Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Tips for breaking the itch cycle

Tips for breaking the itch cycle

Postby RobynTamaraKelly » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:50 pm

My daughter suffers from sever eczema, we have tried many things but nothing works, if anyone could share their tips. They may work for her.
RobynTamaraKelly

Re: Tips for breaking the itch cycle

Postby crystallyons » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:26 am

bath with oatmeal and put oatmeal in a facecloth and rub on itchy spots
crystallyons

Postby Nicole » Wed May 17, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi i also have the condition since pretty much birth and what i have found useful when it is bad is pinetarsol oil bath, twice a day if bad and antihistamine pills i usually have 50mg of phenegan to knock me out so i have a good night sleep, ask your doctor for antihistamine tabs for children and you can get it over the counter, Im not sure how old your child is but recently i should have gone to the doctor because im sure i had a secondary infection my skin was so sore i couldnt shower or bathe that day so usually if it is that bad i have a panadol and then have a bathe and i moisturise every time i think of it because it is a good preventer, And drink plenty of water because it flushes out the toxins and helps maintain moisture in the skin
Nicole

Postby diana » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:30 pm

has anyone heard of a clicker which you use to make you realise when you are itching?
diana

Postby missy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Yeah, the clicker is mentioned in Sue Armstrong-Brown's book "The Eczema Solution". The clicker is used to keep count of times you itch in a day.
missy

Postby harrison8bal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Here's what I've got from experience.

Getting out of that itch cycle ultimately requires killing those itches as soon as they come.

I find 3 ways to be the best at doing this (at least for me):

1) Slapping myself on the affected area really hard (because pain relieves itch).

2) Press an ice pack over the spot so the nerves get "frozen" and stop.

3) Use some natural and organic topical remedies e.g. chickweed gel (I find this extremely effective - kills the itch under 60 seconds).

Just my 2 cents :)
I'm Harrison and I once suffered from eczema for 10 years but I cured it in 2013. Currently writing a book on it. For now, grab your eBook on 10 Eczema Questions You've Always Want Answered Truthfully (free PDF) e.g. does eczema have a cure?
harrison8bal

Postby eczemafree » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:53 pm

I used to have really bad eczema and the itchiness kept me up at night!

What I found temporarily works for the itchiness:

-cold showers to numb the area
-a mixture of 3 tbsp coconut oil + 1-2 small drops tea tree oil ( tea tree oil is an antiseptic and also helps lessen the burning and itchiness. Coconut oil reduces the inflammation)
-cutting your nails so you're not tempted to scratch!

If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you might want to consider things in your daughter's diet that may be affecting her eczema. I used to have really bad infected eczema ever since I was a kid, and I was only able to get rid of it after I started a 30 day program that helped me to find out what my "eczema triggers" were in my life. I found out that foods like gluten and dairy really made my eczema flare up and caused bad breakouts. After two weeks into the program and eliminating my "triggers" my skin finally was able to heal! It could be other things for your daughter, but it pays to at least try and find out!

Good luck!
How I cured my eczema in JUST 30 days: http://www.flawlessprogram.com
eczemafree

Return to Is there any link between summer/more sun and reduction in severity of aoptic eczema symptoms?