Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Osas cream

Osas cream

Postby weed » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi,

I'm really interested if any one has verified any independent information about the osas cream?
weed

Re: Osas cream

Postby Rose » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:37 am

Hi, after reading about the OSAS lotion i went onto the website and ordered a bottle. I couldn't find an ingredients list but i emailed the company to see what the ingredients were. I didn't think there would be any chemicals as the website says its 99% natural ingredients. I received a reply very quickly, the ingredients are as follows:

Aqua, Kosher veg, Clotrimazole, Glycerin, Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Palm Stearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vitamin E Acetate, Phenoxy, Ethanol, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Isobutyl/ Methyl/ Propyl Parabens

I have an allergy to parabens, so sadly im going to have to return the lotion, but hopefully it will work for other people as there are some really good reviews.

x x x
Rose

Postby weed » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:17 am

I'm just a bit concerned that it might contain steroids? Does anyone know if this is the case?
weed

Postby Rose » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:34 am

It doesn't contain steroids. I emailed the company to check as I was concerned about that too, since it has such good results I thought it might have high levels of steroid.

Hope that helps
Rose

Postby Weed » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:31 am

Hi, just an update. I contacted Emily and she is sending the cream for steroid testing to an independent company and has also sent the cream to the government body regulating such creams, lotions etc. This is just to alleviate any concerns people might have!

This cream has worked WONDERS for my daughter. I've been using it about twice a day for over a week now and her eczema is clearing completely. The patches are smoother and she has stopped scratching! She's no longer waking up at night scratching and is sleeping soooo much better (first time in her 20months!). What's so fab about this cream is that she seems to tolerate food that would previously cause flare ups! I've only tried a few foods but will try out a few more like the soya milk and maybe even some cheese! I can't recommend this cream enough. Her skin is better and her diet is not so restricted! Absolutely amazing cream!

Soon I'll just be using her 100% organic cream only and the osas occasionally - about once a week!
Weed

Postby Weed » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Geeta,

I thought you might find this information on the main groups of eczema useful:

# Atopic: the ‘allergic’ type often seen in people who also have hay fever or asthma.

# Allergic contact: due to skin contact to a substance to which the individual is sensitive. The same substance does not cause eczema in a person who is not sensitive to it.

# Irritant contact: due to skin contact with irritating chemicals, powders, cleaning agents, etc. Contact with such a substance is likely to cause eczema in any person, although a degree of individual variation still exists.

# Discoid: appears as discrete islands of eczema on a background of normal skin.

# Seborrhoeic: in infants appears in the nappy area and the scalp. In adults, also appears on the scalp and in the skin creases between the nose and sides of the mouth. Can be caused by yeast infection.

# Others: a miscellaneous group including eczema of the legs caused by varicose veins and pompholyx – an intensely itchy form located on the hands and composed of small or (sometimes) large blisters.

So eczema can be caused by different things. My daughter is also allergic to many foods but she is also very sensitive to environmental factors such as pets and washing up powder. Try changing your washing up powder to Surcare which can be found in most supermarkets and is designed for sensitive skin. I did try ecover for my daughter as I prefer to use more ecological and natural products, but she reacted to this. Surcare did make a difference.

Weed

Postby Weed » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi Nas,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I was told that steroid creams usually mean that the eczema comes back straight away after use whereas with the osas it does not??

I've only been using it for about 10days on my daughter. I'm just waiting for the lab results about steroid content before I commit to buying another one.
The cream I mentioned is called "Organic Chickweed & Calendula cream" and it can be found at earthbound.co.uk I can't put the full website address here as it won't allow me to put the www at the front. The earthbound organics stuff is wonderful! And the creams are all handmade.
Weed

Postby BrianW » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Please be reassurred that osas Intense Body Lotion contains no known steroid, it relies purely on the healing qualities of the Aloe plant and contains a minute amount of Clotrimazole as an anti fungal to fight infections, most of the other ingredients are used as a binder to help prevent seperation of the ingredients over time, preservatives and provide an exceptable aroma. The product is produced under EU guidlines and controls that meet current legislation.
Thank you.
BrianW

Postby brianw » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Nas, some chemist shops do stock the product, however most pharmacy outlets are supplied by the two big drug distributors Lloyds and Uni Chem, becomming a preferred supplier to these organisations takes a lot of effort and cost which this small manufacturer is unable to invest. Also the big boys like to dictate their terms which are not always in the interest of the suppliers or consumers needs. AAH is the other big national distributor but focuses mainly on hospital supplies and the two big companies. I believe the other independent medical supplier McCarthy was swallowed up by one of the two big companies. As the NHS concentrate on prescibed mediciines and not over the counter products it is difficult to get doctors to prescibe alternative treatments. Have you ever had a doctor prescribe acupuncture or herbal cures, not often? Nowadays although medicines and drugs can be very effective in treating ailments, long term use often involves side effects for patients which could lead to increased intolerances causing further allergies. Consequently more consumers and scientist are turning back to natural therapies which have long been neglected. OSAS is one of these products which as already mentioned relies on the extracts of the Aloe plant which has been used for over 500 years. Therefore there is no voodoo involved or secret ingredients. I'm only happy that people find it a great relief and it does work for a lot of sufferers as that was our intention when introducing this to the eczema community.
Regards.
brianw

Postby Weed » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi Brian,

I was just wondering if there are natural alternatives to the clotrimazole and parabens in the osas? I know that calendula is a mild anti-fungal - perhaps there are stronger natural anti-fungals? Also, my concern over parabens - are there any natural preservatives that could have been used? I do love what this cream has done for my daughter's skin and would love it if all the ingredients were natural (I do appreciate that the greater part of the cream is natural 99.4% I believe?) And I love the fact that this cream harnesses the great natural power of Aloe.

I did in the end outweigh the gains over using this cream over my concerns about parabens and it has provided her with so much relief!

Weed
Weed

Next

Return to Other/creams/miracle cures/etc etc