Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

UVB Phototherapy

Re: UVB Phototherapy

Postby Sarah.E » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I am 19 years old and I have had eczema (although i've also been told its psoriasis) since the age of 2. Last summer I had UVB treatment 3 times a week for about 3 months. It worked really well and my excema was basically gone afterwards. I was so pleased but as time went on my excema came back and now it is the same as it was before the treatment. I am considering going on a sunbed to see if it has the same effects but I know it is much worse for you than having it mediated by a doctor. Any advice? ... It's just that it took so much effort and time to get to my hospital appts to be there for 1 minute!
Sarah.E

Postby marie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 pm

started uvb treatment but know that i will get fed up getting to the hospital, they are smothering me in creams which i do not like especially steriod but i do not have any choice at present because my skin has reached rock bottom and made me depressed.

have tried puva in past but made worse - may have been the tablets as i am allergtic to most medication
marie

Postby Leon2618 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:11 pm

I am fair skinned and have always had mild eczema which tends to come and go but generally have poor dry skin all over. I notice that it greatly improves in the mid to late summer once I start to tan. I decided to speed up the process this year by visiting my local tanning salon and I have to say that after a once per week visit of six minute sessions my skin is now looking fantastic. I did react quite badly on the first couple of visits when my whole body appeared to just 'peel' But I persevered and after week 3 began to notice a remarkable change. I would definitely recommend this course of treatment although I recognise this needs to be treated with a cautios and sensible approach as I do not wish to add skin cancer to my list of ailments. Also I routinely use aveeno cream and synalar cream prescribed by my dermatologist and take oatmeal baths twice per week. Good luck everyone and keep smiling!
Leon2618

Postby old uvb patient » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:09 pm

hey people
i had uvb phototherapy from june until november this year. had to go to the hospital 3 times a week.
started off with just 10 seconds but the dosage gradually increased by 10% every time i went. for the first month or so i didnt notice that much difference but then it started to work. my skin was fantastic for about a month/2months - my skin was clear, there was no eczema patches at all and i moisturised in the morning and that was enough to keep me going throughout the day.
BUT
as im really fair skinned, as my dosage went up, ther treatment began to burn me. at first i was coming home a little pink and sore, didnt think too much of it.
but then i was getting really REALLY bad burns, the sort you would get from laying in the sun abroad all day. i had a horrendous burn on my chest which peeled after it was incredibly sore and weepy for 3/4 days. it was ever so painful
my treatment has now stopped because i was burning and i am now awaiting an appointment with my dermatologist about going on the immunosuppressant, azathioprine.
my advice to people having uvb light therapy is to really closely monitor your skin. tell the dermatology department about any changes when you visit for the treatment, they're meant to log it all down and its important to track how you're doing. if you ever start to burn LET THEM KNOW. its really painful when you DO burn, so dont let it get too late. hope this helps to some of you, would like to hear back x
old uvb patient

Postby Thilaga » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of auoirvs subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.
Thilaga

Postby Tutun » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Eczema is a common prolbem of infancy and many mother have spent many anguished moments dealing with itching, squirming, unhappy infants with abnormal skin. The prolbem often appears on the face as patches of reddish, scaling skin. As eczema worsens, the skin becomes more itchy, red, thickened, and grooved, and may blister, weep, and crack. The typical distribution of eczema is on the face, behind the ears, on the fronts of the elbows, the backs of the knees, the hands, neck, and trunk. Nocturnal restless, irritability and crying are prominent. When the child begins to crawl, the exposed areas especially the extensor aspects of knees are affected. Diaper rash is a common association and may be severe. The eczematous infant has food allergy until proven otherwise. If formula-fed, then the formula is to blame and needs to be changed. Cow's milk is a common cause and switching to soya based formulas may help.If the infant is breast fed, then mothers diet contains the prolbem food and need to be changed. A decision has to be made based on the severity of the infant's conditions. If the eczema is mild and the infant is otherwise health and happy, the best decision will be to use steroid cream sparingly to control the skin eruption and monitor the child carefully for further symptoms.If the eczema is more severe, especially if other health prolbems are associated, then mother should consider doing the Alpha Nutrition Program herself. She retreats to Phase 1 foods for 10 days or longer until her breast-fed infant settles and the skin begins to heal. It takes several weeks for the skin to heal completely and unfortunately, if mother indulges in small treats the infants skin may react strongly and postpone healing for more weeks. When is is time to introduce solid foods to the infant, the phase 1 list of Alpha Nutrition foods serves as the guide to first foods. If the infant does well with mother eating phase 1 foods we are more optimistic that these foods will be well-tolerated when they are fed to the infant directly.
Tutun

Postby Hayden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:15 am

HI I have atopic dermatitis since I was a young, I am 22 now and just did my first round of UV light treatment however not sure if I want to continue, do you really see that much a difference in your skin? I have tried the wet soaks, and ointments however one thing that i did find that helps ( with the exception of this flare up) is A&D ointment, its really soothing.
Hayden

Postby Jojorainbow » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 am

Hey All.

I have an assessment by the dermatologist Friday for light therapy. Really positive adobe literally tried EVERYTHINg. Ciclosporin was great but really scared of the long term affects of an immuno suppressant. Any advice to give? What do I expect? Do they give u any time for you treatment. Is there any flexibility ? X
Jojorainbow

Postby Sparklez92 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:54 pm

I've had this course of treatment twice now. Although apparently you're limited to 8 times in your life that you can have it due to increased skin cancer risk. The first time I had it, my skin, after being covered from head to toe in sores (and trying every cream/bandage/steroid combo under the sun) was, after weeks of gradual light exposure, suddenly what i would class as 'perfect'. suddenly there were no wounds, no nasty dry patches, no redness i had to hide with long clothes, and my face was nowhere near as blotchy and horrific as it had been before! I got sunburn the first few times, but then the nurses sorted my dose and i was fine.

the second time I had the course (Last year, in fact) i again had the same results. Im super impressed with it, although at the moment I'm going through a rough patch skin wise as I'm in the process of buying my first home (with my boyfriend who has never seen me in the middle of a severe flare up so far) so I'm really stressed! overall though i'd recommend UVB to anyone who gets the chance, although i'd definitely go the hospital route rather than buying a dodgy home machine for it, as it has to be calibrated and tailored to your specific skin needs.
Sparklez92

Previous

Return to Puva lamps