Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Filtered water

Filtered water

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 04, 2000 8:28 am

Has anyone used filtered water for their bath instead of normal tap water? If so did it make a difference? Can you connect a filter direct to the bath/shower?
Roger

Re: Filtered water

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:10 am

I attached a water filter to my shower head, you can get them at Home Depot, but i can't say it made a lot of difference, I do notice I itch less but my eczema hasn't cleared up. It can't hurt though, and they're not that expensive.
Anonymous

Postby jane » Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:15 pm

we have attached a chlorine filter to the shower head I think it helps, judging by what happens when my four yearold does come into contact with a chlorinated pool, but remember patience - the water must be run hot and allowed to cool apparently the filter is more effective this way and some chlorine will evaporate aswell.
we purchased ours through the useful Healthy House mail order catalogue
jane

Postby amanda » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:06 pm

Nottingham Support Group for Carers of Children with Eczema

Minutes of the meeting held on 13th November 2002, Childrens OPD, QMC Nottingham.

Present; Colin Gibb, Sandra Varley, Donna Smart, Caroline Shore, Mavis Cox, Carolyn Simpson, Pippa Hemingway.

Apologies: Sandra Lawton, Amanda Roberts

Pippa Hemingway, Dermatology Researcher, gave us a feed back on her research with water softeners.

This was a pilot study to test the feasibility for a larger study. For some time carers of eczema sufferers, and some doctors, have said that living in a hard water area may make eczema worse. There has only been one study that looked at the association between hard water and childhood eczema. Whilst this suggested that there may be a link between the two, we still don’t know if eczema can be improved by softening the water.

Seventeen families agreed to help with the study and each was given either a real water softener or a dummy unit for 12 weeks. At the beginning and end of the study the child’s eczema was monitored by the researcher (Pippa). The families were also asked to complete a daily diary.

With such a small study it was not anticipated that any significant difference would be noted, however, the main reasons for this study was:
a) to help design a future large scale study
b) to see if people could tell if they had a real or a dummy softener
c) to help estimate how many families would be needed for the main study
d) to see if it was difficult to install and maintain the machines as part of a research study

Results of the study

It was found that it was much harder to find families who were willing to help and who had the right type of water system in their homes. Although 76 families originally volunteered, only 17 could be enrolled on the study. A lot of people correctly guessed they had been given a real softener, but those that were given a dummy unit were quite confused. The changes in eczema severity that were observed suggest that 250-300 families will be needed to test the belief that installing a water softener improves childhood eczema.

In general it was found that both groups improved over the study period. Unfortunately there were differences between the groups at the beginning of the study that made it very difficult to tell if the eczema was improved by the water softeners or by other factors, such as people going on holiday or changes in their diet.

What next?

It is intended to make an application to the Medical Research Council for a grant to run a large study. This will involve 250-300 families recruited in 3 different areas (Nottingham and 2 parts of London).

A lively discussion took place following this presentation; several points were raised. It was felt that as there was a seasonal variation in each child’s eczema pattern, that the trial should maybe run over a year to capture these variations.

Members were given a list of next year’s meetings and were asked for ideas for meeting themes. Suggestions so far are: The Eczema/Asthma holidays - Anaphylaxis Campaign - One
of the creams companies might provide a rep with samples - we have not had
one of those for ages; something on acupuncture. Aromotherapy for
relaxation. Dr Allan or Mr Williams. E numbers from a layman's perspective.

Merry Christmas to all and look forward to seeing you next year.

Next meeting: Wednesday 8th January 2003 7-9pm Children’s OPD QMC
amanda

Postby Frances » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:51 pm

Using a Bath Dechlorinator has made a big difference to my son's eczema. He's 14 months old and used to enjoy his weekly sessions in our local swimming pool but his eczema was badly affected by the chlorine and other chemicals. His skin always seemed dried out after his evening bath too.The bathwater is soft and light, James's skin is not dried out and even aqueous cream seems to froth up in it.
Frances

Postby Tobys mum » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:34 pm

Frances

Please could you let me know the supplier you got the bath dechlorinator from - my babies skin seems worse after his bath too.

many thanks
Tobys mum

Postby esther » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:48 am

Has anyone had a salt regenerated ion exchange water softener installed at their home that they would recommend? I am about to get one installed to see if it will help with my toddler's severe eczema. If anyone could save me the hunt through the builders merchants and long conversations with plumbers, I would be grateful!
Esther
esther

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:04 pm

Message for Toby's mum
(sorry not to have replied before - I have been without a computer for a while)
I got my bathwater dechlorinator online from www.eczemabestbuys.co.uk
Frances

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Esther, I bought a water softener of the type you mention from Wickes DIY Kitchens department. It cost about £300 but it's definitely worth it, you'll notice the difference it makes to your child's skin in a couple of days. I'm not sure if Wickes would fit it for you (I got my dad to plumb mine in). I would recommend one even if you live in a soft water area.
Cathy

Postby Samuel Wong » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:29 pm

My son is three months old and he is suffering from eczema problem like many others in this country (UK). After hours and hours of research, I believe the water is the key problem. I am going to install water softener and probably together with shower filter, i hope they would help.

Fyi, they are two types of shower filter, carbon filter(with KDT) and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) filter, carbon filter can only remove chlorine but ascorbic acid filter can remove both the chlorine and chloramine. some water companies use chloramine (very toxic) to kill bacteria in water.
Samuel Wong

Next

Return to Baths/Showers/Shampoos/Bath Salts