Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Wau Wa Cream

Wau Wa Cream

Postby Liz » Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:47 pm

As an adult sufferer I have recently been introduced this Nigerian remedy. It is derived from yams, I am told, and it comes in the form of soap and cream. I was given a small sample which I have used for two days and the improvement is noticeable already. However, I am reluctant to continue using the product until I find some further information about it's long term effects. Can anyone help?
Liz

Re: Wau Wa Cream

Postby EczemaVoice » Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:12 pm

Hi Liz, read the following message. It was in a copy of Exchange, the NES magazine, regarding Wau Wau cream from the NES

Wau Wa Cream warning
Many people have been enquiring about this cream. For those who do not know about it, it is a cream from Ghana that claims to be made from petroleum jelly and the juice of the Wau Wa plant. We have been unable to find out what the Wau Wa plant is. It has been available in the UK for some time via certain health food shops and over the internet.
Some people have found the cream beneficial for the treatment of eczema. It has caused interest amongst dermatologists and the National Eczema Society because it appears to be so effective. However, according to tests carried out by the Medical Controls Agency (MCA) it contains clobetasol propionate. Clobetasol propionate is a very potent topical steroid, which is used for severe eczema. It should only be used in exceptional circumstances and with medical supervision.
If you are using Wau Wa cream, we advise you to stop. Use your prescribed topical steroid and your favourite emollient cream. You may find that you have a flare-up as you adjust from the Wau Wa cream to your regular topical steroid. If you are concerned, speak to your GP.
Those of you wishing to carry this forward in terms of a formal complaint against Wau Wa cream should write to:

Jane Robinson, Medical Controls
Agency,
Market Towers, 1 Nine Elms Lane, London SW8 5NQ
EczemaVoice

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:31 pm

hi liz, i know the cream. Have used it my self, drastic improvements, but its a suppresent,it contains a steriod called clobetasol, content around 0.05%, which in its self is a small amount, but it is one of the most potent steriods available. My advice, use it very sparingly, and when you have to, if you can go without using it for a week or so then its ok (in my judgement that is), i'm not a doctor but have been told this by my dermatologist. I use it with a moisturiser like e45 or aqeous (spelling?) cream. Avoid using on the face. Hope this helps.
Anonymous

Postby Neelam » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:43 pm

where can i get the cream from? i tried a friends recently and it worked really well. apparantly its illegal in this country....is this true?
Neelam

Postby siggy79 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:30 pm

steriod creams are better used in large amounts until the skin shows signs of improvement. Once the skin improves use in smaller and smaller amounts until it is not needed. Damage to the skin happens when steriod creams are used in small amounts for a long period of time. Steriod creams (i'm contradicting some doctors here!) are best for SHORT TERM use ONLY - DON't let a doctor tell you otherwise (they'll tell you anything to get you out of the door anyway!!)
siggy79

Postby tony » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:51 am

Dear all

Let me warn you all about this cream, i am a long term suffer of atopic eczema so when it was suggested i try this so called 'Herbal Cream' i jumped at the chance. Although the cream worked very well it began to bleach my skin to a point where could see the viens in my hands. However, the real problem occured whwen i stopped usuing the cream, in all my years of having this skin disorder, i hve never experienced such a dramatic change in my skin condition to the point where can honestly say i was suicidely...............please don't touch it and those so brothers and sister who sell this cream should be locked up ....bastards !!
tony

Postby adventist40 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:46 pm

I have just been given the telephone number of someone who has used the cream and found that it was helpful she stated that her Dr tested it and found that it did not contain a steriod but from what you are all sayiong it contains a worse product. Everythying I have used on my daughter from steroids to emolliants from the GP has not worked and frankly I am looking for something anything else.
adventist40

Postby rose » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:53 pm

my 6 month old baby suffers from eczema since she was 3 months old.the gp gave her oilatum,fucidin cream and cetraben emollient cream.but it does not heal nor lessen her eczema.a friend introduce the wau wa cream which her son also uses.i don't know what to do cause some says that it has a steriods but that is the only cream that my baby uses and from the very start she uses wau wa cream the next day i saw the sudden change on her skin.im afraid what side effects this could bring to my baby but this is the only medicine that helps her not having eczema anymore.can anyone help?
rose

Postby april » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:19 am

I and my dad both have eczema and have recently heard
about a new cream with the initals B.U.T.T. has anyone heard about it please let me know via e-mail. This is not a joke. I would apperciate any help thank you
april

Postby jenny » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:54 am

My daughter suffers from eczema since birth, I have tried so many different creams and bath oils, it is making her life a misery. I have noticed it has now started speading to her face. Does anybody know if diet plays a part in this ?
Can anyone recommend anything that has helped them ? My daughter is now 7yrs old and bullied at school. Please help.

Jennifer Harris
jenny

Next

Return to Other/creams/miracle cures/etc etc