Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Newbie Protopic Questions

Newbie Protopic Questions

Postby Chalen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:58 am

Hi all,

I've been using the weaker version of protopic for about 4 days with no improvement and I'm wandering whether I'm using it in the correct way, so I'm wandering if anyone could help me with these questions? :)

Can I use emollient wash - Dermol or Oilatum before applying protopic or will that form a barrier to absorption?

Is it correct that I cannot apply emollient 2 hours before applying protopic - even if I wash?

Guidance says you can continue using moisturisers - but does that include barrier ointments such as epaderm and other barrier creams?

Any help appreciated! I also have the prescription for the stronger version and I'm tempted to start using it sooner rather than later as I've not experienced any improvement as yet. I'll try and hold out for a bit longer though!

Cheers :)
Chalen

Re: Newbie Protopic Questions

Postby iusedtohatemyself » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Chalen,

Hopefully I can offer some advice on this. I could possibly help more if I knew; What protopic you are currently using and how bad are you suffering with E?

Going off your post I've answered what I can below;

Chalen wrote:Can I use emollient wash - Dermol or Oilatum before applying protopic or will that form a barrier to absorption?

Always apply your protopic first, otherwise you're just rubbing into the emollient barrier. Surprising your GP or dermatologist wouldn't mention this - its a base fact in anyones E management routine really. Ideally you should apply protopic first right after a shower or bath in a preferred emollient, then the barrier product second. I recommend Hydromol bath and shower emollient for your bath, over Dermol and Oilatum as these are very weak, over the counter products.

Baths are also proven to be better at showers when dealing with E in the early stages too.

Chalen wrote:Is it correct that I cannot apply emollient 2 hours before applying protopic - even if I wash?

I've never heard this before, I personally don't believe this to be true. Washing will wash off your emollient and after 2 hours the protopic has probably done all it can.

Chalen wrote:Guidance says you can continue using moisturisers - but does that include barrier ointments such as epaderm and other barrier creams?

I had a very bad experience with epaderm, I personally don't recommend. I went cold turkey on all moisturisers and stuck purely to medical moisturisers (emollients) for a period of about 2 years. I found that Hydromol is the best emollient, but you can't really put moisturisers on top of this as its a bit like Vasaline, it really creates a barrier on your skin, albeit a little shiny- Gradually reduce using this and slowly revert back to a normal moisturiser.

Fire over some more questions if you have any.
iusedtohatemyself

Return to Tacrolimus/Protopic