Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Pompholyx/ dyshidrotic eczema

Pompholyx/ dyshidrotic eczema

Postby lisahady » Wed May 07, 2003 7:51 pm

Last year I developed severe dyshidrotic eczema on my hands. So far, I've visited 4 dermatologists and have gone through 6 tubes of dermovate! My last dermatologist prescribed Protopic, I have been using this for about 5 days but I've had no improvements- if anything, my hands are now worst! my hands are now weeping and my skin is coming off.

Can anyone recommend a treatment that works? has anyone used Protopic for this condition?
lisahady

Re: Pompholyx/ dyshidrotic eczema

Postby Stephanie » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:42 am

I have used everything. My doctor has been trating me with singulair,allegra,doxipen. I use protopic and temovate ointment. This really just keeps it from getting real bad. I bathe with latex gloves so my heands don't get wet. I use only Cetaphil soap. I have it on my hands the worse. They used to get like gorund beef they were so cut up. He is going to try Methotrexate next weak which suroresses teh immune system. Hopefully this will help.
Stephanie

Postby endure » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:47 am

lisahady - I too have severe eczema on my hands and I'm sorry to say that there seems to be very little that helps. Steroid injections or Prednisone will clear it up for awhile. Sometimes the internal steroids are worth it just to get some relief - however brief it may be. From my experience, Protopic and Elidel do not work on hands (they are remarkable for softer tissue though such as the face and back) and steroid creams have minimal effect. I've had eczema all my life - along with allergies - and I've taken allergy shots for over 30 years. Contrary to what many doctors say, eczema is persistent. While it may subside for up to several years it can come back with a vengeance - mine subsided for about 3 years and looked like it was gone forever but it came back worse than ever. Sounds bleak for us sufferers but I believe there is hope. When I was very young, the only treatment was tar based products and their use made one smell like a refinery, besides being of little help. But I have seen the evolution of eczema treatment firsthand and I truly believe that there will be a cure in the near future. Many researchers are hot on the trail of this annoying, painful and embarrassing condition.
endure

Postby guest » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:49 am

I also have severe eczema on my hands. It started 2 years ago on my left finger and slowly spread out to the entire hand. Now my right hand is getting affected. Each time I apply my prescribed cream, a layer of skin dries up and peels. I no longer have finger prints! It is really devastating to not being able to work and do things with your hands. On days, I just want to just chop off my hands! I cant do anything with it. I can't even moisturise because they are constantly inflammed no matter how I take care of them. I double glove for safety. I take evening primose and have a healthy diet. I've done detox, calendula oil, vitamins, de-stress,etc.. I dont go near harmful allergens nor wash dishes or go near kitchen. I'm a been there done that in finding a relief for my eczema. I refuse to go to the doctors anymore because all they prescribe are corticosteroids or the 'steroid' injection. I recently bought elidel (can you imagine the best doctor where I live do not carry elidel!) I've tried it for a week. Symptoms are still there, red, angry, weeping, and itchy. I'm losing hope... I have tried everything. I am planning to have a child. Just imagine not being able to carry my baby with these wretched hands. I just need to vent.... sorry my email isnt helping anyone.. :(

Postby ruth » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:36 pm

hi guest - just reading your post and wondering - what job do you do??? - you mentioned that you 'double gloved' for safety reasons - i'm just wondering if you've got a form of contact dermatitis - perhaps in relation to handsoaps being used in the workplace ( i know a lot of nurses who suffer from this) or perhaps could it be related to a latex allergy???. there is a test that your doc can do to test whether you have a latex allergy - may pay to have this checked out if using latex gloves. A friend ofmine had to battle with her doc as he didn't 'believe' in it - was extremely embarrassed when the the test came back positive!!!. I know the battle seems too hard sometimes - have you tried using barrier creams on your hands before going to and during work to help minimise contact with irritants???. some silicon based barrier creams work well...just a couple of ideas to explore. hope things improve 4 you!. don't give up
ruth

Postby guest » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:53 pm

Hi Ruth - Thanks for your email. I was really down and out when I wrote that, it was probably my pms talking. To answer your questions, no I was in corporate mgmt. And I'm sure it's not latex, with or without, it just flares, and I noticed it flares just before my pms! I don't use soap at all. I've had eczema for 25 yrs but the last 2 yrs were the worst when it attacked my hands. Don't worry, I won't give up.. I hv a very supportive husband and I'm trying to maintain a positive outlook. I am continuing my evening primrose, probiotics (yakult), flaxseed. I avoid dairy, peanuts, tomatoes, etc. And I will continue to read up on alternative remedies, keep trying and... pray. :)

Postby ruth » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:15 pm

hi guest - no probs - i don't suffer personally with eczema myself (my daughter does) but i know my skin always looks like bad with pms. such a wonderful time - really makes you appreciate being a woman - NOT!
well at least its not a latex allergy - thats good. maybe you should mark on the calendar when that lovely time of the month is and start preparing your hands the week or so in advance with wet wraps, steroids/elidel etc so that hopefully it won't be as bad. if porcupines can have babies with all their spiky skin - then i'm sure you will manage and do fine. dont' let this stop you from doing what you want...its a condition you have - but you are more than just a skin condition!!!. sometimes we all need reassurance about this - it can take you over at times as many will vouch for. hang in there
ruth

Postby sam » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:22 pm

i developed pompholyx eczema on my hands and feet and my doctor was very sympathetic as she had been treating me for years with psoriasis,how unlucky can 1 girl be,4 the eczema ive been useing betnavate cream every nite and im really pleased to say that i think its begining to work,im very down about both things that i suffer with.
sam

Postby CraigE1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:34 pm

I have had 3 flare-ups of dyshidrotic eczema in the last couple of months. In each case it lasted several weeks and on the previous occasion became infected (which I understand is quite common) and meant a course of anti-biotics :(

After a couple of weeks of suffering last time I got on the internet and read up. Those of you on here will realise that this condition does not respond well to treatment, however UV treatment (also Mometasone Furoate cream - "Elocon") were quoted in a few places as potentially offering some relief. After reading this, I went to my local tanning shop for a few mins UV and definitely noticed an improvement.

On sunday I noticed that when I squeezed my hands together they felt like pins & needles and on Monday morning I could see the first signs on my palms - I went straight down to the Tanning Shop and gave myself 5 mins UV - this morning the condition has all but disappeared.

My eczema is quite UV sensitive so this may not work for everyone (I've learnt that everyone's eczema is different!) but I would definitely suggest this as an option - ideally at the beginning of symptoms, but even part way through if the former option is not open to you.

Best of luck - I hope this is of some help to someone :)

-Craig.
---
CraigE1

Postby CraigE1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm

Follow-up to my post below...

I have now discovered the CAUSE of my Pompholyx is DAIRY.
- I have cut this out from diet and my hands & feet are now completely clear of these symptoms! :)

I know that everyone's case is different, but as diet seems to come up so often with eczema and skin-related conditions, I would definitely recommend a little experimentation with elimination of common factors (e.g. dairy, wheat, eggs, soya).

Kind regards,
-Craig.
---
CraigE1

Next

Return to Tacrolimus/Protopic