Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Alcohol

Re: Alcohol

Postby Kykeith » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 am

Make sure you state that its a cash bar on the invitations. Then make sure the ruerastant, its manager and your waitress know that all drinks outside of coffee, tea, water and soda which are standard are purchased away from the table and at a free standing bar, where tabs are not permitted. If the ruerastant tries to be difficult, just mention that you don't want to be held responsible if someone brings an underage guest and they consume alcohol on their premises. They should be more accommodating and won't realize that your more focused on controlling your bill total than anything else.
Kykeith

Postby Lifer » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

This is a great site, its great to know your not alone. It takes other people who have gone through the same thing to truly understand the torment one goes through when dealing with eczema. I have had eczema all my life. I recently went through a lot of stress, depression and serious lack of sleep and had a major break out on my face. The kind that makes you just want to crawl into a hole and not come out. I read a book recently that helped me understand eczema as I hadn't before. Many people that suffer from eczema, have parents that have either aszma, hay fever, or eczema. My parents had aszma and hay fever. Many people who suffer with eczema have an inferior skin barrier (lack of limpids) and also their skin do not produce a natural antibaterial. This helped me understand why when I sweat I feel like I'm itching and on fire. I do get some relief taking either claritin or benadryl. In regards to drinking, strangely enough, I find when I drink (I drink whiskey) that it seems to actually seem a bit better. This doesn't make sense though. Alcohol is something you are supposed to avoid when you have eczema as well as nicotine and caffeine.
Lifer

Postby Ryan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:44 am

Does anyone find that smoking weed causes flare ups of eczema? I didn't really find that it made me flare up before it just wasn't good for my acne....yup, I have both. Honestly I feel so insecure due to my skin. It sucks. Even places where I used to have it are scarred. To me sometimes it looks normal until I see someone who has never had to deal with this and then I can really see how my skin has been affected. For the past two weeks or so I have had increasingly bad eczema on my face. It was never this serious before except a long time ago when I had food allergy reactions or just really bad flare ups. I hate this. I feel like shit all the time. I've been on so many different creams since I was like 7 or 8. At that time it was mostly for the insides of my elbows and the back of my knees. Since then I feel like it's migrated to many different parts of my body. Inner thighs (gone), hands (mostly gone), chest, neck, face. Knees and elbows are less severe now mostly gone but my chest neck and face are probably the worst. Normally they aren't SUPER bad but they flare up a lot. Also, my back is affected. I think I probably have scarring from this in places its gone now. This sucks. Also I find that when I sweat my face gets really red and I feel itchy and it kind of feels like its burning
Ryan

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:40 am

Hi,

I have hereditary psoriasis, on both my calves front and back and front thighs with a bit of forearm action aswell.
Use NON-Bio washing powder and rinse the clothes thoroughly, I put them on 2 additional rinse cycles. SALT + OPEN SKIN = BAD
Alot of posts mention alcohol in a generic term.
There are many forms of alcohol and for me they provoke different responses.
e.g any heard of Stella Artios refered to as 'wife beater'?
FOR ME - if I drink Carlsberg Export 4.8%- fine Innis and Gunn original 6.6% - itching within 10 minutes same with Baileys or Rum. Which I love.
One guaranteed solution when you start to itch is to wash the area with water, in a motion that removes the sweat and loose skin.
(I use a rough towel. The 2 additional rinse cycles gives this.)
This, after the initial predictable pain and 5-10 minutes forces the body to react.
My body produces a clear liquid in said areas and a painkiller to-boot.
Wrap area in a fresh dry towel has an amazing relaxing feeling without any chemicals or drugs.
Eating pitta or nan bread instead of normal supermarket bread has reduced the unpredictable scratching a bit. That might be a placebo though.
I wear tubular bandages that i cut to the right size, stops my clothes sticking and helps to draw out the sweat.
Hope there are enough suggestions.
Also, and probably my main point, reduce the stress in your life. HOW?
Don't get pulled into other peoples 'dramas'.
If you're generally good natured, be selfish, you are allowed! Concentrate on your own shit, get your finances in order, sort the things that worry you, things you can control. Even if it means putting them on a written list and hiding it.
Frank

Postby Marshall » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 am

I am currently suffering through a summer long "flare up" (is it still a flare up when it lasts an entire season?) Although I've always had eczema at various points through out my life, mostly on my hands when I was younger and the classic behind the knee & elbow bit, its now decided to pop up aknew on my forehead and neck at middle age. Ive read all these posts and one poster put it well, like a butterfly. I like how he/she equates something so pretty with what is cetainly not a welcome event.

