Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Water/General

Re: Water/General

Postby Vicki Car » Mon Dec 04, 2000 9:08 pm

If l leave London my skin automatically improves in area which have softer water. Does anyone have any information about types of water softeners and which ones are suitable for eczema? Any information will be gratefully recieved.
Vicki Car

Postby paul barry » Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:31 am

Viki,
I have recently bought a water softner from a
company called waterways,they are based in west wickam in kent 0208 777 6929.
It cost me about £600 but i fitted it myself.
My eczema too appears to get better in soft water,
i will let you know if mine improves with the softner.
ps there are a lot of web sites for softners and
also filters which take out chlorine etc.
Hope this helps Paul
paul barry

Postby S GREGORY » Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:29 pm

My 3 year old has had eczema since he was two months old. Initially it was controlled using moisturising cream (diprobase). Until the summer after his first birthday when the skin on his arms and legs became very red and hot to touch. However, at this age he had not yet discovered scratching and so we survived without any steroids. The summer after his second birthday was a different story. Now he was an expert at scratching, scratching and more SCRATCHING. A glazed expression would appear on his face and no amount of distraction could deter him from scratching. There was blood on his clothes, on the bed sheets, furniture. His sleep was disturbed, we never slept for more than an hour or so. His usual cream appeared to irritate more than soothe. Finally we had all had enough. I had read about wet wrapping, and at my request the doctor sent us to dermatology outpatients so that we could learn how to apply the bandages. He scratched all the way to the hospital, but did not even try to scratch on the way home. Now wearing the tubifast bandages on his arms and legs, with liquid paraffin in white soft paraffin underneath (still no steroids). We had a brilliant nights sleep. However we found that we had to reapply the tubifast about every four hours, day and night, but at least this brought relief to our little boy. His skin did not appear to look much better, but he was not scratching, and was more alert during the day because he was sleeping better at night. As the summer progressed the wet wrapping was having less soothing effect. Bathtime was horrible. We tried oils, warm water, cooler water but finally
realised that it may be that the water was irritating his skin. Baths stopped, I bought a water filter jug and some hard water filter cartridges from Boots. Our little boy was then washed with a flannel with this water (warmed in the kettle), whilst watching a favourite video. His hair was washed leaning over a bowl, using a jug. He is washed like this only once a week. Although conflicting with some advice which says that regular bathing is a must for skin with eczema. We found the opposite is necessary. Our son has never been more alert, his skin has never looked so good . We are all much happier, if a little smellier! since we stopped the daily baths for our son. It is still necessary for us to use the wet wraps, but not constantly, and when we do they work.
S GREGORY

Postby Sharm » Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:14 pm

I have an NSA water filter which you can get hot and cold water out off so I have started bathing my baby it this water we have very hard water to the point where you have to use a scraper to get off all the buildup. Its a bit more work to fill buckets up take them upstairs to bath but its worth it. I have a 2 year old son i'm starting to do it with him too he does not have eczema but it will be better for his skin. We rent or I would get it put directly into our water system. Sharmaine
Sharm

Postby P.Farrand » Tue Jun 05, 2001 12:06 pm

Have you any information on waters softeners, which will improve the skin.
How is the unit fitted? will it supply soft water to the bath and basin or is the whole house supplied.
P.Farrand

Postby Gareth » Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:56 am

I've just fitted a softener, bought from Anglian Water, and it seems to be improving things for my wife already.

As you shouldn't drink the softened water, I had to plumb in some valves to switch the kitcen tap between hard and soft water to remove the need for a third tap. All other water in the house is now soft.

If you want to know what you need to do this, drop me a mail.
Gareth

Postby eczemavoice » Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:01 pm

Gareth - how much did this cost you?
You sound like an expert plumber!
eczemavoice

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:43 pm

Sorry I'm a bit slow in replying, we've just had a baby so I'm not in work at the moment!

The plumbing bit was quite cheap (think the actual softener cost £300, and was a gift from generous in-laws).

It was a hassle running the extra fresh water line to the kitchen, but the valves were dead cheap (£10 each) from RS (RSWWW.COM). They are solenoid valves that run off 240V, and I used a standard 2 way light switch to switch between hard and soft.

No, I'm not a plumber - but I am a chartered electrical engineer! You don't need any special skills to set it up though, all my professional experience did was help to find the valves.

If yoou've got more time/money than me, I could suggest a few improvements to what I've done.

We've been using the softener for a while now, but it's hard to gauge the effects. My wife's skin is affeted more by pregenancy/child birth at the moment, and Sam's skin is good at the moment anyway (although it does feel even softer to the touch). My skin is now smoother than the proverbial baby's bottom, which is going to be great next time I have to do something physical!

Hope the above isn't too technical.
Gareth

Water/General

Postby noam » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:31 am

I find that water consumption really helps with eczema / dermatitis and practically every other aspect of health. Many doctors say that you need a minimum of six to eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. And some believe that, overall, the average person should drink about half their body weight in ounces of water per day - so if you're 160 pounds, you'd drink about 80 ounces, or ten 8 ounce glasses of water (but more if you exercise). Most people don't drink much water so, if you're going to start increasing it, it's recommended you do it slowly so that your kidneys can keep up and you urinate more. Water will literally wash electrolytes like sodium, calcium, magnesium and potassium out of your system, so you have to keep those up as well, especially if you have a low salt diet. You can find some of these electrolytes in sea salt, which is different than table salt. There is a good book about this : "Your Body's Many Cries For Water". Anyway, just a thought.
noam

Postby noam » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:32 am

I find that water consumption really helps with eczema / dermatitis and practically every other aspect of health. Many doctors say that you need a minimum of six to eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. And some believe that, overall, the average person should drink about half their body weight in ounces of water per day - so if you're 160 pounds, you'd drink about 80 ounces, or ten 8 ounce glasses of water (but more if you exercise). Most people don't drink much water so, if you're going to start increasing it, it's recommended you do it slowly so that your kidneys can keep up and you urinate more. Water will literally wash electrolytes like sodium, calcium, magnesium and potassium out of your system, so you have to keep those up as well, especially if you have a low salt diet. You can find some of these electrolytes in sea salt, which is different than table salt. There is a good book about this : "Your Body's Many Cries For Water". Anyway, just a thought.
noam

Next

Return to Water