Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

A new school

A new school

Postby Dee » Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:12 pm

My daughter has just started school for the first time. She has eczema on her arms, legs and back and has a flare up at the moment. The other children do stare at her, but no comments have yet been made. I was dreaded this. How do I educate the other children that her skin is not abnormal or contagious?
Dee

Re: A new school

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 02, 2000 7:58 pm

Dee,
I'm sorry I don't know about educating kids but 2 tips for your daughter at school:
1. Plastic chairs should be avoided as they make the legs sweat.
2. Make sure she doesn't sit in direct sunshine and therefore overheat.
Anonymous

Postby winnie » Mon Nov 06, 2000 6:43 pm

Try having a look at this website - www.eczema.org, (sorry eczema voice). I found it last week and it has advice for teachers and pupils alike. I wish my teachers had the kind of information it provides as kids only know what they learn from adults.

Perhaps you could print out the advice for teachers and make an appointment with her teacher to go through it. I was teased for years at school for having severe eczema and so wish that this kind of information was available then.

It will also helps for your child to know as much as possible about it. If she can speak 'knowledgably' about it then her classmates will listen. Teaching her about her own condition will enable her to explain it to her classmates, in language that they will understand.

It only takes a couple of children to understand the issue to discourage others that may tease.

Good luck!
winnie

Postby Dee » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:12 pm

Winnie,
Thanks for the advice. I have checked out the NES website and will have a chat with the teacher at school. This will continue in every new class my daughter attends. Children seem to latch on to anyone who's different.
I rememeber a girl on my class at school with severe eczema and although a few kids teased her, because she was just our friend, it never bothered the majority of us. Sorry this wasn't the case for you and hope it is the case for my daughter.
Have you had eczema all of your life? Has it improved with age? What other treatments have you tried?
Hope you don't think me nosey.
Keep in touch.
Dee

Postby Dee » Sat Nov 25, 2000 9:44 pm

Winnie,
I did read the message you sent a little while ago, but I think it's been erased. Sounds like you had it tough as a child. How are things now?
My daughter seems pretty happy at school. I spoke to her teacher who was really nice, but pretty ignorant about eczema. She is going to try and find a story book which might relate to eczema and read it to the class. I guess I can't protect her totally from people's reactions and ignorance, but at least I can try.
Dee

Postby eczemavoice » Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:16 pm

from Jill's newsletter
Starting School with Eczema - by Luke’s mum Mandy
Lukes first day at.s.chool started on Tuesday. I was quite apprehensive about this because he did not enjoy playschool. The first day I had to prize him off me when I went into the classroom. I stood outside with the Headmistress explaining all the things he shouldn’t have like milk, orange juice and sweets, and if he sat next to someone at lunch they would have to watch that other children did not get their sandwiches mixed up. I had come away rather worried. I looked in on him in the classroom and he was fine. The second day I had the same experiences as before, the third day I had to drag him to the car and then drag him to the door, The Teacher had to prize him off me again Luke’s dad witnessed this! The fourth day he went to school happier because I had explained he would have the next two days off, but we still had a tough time getting him in the classroom again. This is his first week of mornings I still have to work out when he starts tull time whether to go to school at lunch time to apply his emollient or leave it to 3 o’clock. So far I am going to try to stretch out applications while he does mornings. So far it looks okay. If it does not then Luke will have to apply it himself. Until they start school you think it is going to be difficult and I am afraid it is.
My other son who is older never had all these problems and I am certain it is because of all the
attention Luke has had, makes it harder now.
I would like to find out if anyone else has had this problem with school. Also I must add if it had not been for the support of family and friends through out this it would
have been even harder.’
Mandy
eczemavoice

Postby Lorraine » Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:54 am

Hi, I'm 18 and only just realised i have excema on my legs this year. looking back it now explains why i hid my legs just thinking it was a bad razor i was using or something. my doctor has given me steroid creams, this wax stuff to put on over night and aqeous cream etc but nothing seems to get it any better. i was playing netball with my cadets on sunday and so had to wear shorts....i was so embarrased at the state of my legs. when sweat got into them they stung like crazy. i put some cream on then they started to burn. then the following night i scratched my legs to pieces. literally. i look like ive been in a fight with a cat!! the scratches go deep and im sure will leave scars. i have been limping the past few days and even cotton trousers against the skin was painful. Does anyone know anything that could act as a barrier for the sweat? is it worth yet again going to the doctor? if anyone has any ideas can you email them to me at lorrainerussell@hotmail.com Thanks very much. after reading this site i have realised that there are a lot of people out their suffering. i personally know just a few. Its not an easy thing to cope with and we all need support. i look forward to a few replies. take care everyone.xxx
Lorraine

Postby Pete in Plymouth » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:30 pm

When I was at school I was refered to as flea-bag, scabby-hands, grandad-hands, grandad-features and when Clive Dunn sang the song Grandad the other children sang "Grandad, Grandad, your'e ugly. That's what we all think of you!" Thirty years later I still get simial abuse down the pub and am regarded by local youths as a source of sadistic entertainment. According to the police this is my own fault because I look like someome with whom the youths can have "a bit of fun". Does anyone remember the song,"Sing if your glad to be Gay"?

According to reserch by Mencap and Mind the visably disabled are far more likly to suffer hate crime and little will be done. This is Holocaust rememberance day - I suggest that you type T4 into your serch engine!
Pete in Plymouth

Postby Isha » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:23 am

Hello Everybody,
Our 4 yr old daughter has just started her montessori school;her skin is not very itchy to be true but my question is how do the parents cope with the child's itching at school(in classroom).....do we explain/teach her options as to put cream whenever her skin feels itchy?

Any suggestions woud be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Isha
Isha

Postby mum22 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:22 pm

my son recently started school in oct,his eczema is quite bad with each day being different to the previous.
im lucky that school have agreed to apply the nessasary creams through the day.
my son comes home with blood stains on his shirts which makes me worry that they arnt able to keep a closer eye on him. I know that he will go off and scratch but obviously they arnt able to watch him all the time. i wonder if anyone can let me know how i can go about getting extra support for him in the class, id feel reassured knowing someone was able to watch him more closely, i dont want to be a nagging parent but feel his demands are greater than they have atticipated and i want to help them as much as my son.
mum22

Next

Return to School