Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

It dosent get rid of eczema but it soothes it....!

It dosent get rid of eczema but it soothes it....!

Postby young expert » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:40 pm

Hi,im only 11 but my kid brother has eczema(it weeps realy bad and flares up all scaley and red),we try all these creems and tablits to sooth him but there is only one creem that soothes him its called on CALENDULA creem.You can get it from THE HOMOPATHIC PEOPLE.Its only £2.50 for a medium sized tub.If you have a baby with eczema and u cant leave them for one second without them scratcing themselves to pieces, try getting them a size up in baby grows and tying the ends of the arms up with mini hair bands,so they dont get their nails in their skin!

from young expert

p.s people always staring at ya baby or u? dont worry ...just think wat ya starin at big eyes ...but watch ya thoughts dont come out verbaly!
young expert

Re: It dosent get rid of eczema but it soothes it....!

Postby ruth » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:46 am

hi, i wasn't sure which category to put this in, but i have recently been using a cream with a local anaesthetic agent in it i.e. lignocaine 1% either before or during application of topical medications e.g. elidel,steroids and have found that it seems to help ease or even stop the burning painful sensation that can come with these creams. I am in Australia and the cream i have been using is called 'Paxyl' made by Faulding Industries and I remember years ago i used to use heaps of it when i got sunburnt as a kid and remember finding it to be very helpful. I am sure that there are many different brands around depending on the country in which you come from but I would be interested to hear to see if this helps anyone else as it has us. Another benefit with this cream is that it also has antiseptic and anti-itch properties as well - and is specifically designed for irritated/chafed/burnt skin. it can be kept in the fridge as well - sometimes that can give extra cooling/pain relief depending on whether you can handle cold creams being rubbed on. i just keep it in a cupboard along with all the other stuff!!!. just an idea that may help others
ruth

Postby ruth » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:24 am

hi, yep its me again - i'm hoping we can get a new thread created on this because its about creating your own creams to help with eczema. i know you might think that this is difficult - but believe me - it isn't. remember i am NOT talking of curative creams here - just creams that you can make/experiment with that are helpful.
i found some receipes for body butter type creams in our local newspaper and couldn't believe how easy it is to make them. one drawback - or perhaps it is a plus - is that these don't have all the preservatives/colourings that commercial brands do - so probably best to keep them in the fridge for when needed. since i go through a bucketload each week - i think you will find you will have a high turnover anyhow. another plus is that the ingredients are EASY to find, cheap, and can be bought through any local type stores anywhere in the world.
okay - this is mine - feel free to give it a go!

ECZEMA BODY BUTTER

200 g vaseline ( i use cheaper supermarket brand e.g. homebrand in woolies)

500ml plain sorbelene cream (again i use cheaper supermarket brand - DONT USE LOTION - TOO RUNNY!)

50g cocoa or shea butter (can be bought at local pharmacy or cosmetic discounter shops e.g. priceline. i use Palmers brand)

200 ml of good quality oil (e.g. paraffin,olive, - DONT USE NUT OILS IF HAVE NUT ALLERGY!!!)

50 g beeswax (helps to harden mixture. Can be bought cheaply in 500g blocks from local beekeeper suppliers or more expensively through health food stores)

METHOD:

Melt beeswax over low heat in saucepan. Then add vaseline and also allow to melt through. Then add cocoa/shea butter and allow to melt through. Then add oil and mix. Allow to cool slightly and then add sorbolene cream to mixture - and using a whisk - whip it all in together. It will make a really heavy shiny cream which you can then put in clean containers and put in fridge to set. When cooled - take out and use.

YOu can add all sorts of other ingredients at the same time you add the sorbolene - but i find that this smells just beautiful on its own and hasn't stung my daughters skin. because it is a heavy oily based moisturiser too - i have found that it has kept her skin softer for longer - but i would appreciate any feedback/improvments you may have. i am only new to this myself. happy cooking!!!
ruth

Postby Rachel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:24 am

Hi,
I'm 31 now and have used all sorts of creams on my eczema. For the past 10 years I have very much gone down the natural therapies route and luckily found things that work for me. I have found with the natural therapies that different things work for different people so don't give up.
This is what I have found that has worked better for me that anything else I have tried.
The main product I use is called VIOLA TRICOLOR, its a fresh herb extract made by BIOFORCE. It is a liquid but I use it in a couple of different ways. If I am feeling really itchy I'll put a quarter of the bottle in my bath and its amazing how soothing it feels. The itching really calms down which for me is half the battle, at least you then feel reasonably comfortable.
I also use it with aqueous cream, I know there are alot of mixed reports about this cream but I personally haven't had a problem with it. I use it as a base cream, get a little pot and almost fill it with the cream and then mix in again about quarter of a bottle of VIOLA TRICOLOR. I use this a lot on my face as I get re-occuring eczema on my face a lot which I hate. I find that if I use this as soon as I feel it starting to dry and go itchy it seems to stop it flaring up and going bright red.
I hope that someone else finds this helpful, it really has made a great difference for me.
If you have problems getting hold of VIOLA TRICOLOR try www.health-store.co.uk
Its a very good natural health store.
Rachel

Postby katie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:52 pm

i am 18 and i dont like wearing tops that show my arms cuz the backs of them are realy red and spotty iv used all different creams such as coco butter, e45 and oils of the doctors but none of it works i find if i dont have a bath for 2 days it dries it up but ovusly i cant go with out having a bath ,, any sugestions for drying up skin???? id be greatfull
katie

Postby Pam » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:39 pm

Hello, I have a grandson who had dreadful eczema as a baby- people would stare at him and ask what was wrong. He looked awful and was in terrible discomfort. He hardly slept and cried for long periods. What worked for him was to stop using any soap or shampoo- just bathe him in warm water. It worked like magic. Even now he is a big boy of nine he does not have any soap in bathwater, but he can wash his hands in soap. We wash his hair with organic shampoo. His skin has been perfect for years.
Best wishes from Pam.
Pam

Postby aeromint » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:58 am

Hi, Good idea Ruth, about having a separate thread for home made creams etc, so we can share our knowledge/experience with others.

I made up the viola cream for eczema from the program "Grow your own drugs."
My son and I use it because it has a positive effect on our skin, so i will be making another batch. The active eczema seems to calm down (be patient it may take a few days), our skin is able to breathe (v. important) and it's completely natural. Even my husband (non eczema sufferer) also uses on his hands as they are v. dry/cracked.

I thought i would give it go and if it worked, it would save us some money. Often the "natural" creams are v. expensive and come in small tubs/pots.

Good luck.
aeromint

Postby Mae » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 pm

i think you can start use cream with q10 coenzyme. but anti-aging crmeas it's to early! start using it when you find wrinkles o your face, so about < 30. using cream under eyes is important in every age. but if u don't have wrinkles don't use strong anti-wrinkle crmeas
Mae

Postby Sofiya » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I think Nivea has the best product out there for hydatring the skin, I use their lotion during the summer and their body out for the winter when my skin used to be dry, now it's always soft and never dry. I've used other lotions by other companies but I always had to re-apply during the day, not with Nivea. I apply once and don't think about it for the rest of the day they are great.
Sofiya

Postby Grass » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 am

I don't think that those creams work. They are bilacalsy just lotion. I haven't has any success. But alot of people say that Murad works well.The best thing for you to do is exercise and burn it off. Good Luck
Grass

Next

Return to Other/creams/miracle cures/etc etc