Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Steroid withdrawal

This topic covers creams and emollients, Tacrolimus/Protopic, bath/showers, alternative treatments and magic cures!

Steroid withdrawal

Postby Redhayley » Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 am

Hi, I have been using steroids of and on for over 30 years. I have recently read a lot of information about topical steroid addiction, and the plight of many who have blogged about it. Has anyone has success from withdrawing steroids slowly, even over a number of years to reduce their dependency? Many are saying that going cold turkey is the only way, but would like some opinions about tapering ts use. Thanks
Redhayley

Re: Steroid withdrawal

Postby ScratchyGirl » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:49 am

Hi Hayley,

This is an old thread and I cant believe no one has replied to it yet.

I am in month 14 of topical steroid withdrawal and am recovering quick. I used TS for over 30 years pretty much every day and all over the body including face, eyelids etc.

I have been in contact with HEAPS of people going through it as you really need a good support network. It was hell on earth but coming out the other side of it I don't need the steroids anymore and my skin is coming along well. The only time I have a flare and go backwards is when I eat the wrong foods like sugar, dairy, wheat etc. As long as I support my body with diet I heal in leaps and bounds.

I have chatted to people who have fully recovered as well, it does happen. The problem is most people once they are recovered they get on with their lives and disappear from the scene - dam them haha!
30-something year old with a lifetime of persistent eczema, asthma and allergies. Recently underwent Topical Steroid Withdrawal.
http://topeczematreatments.com
ScratchyGirl

Re: Steroid withdrawal

Postby jamie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Topical steroid withdrawal is a mixed beast. Some go years without steroids with no improvement but extra suffering. But I think most would agree that long term steroid use is not a good thing.
jamie

Return to Creams, Oils, Salts, Therapies (Alternative and New), Tests