Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

The treatment that helped me

This topic covers creams and emollients, Tacrolimus/Protopic, bath/showers, alternative treatments and magic cures!

The treatment that helped me

Postby sainterik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi,
I stumbled across this forum when looking for help when my eczema was so bad I couldn't sleep at night. That was 6 months ago, since when my eczema has improved dramatically and I wanted to let people know what has helped in my case.

I'm in my early 40s and had previously never suffered with eczema. A few years ago I started getting really itchy shins which sometimes kept me awake at night, but wasn't a major problem. Then about 18 months ago I started getting bad eczema on the backs of my knees, insides of elbows and on my neck. It got to the point where I was barely sleeping. The doctor prescribed me Fucibet cream which helped for a few weeks but then the eczema got worse again and I also read that long-term use wasn't recommended. I then tried a strict elimination diet, thinking I must have developed an allergy. I went to see a nutritionist and for 2 months I ate no sugar, gluten or dairy, which just made me miserable - and constipated, which was odd given the healthy diet I was on... I also changed my washing powder, soaps etc., all to no avail.

My daughters had been seeing a local chiropractor/complimentary health therapist for digestive problems and travel sickness and their conditions had improved a lot. I went to see the therapist who believed that my eczema was due to insufficient stomach acid, which meant I wasn't breaking down proteins properly and therefore my body wasn't getting the nutrients it needed (that's my simplified paraphrasing of his explanation). Funnily enough, I had done a basic stomach acid test when I saw the nutritionist and that had indicated I had very low stomach acid levels. The chiropractor prescribed the following:
1. A session of chiropractic treatment every few weeks.
2. Taking the food supplement Betaine HCL Pepsin with meals to increase stomach acid (this should be taken under the supervision of a therapist as I believe too much stomach acid can be dangerous).
3. Taking fish oil tablets (initially a very high dose gradually reducing to a normal dose, again best to check with a professional).
4. Following the Hay Diet (see Wikipedia entry for explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hay_diet ). The Hay Diet basically involves eating proteins and carbohydrates separately, at least three hours apart. It has its detractors (some have tried it for weight loss, for which I think it's probably useless), but many swear by its health benefits. At a basic level, it means you can eat fish but no chips or pasta but no meat sauce - you get the idea. It's a bit of a nuisance at first, and you have to follow it strictly, but you get used to it. The important thing is you can pretty much eat what you want, just not at the same time.
5. Eliminating coffee and most tea (I used to drink a lot a lot of coffee).

I started sleeping better after a few weeks of the treatment. After a few months I found I was itching less. And as of today all signs of my eczema have gone - including the weals, scabs, redness and itchiness.

So, fingers crossed, that's what has worked for me. I appreciate that the cause of my eczema may well be different to that of many others, as I only got eczema very recently. According to the chiropractor further treatment is required for the cause of the low stomach acid. If anyone is interested I can provide a link to the therapist's website (if that's allowed on this forum - I'm new so not sure of the etiquette). He practices in the Bath area and in Edinburgh.

I hope this information is of use to someone!
sainterik

Return to Creams, Oils, Salts, Therapies (Alternative and New), Tests