Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Mousturizing Creams, Steroid Creams and Allergy Patch-Testing

Mousturizing Creams, Steroid Creams and Allergy Patch-Testing

Postby sprayboy505 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:29 am

I have had eczema for 4 years now. It started on the shins. I used a steroid cream, and it took the dry, itchy skin away. It left a white spot on my shins, which I wasnt too happy about (the concentration of the steroid caused it), but in time that went away. Since then its moved to my toes, my hands, my elbows, my heels, fingers, wrists, etc. I can tell you that no amount of moisturizing cream will help your eczema. Afer years of trying, honestly, about 25 different low-steroid and moisturizing creams, none of them have worked.

What I recommend if you really want to get rid of the eczema is a high-steroid cream. It will take around 2 weeks for the eczema to be gone whilst using the cream. The reason my skin turned a shade lighter was because I had been using the steroid cream way after i was supposed to stop.

Steroid creams present a problem though. If you really want it to work, you have to follow the prescription religiously. Twice a day for two weeks. You cant miss applying it, or say "Oh, I'll just do it another time" because otherwise it will not work.

Something even BETTER that I recommend getting done, although it can be fairly expensive if you do not have medical insurance, is allergy patch-testing. I just recently had mine done, and after all these years I found out that I had been allergic to rubber (especially the rubber in shoes, mousepads, the handles of toothbrushes, any rubber i touch with my hands). The testing consists of having several patches on your back (it covers the majority of it) for two days. The dermatologist then removes the patches and outlines them with permanent marker so you dont have to keep the patches on the whole time. Later the dermatologist studies the affects the patches had on the skin and draws conclusions from the state of the skin wether you are allergic or not. Each patch contains an environmental product that you would encounter on any regular day.

You cannot wet your back for five days (the length of the testing) so you will have to sponge-bath yourself instead of taking a shower. You cannot sweat either, so sports is out of the question, but hey its only five days, you'll live, and plus you'll know the source of your eczema: that will help tremendously.

Today I went out and got two pairs of all-leather shoes (no rubber), switched my toothbrush to a non-rubber handle, and will avoid rubber as much as possible in my daily activites. I can already feel it helping.

If you want to know more, e-mail me at sprayboy505@netscape.net
sprayboy505

Re: Mousturizing Creams, Steroid Creams and Allergy Patch-Testing

Postby nanc2308 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:33 pm

I've also wanted to have an allergy test done and I really don't think that will help. I already stay away from rubber and I also have hay feaver and so I know that i'm allergic to dust mites and pet dander so I stay away from that. But your diet also affects I don't know how effective the allergy patch test is. Also I really wish i had read more about steroid creams sooner.. I wouldn't have the wrinkled thin skin I have now. I really want to stay away from steroids. It's horrible. And in regards to the moisturizing I agree. I can't seem to make my eczema go away unless I use the steroid creams.
nanc2308

Postby Carlos » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

photoshop (via Vernysanchez2012 s Blog) Posted on Septiembre 23, 2010 by vernysanchez2012 Adobe Photoshop is a chgprias editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems. Adobe's 2003 Creative Suite rebrandinga0led to Adobe Photoshop 8's renaming to Adobe Photoshop CS. Thus, Adobe Photoshop CS5 is the 12th major releasea0of Adobe Photoshop. The CS rebranding also resulted in Adobe offering numerous software packages containing multiple Adobe programs for a reduced price. There are two versions of Photoshop: Basic and Extended, Read More
Carlos

Postby Payu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Best eye cream for 18 yr old?I'm looking for a staandrd sort of eye cream that is anti-aging. Something you can buy from the drug store, nothing too terribly fancy. Most of the eye creams that I've read reviews on from MakeUpAlley are all anti-wrinkle, helps dark circles, etc. etc. They're specifically formulated to fix certain problems. I don't have any of those problems around my eyes (yet) and so I'm really just looking for something to add to my skin care routine that would prevent or lessen the effects of those problems.Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help!Oh p.s. I've tried only one eye cream, it was like L'oreal Genesis Preventive whatever. It was awful; irritated my eyes and made my eyelids shrink.I normally don't have that sensitive of skin though, just as a reference.
Payu

Return to Allergy Testing