Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Use of azathioprine

Use of azathioprine

Postby nick » Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:51 pm

my daughter has had severe atopic eczema since infancy. she is now 19. none of the treatments used have helped long term and the use of topical steroids are always short live. her consultant has now recomended azathioprine. we are trying to speak to any one that has used this treatment before we decide
nick

Re: Use of azathioprine

Postby Face/off girl. » Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:29 am

Dear Nick,
I, too, have had severe eczema since birth. Having tried nearly all of the available treatments, I was excited to be put on azathioprine. I've been taking the tablets for about 6-8 months and they seem to be working. My eczema still flairs up from time to time but on the whole I have seen a definite improvement.
However, I don't think azathioprine is a long term solution. As your consultant must of told you, the tablets need to be used in conjuction with the topical treatments, ie the skin need to be moistured and treated with steroids(if necessary). Also, you need to be aware of the possible side effects the tablets may have. Azathioprine is an immune-surpressent. Therefore, one of the possible side effects would be a decline of the immune system.
To reiterate, I have benefitted a great deal from using the tablets. My eczema is much more controled, there are less cracks in the skin, and I don't itch as much. So far, I haven't experienced any negative side effects (not that I'm aware of!). I have my blood tested every fortnight as a precaution.

I hope this helps you and your daughter. Good luck!
Face/off girl.

Postby Bernadette » Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:59 am

Hi Nick...my Mum is 73 years old and her consultant has just recomended we now try Azathioprine - like you we are very scared as we don not know much about it - ie the side effects. How did u r daughter get on.
Thanks.
Bernadette
Bernadette

Postby Jim » Sun May 05, 2002 5:23 pm

Hello Nick
Our Son Brett has atopic Eczema which covers anything up to 65% of his body. He has tried most medical stuff including Cyclosporin.He has just been prescribed this stuff called Azathioprine. We read with interest your previous answers, but we are just concerned about the possible long term effects as this may effect him for a long time, as he is only 11 years of age. any information would be most helpful

From Jim in Grays Essex
Jim

Postby alison » Wed May 05, 2004 7:45 pm

my name is alison i have sufferd all my life from severe eczema i am 47 years old my consultant triedme on azathioprin 18 years ago it changed my life for the better. i have breaks of 5to 6 months every few years and have blood test i try to eat well and look aftermy self and my skin and allwaysturn up for my appointments.i do not feel sobad about my life now i have 2 children and 2 granddaughters good friends and a loveing husband
alison

Postby ruth » Thu May 06, 2004 8:30 am

hi alison - i am glad you posted this - my daughter who is now 5 was put on azathioprine last year for some months but we stopped it because it dropped her white blood cell counts (neutropenia) too low. but we have found that it made an amazing difference once we got an effective dose and since we have stopped it (for approx 2 monthsnow) we have noticed that apart from one quite nasty flare up - it seems to have almost stopped it in its tracks - it is there but nothing like it was. i really haven't spoken with anyone else who has been on this - there are only 2 other children at the hospital where my daughter goes who are currently on it and none of them have suffered neutropenia. could you share some more of your experiences with me about this e.g. how severe was yours. how often you have bloods done, side effects etc. we feel quite alone in pursuing this treatment - but so far it really has been worth the gamble. thanks
ruth

Postby Trina » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:43 pm

My son has severe atopic eczema, he is now 16 years old and since he started puberty it has worsened significantly, he has tried virtually every treatment - steroids, uv therapy, all of which have either had little effect, or have made him worse. It has now been suggested he go onto Azathioprine - but both he and I are unsure about this because of the side effects, but his consultant thinks this is the only thing left for him to try. Does anybody have any advice they can offer, or has any one out there tried any alternative therapies ?
Trina

Postby tropical » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:06 am

I am 62 years old and I have had atopic eczema for 15 years, my skin is very fragile from taking steroids of and off during these years. I started azathioprine two weeks ago, one tablet 50mg and this week I start taking 2 tablets, so far I do not seem to have any side effects, and will take a blood count and liver test in two weeks to see how I am doing. I live in the West Indies and would appreciate any advice on how long it takes before one can see results. I have not noticed a deterioration of the itch.
tropical

Postby tedybear » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:19 am

Hi people. please give free-derm a try.I bought a bunch of it, it will stop the itch fast and last a long time......god-bless...
tedybear

Postby Jimbob » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:29 am

I have heard very mixed reprts about free-derm hc. It basically is a moisturising cream with 1% hc added to it. Some people have good results with it but others don't find it helps. I don't feel it is worth the money and you probably end up applying more hc to your skin than you would normally. I know it is only 1% hc but on a baby or young child if applied to often it would still not be good for their skin.
Jimbob

Next

Return to Other/creams/miracle cures/etc etc