Welcome to the EczemaVoice discussion forum. Since 2000 we have tried to keep the forum open so that you do not have to register. However due to increasing amounts of spam we have now reluctantly taken the decision to require users to register first. We hope you understand, thank you.

Shampoo/Conditioners

Shampoo/Conditioners

Postby david cartlidge » Sun Dec 31, 2000 3:11 pm

Does anyone know of Dandruff shampoo's/conditioners that are suitable for Eczema.
The normal lot are coloured & fragranced.
I normally use baby products for gentleness but although they don't give a rash, they don't destroy dandruff.
I've tried a few different types of dandruff shampoo's but often get a sore forehead and itchy scalp.
david cartlidge

Re: Shampoo/Conditioners

Postby Christina » Sat Jan 06, 2001 9:41 pm

Oilatum produce a shampoo for dry and itchy scalps. However it is very expensive and it is fragranced so probably not much better than baby shampoos.

My husband had eczema on his scalp that he used to apply Betnovate to with little success. Our GP suggested that once a week he uses Nizoral shampoo (that he gets on prescription and is available over the counter) and then day-to-day uses The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff shampoo with conditioner(recommended by our GP). This has worked really well and within a few months he could stop using the steroids. His scalp remains clear and if he does get the odd patch of eczema he just dabs on some hydrocortisone for a couple of days and it clears.
Christina

Postby sherry » Wed Jan 24, 2001 8:11 pm

Clinique do a brilliant range of shampoos and conditioners - which are all allergy tested and fragrance free. They ar comaprably more expensive than other brands, but last a while. For itchy scalps - I would recommend a coal tar product, such as Polytar shampoo. It is available over the counter for about £4. Also try the Nutralia and Neutrogena range - again I've found both to be good and have not reacted. Best bet is to avoid anything fragranced and your half way there.
sherry

Postby jeff » Thu Jan 25, 2001 11:18 pm

I have found shampoo's that contain no skin irritants. Harsh chemicals just continue to sensitize the skin.
jeff

Postby Alison » Sat Jan 27, 2001 2:38 pm

I am looking for a shampoo for my 4 month old baby to stop her scalp from itching. My GP told me not to use shampoo, just plain water, but I think this makes it worse (being in a hard water area).
Alison

Postby jeff matthews » Fri Feb 02, 2001 1:06 pm

Here is a simple check to see if your shampoo is good for your skin whoever makes it. Ingredients:Does it have Sodium Laurel Sulphate in it (SLS)? Does it contain Propylene Glycol? Does it contain Fomaldehyde? There are others.

These ingredients are not good for skin whatever some counter sales person says. They don't know cause they have been trained to sell their stuff without questioning. The worst thing is even the very expensive brands have the same components as the cheap ones 'cause it's cheap to make. We are all paying for the advertising managers BMW when we buy these things. Sorry, its the truth. If you want to discuss this further contact me by e-mail.
jeff matthews

Postby duncan » Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:07 pm

Hi..I wonder if anyone can help. I suffer from eczema on my scalp, which gives me horrendous dandruff. A Dr prescribed polytar shampoo and also NIZORAL but they both made it worse. I have a steroid cream for eczema on the rest of my body. That seems to help, but its far too greasy to put in my hair. Any suggestions?
duncan

Postby Sam » Tue Mar 13, 2001 9:19 pm

Hi Duncan,
I've had a lot of success with a shampoo called Dennorex in the past. If you're from the UK, you can get it in Boots.

HTH

Sam
Sam

Postby Heather » Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:22 pm

Sam - is this shampoo OK for babies? My son's scalp drives him nuts with the itching, & rubbing makes it weep. I can't find any shampoo that relieves it. Capasal [coal tar] makes it worse.

Heather
Heather

Postby Sam » Wed Mar 14, 2001 8:51 pm

Hi Heather,
hmm I'm not sure about babies. It produces a kind of tingling effect on the scalp - not sure how this would go down with a baby. In addition I think you would have to keep it out of the baby's eyes.
Perhaps you could buy a small bottle and try it on yourself to begin with?

Not sure of that helped much, but good luck!

Sam
Sam

Next

Return to Baths/Showers/Shampoos/Bath Salts