Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Make-up

For discussions that are not covered by any of the above headings

Re: Make-up

Postby rashqueen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 am

steph,

you should try thinking about what your hands touch - for example do you ever wear rubber gloves? Be careful using soap, try using alternative products such as Cetaphil that are designed for people with skin problems. Make sure you moisturise regularly, talk to your doctor and see if he can prescribe you some good moisturisers - you don't want anything with fragrance or colour. I would also advise you to see if your parents can take you to a naturopath, i know of many people who had problems like yours sorted out when they were young by naturopaths. Some of them can do special hair allergy testing. They are better than regular doctors for things like this because they try and stop it from happening in the first place instead of just making it go away for a little while, when it will just come back later and will be harder to treat by then.

I know what you mean, I'm 22 and on a bad day I look 42!

Good luck
rashqueen

Postby aussie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:13 am

i have been struggling with eczema around my eyes for the past six months, ever since i started working full time and needed to wear make-up a lot. i used 1% cortizone cream (from dermatologist) about twice a day for about 1 month, without any lasting result. i could feel the skin under my eyes getting thinner and was noticing wrinkles there for the first time (i'm 21) but i thought this was part of the eczema. after reading about it last week i decided to stop the cortizone at once - my eyes got so bad i had to wear sunglasses at work. since then i have tried alovera and vaseline. the alovera stung way too much to use, but the vaseline seems to be working really well - it is soothing and better than the cortizone. i applyed it every few hours for one weekend and it completely cleared up the eczema in just 2 days.

BUT.. i have to wear makeup to work and using concealer, eye liner and makeup remover keeps aggrevating the eczema every day, so i have been applying vasaline at night. this is working well at keeping the eczema at bay and the wrinkles and thinness of my skin is much less noticible in just the last 5 days.

Can anyone reccomend make-up that does not cause this aggrevation? especially makeup remover. i was origionally using maybelline, and i think it was their concealer that set off the eczema. in the past several months i have also tried natio, body shop and estee lauder. i have heard that clinique is good for being hypoallergenic, but i had an allergic reaction to their toner a few years ago. i am in australia..

thanks for any help :)
aussie

Postby Caperucita_roja » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi 'aussie' - I also suffer from eczema around my eyes (amongst other places, it seemsto be slowly taking me over at the moment). And I'm 21, studying at uni and working so wearing makeup more than my skin would like. To remove eye makeup I use sweet almond oil from akamuti.co.uk. It's really gentle as only one ingredient, and I often use it to remove foundation etc too. They only ship to uk and Europe, but it might be worth seeing if you can find something similar where you are. The main makeup brands I use are sante and lavera - all natural, never anything like mac, maybelline etc. Sorry i can't be of more help, I can only really refer you to uk places! But I do know what it's like to be in your twenties and just want to be 'normal'. Best of luck x x
Caperucita_roja

Postby Jillie05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 am

I have just done a goodle search on 'itchy eyelids' and this topic came up as one of my results.

I am currently sitting here wanting to scratch my upper eyelids off! I am trying to find a paraben free cream to relieve the symptoms. So far I have been just using vaseline.

I suffer with psoriasis on other parts of my body, not in a major way, just small patches on my head, elbows and knees. I have suffered from this since I was 12, I am now 38! About 5 years ago I started to get really itchy upper eyelids, they would itch and puff up so much I had to take time off work. I had skin allergy testing and it turns out I am now allergic to parabens. I never had a problem with these, but I think I may have overloaded with expensive creams containing parabens over the years and my skin just had enough. So I now use either one of a couple of brands. Dr Hauschka or Claudalie, Dr Hauschka has a huge range, which includes skin creams/cleansers for different skin types, shampoo and conditioner, make up and sunscreen; I love thier rose face cream. (both these brands have websites and you can buy online) Although I have found that as long as I don't use any face creams/cleansers etc that contain parabens I can get away with regular make up as long as I wash it off when I get home, I just use a little foundation on my eyelids and liquid liner, I don't often use eyeshadow, if I do I find MAC ones ok. Can't use Chanel, that has got to be one of the worst, Clinique is also terrible for anyone with dry skin.

Oh forgot to add, that if you have long hair be very careful of your shampoo, I have tried a few paraben free shampoos but don't like the way they make my hair feel, so try to stick to the ones that contain the least parabens. I used to love Kerastase shampoo, but it contains so many parabens and now if I use it my eyes really flare up. Fabric conditioner is another one, I don't use it on my pillows now as that can make my eyes go!

Oh and I think someone mentioned rubber, when I had my allergy testing I also found out I was alleric to rubber, if I don't wash my hands after wearing my rubber gloves washing up and touch my eyes, the itching starts almost straight away.

So I would just suggest, paraben free everything for your face, wash your hands regularly with paraben free soap, and vaseline when you can as this will form a protective barrier.

I hope this helps some of you, I'm now off to find my vaseline!
Jillie05

Postby Jillie05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 am

Dr Hauschka in Australia! drhauschka.com.au
Jillie05

Postby Jillie05 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am

Just one more post! It is actually Caudalie, not Claudalie!! I have googled it on google.com.au and there are a few places that sell it.
Jillie05

Postby natasha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 am

I have suffered from atopic eczema all my life. I am 27 now. I used to use steroid creams. However now I use neutrogena face cream for dry skin and eumocream which is brillant for dryness on the eyelid and around the eyes and instead of using steroids I now use eumocream which is abosulety safe to use around the eye area. I would recommend this cream to anyone with eczema, its really brillant. It has literally saved my skin. You can purchase it from most Boots stores.
natasha

Postby Blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Hey all.
Can anyone suggest any cleansing wipes to remove my make up. I currently use 'Simple' wipes, but just wondeered if there was anything better as i have bad facial eczema???
Blue

Postby Patricia Flint » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:55 am

Help!!! I have been using make up since I started working because my skin is really pale. Then, just yesterday, I started getting these rashes on my face! Is face eczema possible? I thought only babies had eczema in face!!!

Anyway, I went over this website at goodbyeeczema.com/eczema-in-face/ and it doesn't specifically say that make-up can cause eczema in face. But I do believe that what I really have is eczema.

Can anyone in here help me? I really have no time to have myself checked by a dermatologist. I'm so swamped with work and household chores *sob*
Patricia Flint

Postby eczema » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:33 am

hey everyone. i know just how much it sucks to have eczema. i used to have eczema as a toddler but after that my skin was normal. and then just this year, my face started to get extremely dry and itchy, particularly around the eyes. id go to school with flare ups and people would just stare at me. i lost all confidence and would even cry about it now and then. but thankfully its gotten a lt better now. i went to a dermatologist and he told me to stop using makeup (atleast until my skin heals). he also told me to use this cream called 'Avene trixera emollient cream'. along with that i also started taking antihistamines one in the day and the other at night. my eczema has cleared up alot! and i hardly get flare ups. and also make sure u get sleep and arent stressed and avoid certain foods. Eg. coffee makes me itch like crazy and also get an allergy test done so u can avoid the trigger. but id have to say definitley give antihistamines a go. they saved my life
eczema

PreviousNext

Return to Allergies and Diet - General