But what I really want to say here is how grateful I am for all of you sharing your stories and not making feel so alone at this moment cause let me tell you waking up in the morning and immediately checking the pillow for blood and being terrified to look in the mirror for fear of what I may see...it wears a person down. So thank you all for honesty and you stories, it makes me feel I'm not alone and want to carry on and it gives me hope.
Marshall

Postby kat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 am

I have had eczema my whole life, it was only ever on the inside of my arms and on the back of my legs. This is the first year I have started drinking and coincidentally my eczema has spread all over my body especially around my neck. I have noticed the day after I drink, especially if I drink a Vodka Cruiser my my eczema gets much worse.
kat

Postby EczemaVictim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Just found this site and am immensely glad to know Im not alone in this horrible battle. My eczema set on during adulthood (Im now 28) and it's getting increasingly worse. I definitely put back a lot of alcohol (wine specifically, +3 glasses 3-4 times a week) and have noticed it makes the situation worse. Other sulfate based substances such as salad dressings also make my lips go nuts.

For two years my lips were INSUFFERABLY chapped and not just due to wine. Even when I didn't drink a red flaky ring would develop around my lips and become inflamed. My nickname because "baboon" because I looked like a baboon's arse. No joke. Every dermatologist I went to simply scratched their head.

Finally I found a miracle cream that after two weeks cured me for life!! My lips are fine to date, minus flare ups due to highly fragranced lipsticks/glosses and well the wine. The cream is called Protpic and is my saving grace.

I'm the first to encourage altering your lifestyle and not resorting to steroid based creams. We all know they're horrible. However, if you are having traumatic eczema issues and looking for a push in the right direction you might give it a try in moderation. I can't tell you how much it saved me. Im still working on the wine part...
EczemaVictim

Postby Dannigoo » Thu May 02, 2013 6:53 pm

I am 20 years old and have always suffered with sensitive skin but not until about 16 did I ever have eczema. I only had it on the backs of my knees and front of my elbows (of course...) until i was 19 and then suddenly at the end of 2012 it flared EVERYWHERE!! What I would do to go back to it just being on my elbows and knees again.

I am seeing my first dermatologist next week after seeing what seems like 500 million doctors and used 30 odd different creams. Some work better than others but really nothing is long term. Does anyone else feel that creams, emollients and oils actually irritate you more?

I have started to come to terms with the fact that I wont be able to drink anymore, which is hard considering I am drinking 2 - 3 times a week. However I am pretty sure it is the main reason for my eczema. I also think stress does me a lot of damage too but considering the only thing that is really stressing me out at the moment is eczema it is a very vicious circle.

I'm so so so scared that I am not going to grow out of it. for days its all I think which I know does me no good. I am fed up of people telling me to not itch like its the easiest thing in the world (I mostly do it in my sleep anyway). And I am fed up of people not understanding, as its not a life threatening illness it doesn't seem important.
Dannigoo

Postby danielsan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks everyone for the awesome info!
Well, like you all I have eczema stemmed from a house dust and dust mite allergy which has plagued my life since God knows when. Recently I have moved to a new house and have been experiencing the annoying itch severely! I wondered if it was New Home Syndrome! But my allergy test last month indicated not! So it must be the dust and the mites I concluded. But I haven't been this itchy ever. And after reading all your posts I discovered that it may be ALCOHOL!!! Every night since my move I've been drinking a whisky soda and a beer and the outbreak has not subsided. I have also received confirmation from my dermatologist that alcohol will aggravate my symptoms but I love my beer and nicotine on top of that! Now reading all your thoughts I think it's time for a life change! Thanks again! BTW I don't know whether it's the yeast in the alcoholic drinks or just the alcohol itself! Many Japanese people (Where I reside) are allergic to alcohol no matter what it is. So maybe some of you are just allergic to the alcohol not yeast in beverages like beer.
danielsan

Previous

Return to Smoking