehe from 3 to 4 ounces of Soy formula with 2 tablespoons of rice cereal in a 4 ounce bottle. No that is not too much cereal, it is just enough to keep it down- like i said, the reflux is severe.And please, no breastfeeding is best comments, he was breastfed for 3 weeks until I had to start taking medicine and they were under the impression he had a milk allergy to the dairy i was eating, again turned out to be the reflux.
Jose

Postby sufferer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 am

I don't know about soy...but was told to drink goat's milk growing up...it's also the only type of soap I use. Unscented of course.
sufferer

Previous

Return to Allergies and Diet - General