Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Eczema in the media

Re: Eczema in the media

Postby Distressed mum » Tue May 27, 2008 11:43 am

My little girl suffers from Eczema and I have tried everything. I have just been reading about FreeDermHC on the internet, which is something a mom in America discovered that apparently starts working within 24 hours. Anyone knows anything about it???
Distressed mum

Postby nevergiveup » Sat May 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Someone mentioned B-12 cream and where to find it. A search turned up a cream that sounds promising, i think i'll try it myself. I've had eczema my whole life, and also trying everything. The B-12 is BioEntopic - Vitamin B12 Creme from Harvesthealth.com It's 14.99, but you only get 2 oz. The ingredients are pretty natural, and beneficial. since they only give you 2 oz, i just try it on my face. Godd luck to both of us.
nevergiveup

Postby Louise » Sat May 31, 2008 2:37 pm

Got some questions about dermashield and the other shielding lotions. Has anyone found after a few days their skin goes a bit flaky? The lotions always say they come off naturally with exfoliated skin cells-could it be that, or is it just me and my weird skin?! Still, these products are the best thing I've ever tried-I just ordered a big bottle of dermashield because it made my husbands sore hands better in a week and it is also really good for travelling on long car journeys. When I use these products I use steroids a lot less, but I still need them occasionaly. We read so much about b12 cream being a wonder drug WHY IS NO-ONE MASS PRODUCING IT? We are all queueing up to buy a bottle. Keep your eyes peeled everyone-by the way, I tried to make my own by crushing b12 tablets, but it didn't work!!!
Louise

Postby Morpheus » Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm

I tried Derma Shield & Skin MD. My skin reacted horribly to the latter - after 2-3 days use I developed a rash all over the areas I'd applied it to and experienced the most intense ithcing I have done for a long while. It was horrid. It's a shame though because for the first couple of days of using it my skin seemed really nice and smooth... until the rash appeared. Oh and I also experienced that weird flaky thing Louise described - wasn't nice

As for derma shield - my skin responded to that a bit better however I did also develop a few raised areas/bumps/redness when I applied it to my forearms but fortunately no itchiness. I've not used it anywhere else apart from hands or feet recently but will try again when my skin calms down a bit.

Think I'm going to stick with my glycerine and water mixture for a bit. Might try adding some aloe vera to it though.
Morpheus

Postby louise » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Hey morpheus, sorry to hear that the md didn't work for you. like I said before, its got lots of "natural" ingredients, which are all potential allergens and it can be a bit like russian roulette! Read one of the other threads about dilute cider vinegar being good for stopping itching, so I might buy a bottle. Also can you tell me about this glycerine and water you use? Where do you get glycerine from and how much water do you use? Also, is it sticky/greasy or does it absorb into the skin? For example, could you use it on your face if you were going out somewhere?
louise

Postby Morpheus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Louise - I read through the ingredients on Skin MD before buying it and there didn't appear to be anything that should have caused a reaction so I have no idea what it was... but never mind.

Fortunately the itchiness has pretty much disappeared now that I'm back to my own 'home-made' emollient.

I buy the glycerine from Boots but you can get it at most other pharmacies. I think it's about £1.75 for a 200ml bottle. It's a clear liquid (don't buy the glycerine & lemon or blackcurrant concoctions!). It's actually sweet if you taste it - it's a sugar alcohol. I'm sure you've seen it listed in the ingredients of lots of other skin products. It's used due to its humecant properties and that's why I was so interested in Skin MD as they stated that its humecant factor was 6 times greater than glycerine.

You'll need a spray bottle to put it in - that's the easiest way to apply it (a bit like some of those sun protection lotions).

One thing - I wouldn't advise anyone to apply it to broken skin as it will burn like hell. Obviously that's a bit crap for people like us with eczema - I have personal experience of this from when I was a teenager and it was first recommended to me to use glycerine. I was still scratching so badly that I wasn't able to successfully use it until my mid twenties when I'd learned to stop scratching so excessively and my skin had healed somewhat. I really believe that it's played a significant role in keeping my skin in good condition. Essentially wherever your skin is intact there shouldn't be a problem with using the glycerine.

You just need to mix it with water - give it a good shake together so that they mix properly. It's entirely up to you how concentrated you make it. I generally go for half glycerine & half water. If my skin isn't so dry then I might cut it down to a third glycerine and two thirds water.

As for application to the face - I don't personally like it as it seems to make my face sweat (but not the rest of my skin for some bizarre reason) - however my mother uses it on her face quite happily.

It's not particularly sticky and is far more pleasant going on than say vaseline or even aqueous cream - and it certainly doesn't ruin all your clothes like the other two do. It doesn't feel sticky when I touch my skin although for example now when I'm typing and my arms are resting on the table or chair arm - my skin does seem to 'stick' to them (doesn't leave any marks or residue) - it's a bit weird but I can live with that!
Morpheus

Postby Rose » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Morpheus, just a few questions about your glycerine mixture! How many times a day do you usually have to put it on? Does it soak in quickly? Do you have very dry skin and does it moisturise well? I would really like to try it.
Thank you!
Rose

Postby Morpheus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi Rose - I have chronic dry skin but it's much improved with the glycerine. When I first started using it I used to put it on religiously twice a day - once in the morning and once at night - also any time in between when it felt dry but that wasn't too often.

Now that my skin is better I tend to only use it in the mornings. I even go some days without using it at all - but my skin 'feels' better when I do use it regularly (once a day).

It soaks in fairly fast - you don't have to stand there waiting for it to sink in before you put on your clothes - which is what I hated with the 50/50 white soft paraffin that I used previously. Also it doesn't build up in your clothes - I'm sure a lot of people have had this experience with the heavier emollients - ruined clothes and washing machines!

A little goes a long way. I fill up a 200ml spray bottle with a third glycerine and 2 thirds water and it lasts me over a week.

Hope it works for you!
Morpheus

Postby Rose » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Morpheus, thank you for your quick reply! Sounds great and i'm glad you found something that works for you, going to run to the shops and buy a bottle now. Can't go wrong for a couple of £! Fingers crossed it helps, will do a test patch as know what i'm like!!
Thanks again!
Rose

Postby Jackie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Recently read about rubbing the inside of a banana peel on itchy areas. Stung at first then totally reduced itchiness of eczema. Try it, worked for me.

Also, drink water. Look up Watercure (watercure2.org). I was drinking too much green tea. It's based on water/salt (celtic sea salt, not table salt). You drink water/salt all day - no coffee, tea, pop, alcohol (all diuretics). We do not drink the water our bodies need - the website gives free information, and there are books available. Think about what you drink during the day - kids drink alot of sugary juices, soft drinks etc. They propose that many of us are dehydrated. There's a guy named Bob Butts who will actually talk with you over the phone - no charge. When you think about it, for every coffee we drink you need to drink 12-16 oz. of water. I wonder how many people do). Also, drink kefir - can really help with skin disorders.
Jackie

PreviousNext

Return to Eczema Voice Announcements