Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Usage

Usage

Postby Sarah » Tue May 15, 2001 8:41 pm

I am searching for the probable impossible. My 22 month old son Max has moderate eczema which seems to be aggravated by many of the emolients available on the market. This ranges from redness and irritation through to an immediate allergic response after application with severe itching, wheels and hives. I'm sure its probably preservatives but is there an emollient available on prescription that is suitable for such a problem? I currently use dream cream from the Lush natural cosmetic shop which seems Ok but I notice even that has cetearyl alcohol in it. I am fed up with shelling out a small fortune!! Shea butter is suggested under another topic on this site, where can I get this and is it expensive? Like most of us I will try anything to sort Max out but I estimate that in total I have spent nearly £800 - 1000 on homeopathy, creams and special sleep suits and other clothing.I would welcome any suggestions.
Sarah

Re: Usage

Postby Kim » Fri May 18, 2001 5:06 am

Hi Sarah
our daughter also has had reactions to commercially available creams - especially sorbalene which of course every doctor recommends (well here in Sydney anyway). I met an irish women about two years ago and she said to use bi-carb soda which we do and it works really well. We put about a half a cup into her bath and it relieves the itching and also seems to help remove any dry scaley skin. I have since met a natropath who says it probably works because it changes the PH level on the skin (not so acid) and also it is an antiseptic so helps keep away those germs. The irish lady said you could make it into a paste and rub it on the skin but we haven't tried that.
Also I have always used cornflour on rashes. With my first child i always used it for nappy rash - the nappy rash clears up instantly so when our second daughter had eczema i tried it also and found it can reduce the redness a little. You could try dusting it on after a bath - I have a cousin who does this whith her little girl but she doesn't use any creams at all and i am afraid that would just make our daughters skin too dry - but it might work for your little one. Anyway both remedies are very inexpensive.
And just a word of warning - if your childs eczema is only moderate think really carefully about using any steroid creams...we used them for about eight months and now Jaime' eczema is only bad where we applied the creams and has completely vanished from everywhere else. Had i known her eczema was relatively good compared to others i would not have used the creams. She used to itch a few times a day and i was told constantly to use the steroid cream by doctors, nurses etc that i did use it but only on her legs and occaisionally around her wrists. I sort of made a deal with myself that i wouldn't use the cream close to her face (worried about brain development or something). So i mostly used it on her legs as i said, even though the eczema was quiet bad on her neck, armpits, face etc...now all of those spots have cleared completely but her legs are a mess and they are worse since i stopped using the cream in december last year. Her eczema has come under control a bit more recently probably due mostly to her new diet however i still have a hunch that her legs would not be so bad if i hadn't used the steroid cream so much!
Other creams i have tried are organic honey and organic olive oil - a very luxurious mix that comes from a company called Honey and the Bees in Tasmania (Australia)...it might be worth looking into as your pound can buy so many aussie dollars at the moment and it would probably be a cheaper option! Also i get an emmolient cream from Goulds chemist in Hobart (Tasmania) which is wonderful for adding moisture - it has chickweed and comfry added...lucky you with the exchange rate so it might be worth a try! It costs me $30 aussie dollars so that would be about eight pound.
Goodluck
Kim
Kim

Postby kim » Fri May 18, 2001 5:52 am

ps.sorry - actually the name for the organic honey and olive oil cream is 'Beauty and the Bees' and the website is www.beebeauty.com
k
kim

Postby Amy » Sat May 19, 2001 3:32 pm

I recommend taking a small amount of Crisco and a small amount of olive oil, combine them together using a mixer and then when you get out of the shower or bath putting the mixture wherever you have ezcema on your body.

This helps with preventing the itchiness. I also suggest that you take Essential fatty acids (available at a local health food store). Hope this helps!!
Amy

Postby gary » Tue Jun 12, 2001 2:18 pm

In response to Kim's suggestion I'm going to try out aqueous cream with sodium bicarbonate in it, as my eczema has really flared up this summer. I'l let you know if it works!
gary

Postby Maria D » Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:29 pm

Can anyone tell me what Crisco is? I have heard it mentioned on other web sites too. Is it available in the UK.
Maria D

Postby gary » Tue Jun 19, 2001 7:54 am

I find that aqueous cream with a few drops of good quality pure chamomile and a few drops of frankinsense to help repair the skin does help.
Dont use the rubbish mixed with a carrier oil, find a proper aromatherapy supplier for the pure oils. The chamomile also helps to relax too.
gary

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:37 pm

I have had eczema off and on since a baby.
Recently I bought a tube of Aloe Vera to use to help heal a kittens sore bottom (I work in an animal sanctuary). At the time my hands were cracked, I was just beginning to get into the crack, itch, scratch, make worse cycle, when I rubbed this Gelly all over my hands. Within 2 days my hands were lovely and smooth no sign of cracks. So it might be worth a try. There is an interesting site on www.aloevera.co.uk. The aloe propolis cream looks interesting too.
I also find Eurax cream stops itching.
Diane

Postby jack » Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:41 am

sarah, try a lanolin free cream like ungeuntum. it may do the trick.
jack

Postby Anonymous » Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:55 am

Crisco is a shortening used in baking.
Anonymous

Next

Return to Other/creams/miracle cures/etc etc