Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Protopic- How long, when to stop & what to do when you stop

Protopic- How long, when to stop & what to do when you stop

Postby punky » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:54 am

HI, I've just posted in another protopic convo but i think this topic is what a lot of people who have had success with it will be looking for. Questions i'm interested in: 1. Do u use any emollients while using protopic 2. How long do you use it for and when do you know to have a break. 3. How long til the eczema returns. 4. Do u use anything like emollients in the period between stopping protopic and having to resume treatment with it. Answers to these would be great as i've tried using it in lots of ways, ie once a day, twice a day, with emollients, etc. The best for me (with seborrheic dermatitis of the face) is to use it sparingly on the affected areas twice a day, while will drastically improve it in 4-6 days.... the the problems start when i stop, i've tried going 2 emollients, but the x returns in 2 days or so so i'm currently trying switching to nothing atall after protopic has brought the inflammation down and im gona see if this is more successful. Any input would be great and i will post again after ive tried this method out.
punky

Re: Protopic- How long, when to stop & what to do when you stop

Postby suzywoozy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:01 pm

hmmm. We have been using protopic on my 2 year old son since October. We too have used it in a variety of ways, we seem to have settled into a more or less constant use of it sparingingly on effected parts once a day with doublebase used once or twice a day. We can sometimes have a break of at most 5 days when we up the amount of doublebase being used. I am going back to the consultant next week and hope he will give us someguidelines on whether this is appropriate long term use, although TBH he was saying it was pretty much trial and error. All I know is that since using it our lives have been turned round, we now have a child whose eczema is somewhat under control rather than it controlling us.
suzywoozy

Postby punky » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:37 pm

thats great news woozy!! :) ya its good 4 me 2, im pleased with it. For people with sebhorreic dermatitis that are using it... what im doing it just washing twice a day, using no emollients, and if it looks like its gona flare up just use it as a one off. skins a little dry but as the time passes after washing it moistens and dryness is better than redness in mon opinion. I'll post again if theres any change but i reckon for ppl with s.d. not using emolient or moisturiser slows the cycle of flare up.
punky

Postby punky » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 am

RE: my post below (seb. dermatitis/protopic). I've got it pretty much under control, using E45 every time i wash and rubbing it in well. Then when it looks like its about 2 flare up i use protopic on the affected area, well after applying my E45 and at night (cos its shiney on the face so if i can wait til night i will) and this does the trick. Hope this helps someone. What I've written below about using no emollient really didn't work for very long before my face was very very dry >Punk in Drublic<
punky

Postby Peri » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 am

umm i think its either nivea or oegtrnuena. they have cream, and stuff for men (boys as well) just go to you local coles or woolies to the skincare range. it has it all there. and usually thy're called all different things, but if you want something that relaxes you face, i would say just a daily moisturiser. however i was just thinking that i dont even know why a 13 year old boy would need a mens moisturiser, but im assuming that a normal moisturser would do the same trick. only you might get embarresed it your mates saw it
Peri

Postby marie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 pm

i have been using 1% protopic for appx ten years on my face,just now and then when it got bad.i developed genital herpes, herpes is a side effect, i was in a bad way went to the docs he spoke down to me, i told him its a side effect of protopic, i had to mke a complaint about him treating me like that, i wont use it now even though ive depended on it,i still get sore but thats put me off going to the docs, the sexual health clinic backed me up about the protopic they were very nice.
marie

Return to Tacrolimus/Protopic